Up eight pounds

(Marianne) #1

Went to the doctor today for a routine appointment. I am up eight pounds since March. :cry: The only time I weigh myself is when I go to the doctor’s. I knew I was up slightly, but not this much. Gotta lay off the daily champagne. It is taking my carbs up too far. That and I have been eating too much keto pizza in the past month or so (six squares at a time, it is so delicious), and occasional keto ice cream, both of which have carbs (cream, cheese and tomato sauce), and are high in calories. Time to be more diligent with my program. :pensive: Still feel great.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Two thoughts: One, it is probably the carbs. If you want alcohol, stick to the hard stuff, not wines such as Champagne. Two, how are your clothes fitting? If they still fit nicely, perhaps the eight-pound increase was muscle, not fat.

That’s nothing to sneeze at!

Given that the OP mentions pizza, ice cream and champagne but makes no mention of exercise then eight pounds of muscle in six months seems pretty unlikely.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

True, but even people who don’t exercise have been known to add lean tissue while losing fat. (Denser bones, perhaps?) I wasn’t claiming that was the reason, only that it was a possibility to investigate.

At least it’s pretty obvious where the problems are so fixing it should be easy. I’d also suggest weighing more. That’s a trend you could have caught in progress and adjusted course before it hit almost a 10lb gain.

(Trudy) #6

Sounds like you have a great plan to reign the treats in. Pre keto I could put on 6kg (13pounds) in one week. 8 pound in six or so months with a few indulgences, you’ve got this!

(Marianne) #7

Thanks, Paul. Two thoughts; 1) I appreciate how you always point out a positive perspective; 2) you are a great contributor to this forum.

Don’t think it’s muscle as I don’t exercise except what I do around the yard and occasional walking. My clothes feel fine and I think I look pretty much the same. Will have to knock off the champagne. Became a daily habit once I retired. Too many carbs; otherwise I don’t have a problem keeping them under twenty. I will have to make some adjustments to my program to get back in balance. Still loving keto.

An 8lb muscle gain is pretty huge! Even if you’re lifting for it that’s a respectable gain. Not gonna pull that off without specifically trying for it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

So what do I know? (Can you tell that whenever I get the urge to exercise, I lie down until it goes away, lol?)

But it can happen simply from eating keto. Dr. Phinney tells the story of one of his research subjects who was all upset at not losing as much weight as the other women in the study. A scan revealed that she had lost a comparable amount of fat (14 lbs., I believe), but had gained 7 lbs. of muscle and bone. It was not that long a study, either. Dr. Phinney speculated that it had to do with years of calorie restriction, and when the woman’s body finally got enough food, it took advantage.

You are ok :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink: You see it, you know it, you know probably the causes cause you listed what you know is going down for you and know what effects you are getting…so you are in good shape. You caught it, you know, NOW YOU WILL ACT to correct it and put yourself back in a good place for ya! Cool, I see nothing but good things coming for you truly!!

(Jane Srygley) #11

I personally gain weight every time I drink alcohol. I’ve also gained weight with the keto treats. Getting plenty of protein is the only way I was able to get my eating under control after over a year doing keto. Good luck!

(Marianne) #12

Thank you so much for such an encouraging post! I am back on the straight and narrow - no more keto pizza (because it’s too easy to eat, just to eat) and have switched to vodka mixed in a large glass of water instead of champagne. It’s yucky, so I really haven’t been indulging very much. The rest of my keto is very clean - only a piece of meat and a veggie/salad for dinner.

Thanks, everyone!

We all walk a path. What to give up, find something we go crazy on and more. I know I was there big time but the difference between those who make it and those who never yet see it full picture. IS THAT post ya wrote.

I saw you know you. You know and you will fix and that is all any of us can do when we ‘wanna be so bad and test those darn limits’ but at some point you come back into knowing and full strength of what it takes for you and you are willing to do just that.

I got full truth of fact that you will change it up, grab on, eat a ton of ‘good foods that suit you’ and change it around a bit.

These small weirdo times can make or break us truly but you, from your post, see it, handle it and thrive forward!!! Just your words make me feel you are oh so ok truly!

(Marianne) #14

:hugs:

Thank you so much.

Unlike many things, I have never taken keto for granted. It is my personal miracle and I am awed by how easy it is to maintain (for me), and what it has done for me. I think that is because by the time I found it, all of the fight was out of me after a lifetime of food addiction and what keto offered was so much better than what any carbage or sweets could temporarily provide. So many people here helped me. When I read posts from newbies or people who are on again/off again, I wish they could reach that realization and see how easy and enjoyable it can be to just let go and eat to live.

God bless.

very very true. I know all the fight is gone statement!! I think so many of us were on that ‘I QUIT for life’ or ‘I fight one last time’ line and thank goodness we found plans that friggin’ DO WORK :slight_smile: It can be exhausting for sure and for those of us taking years to figure it out, you are right, we are tired from that fight! But darn if some of us don’t say one more time, ‘just one more plan to try’ LOL Fight is hidden in us huh? :sunny: Secret ninja warriors!