Ugh! Can’t get back into ketosis!

(Running from stupidity) #21

No.

It takes my body 1-3 days of fasting to return to my normal state of ketosis. Working out will lower my BG faster, but I never recorded a weight loss the following day. I don’t know why. I worked out occasionally for health reasons but it didn’t help me lose any of the 80 lbs that I eventually lost. It may have helped preserve muscle mass, I dunno.

I’m now focused on body composition, trying to gain muscle without a net change in weight. I’m doing resistance training, fasting less, eating more, but I haven’t figured it out yet. Its certainly a slower and more complicated process than losing weight was.

(Omar) #23

I doubt the ketone meter or strips

(Anne Brodie) #24

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. It has to have affected your hormones in addition to everything else.

Some people don’t register many ketones after being on keto for a while, but I do even being “fat-adapted.” When mine have gone down to almost nothing, so far has always been something I was eating, not eating, or doing. Extended fasting when already doing low calorie and low carb did not work for me at all. I also want to eat and live in a way I can maintain over time. I am writing because there IS something that has done it every time for me.

I go back to the basics of bacon and other meat, eggs, and cheese. This includes being careful there are not carbs in the meat or cheese from added sugar or fillers (like often in sausage or on beef jerky). Making my own really helps in this. I make a huge batch of bacon, boil some eggs, and cut up cheese and I’m good to go at work. Using limited (maybe a teaspoon) of coconut oil in coffee for the MCTs and plenty of butter as desired on the food. At home I might have a burger patty or fried egg or similar that needs cooking and try to actually eat MORE up to around 1300-1500 calories. Not saying this is good or not over the long term, but within a couple of days my ketones raise and it makes me feel that things are working. That I am strong and stable and have a baseline from which to add and find out what else works for me. Even logically understanding the things that people say about not chasing ketones, this has made me feel better and is why I’m sharing.

No matter what your choices, I have the sense that you are a strong individual, will figure this out, and I hope you post so I can follow your success.