Typical grocery haul

(Chelsea Barnett) #1

Anyone care to share their typical grocery haul? I feel like I always buy the same things. I need ideas. I always get bacon , chicken breast, pork chop, ground beef. I’m good on meats but clueless to other keto friendly foods. I don’t want to spend an arm and leg on other items because I also have to shop for a family of 6 and the rest of my family is eating a regular diet. That’s why I mainly get meats because they all eat that as well. I just prepare my portions separately.

(Chelsea Barnett) #2

Today I got asparagus, cauliflower rice , broccoli and cheese. But that’s all I got. I don’t want to get burnt out on the same food. And oh my gosh. I bought some Raos sauce and that’s like 7 bucks a jar. I got it to make pizza dip. But is there any other keto friendly food that isn’t so pricey

(Short224) #3

What about eggs for egg salad or anything and tuna fish it’s cheap I am down to one meal a day so it’s less expensive now I really enjoy steak and shrimp :yum:

(Chelsea Barnett) #4

I was doing one meal a day But the past 2 days omg I’ve ate 2 or 3 meals. It’s easier for me to do one meal a day if I wait for dinner. Because if I eat breakfast I end up eating later. I’m weak lol

(Chelsea Barnett) #5

Egg salad is a good idea. I haven’t made that yet. I like egg salad. :slight_smile: I forgot I can do that with keto.
And I have canned tuna so maybe I can make macaroni tuna salad and leave out the macaroni haha

(Short224) #6

I know I am the same if I eat breakfast I’m hungry through the day I typically eat dinner only . Yes egg salad is yummy and I love mine with green olives if you like them try it !

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

I generally browse the meat case, find the bargain, go to town on that. The only center food aisle that I visit regularly is the baking aisle, for spices. And that infrequently. Otherwise, it’s all margins… produce, deli, fish, butcher, dairy case, diet soda.

Eggs, fried and scrambled are my jam.

(Chelsea Barnett) #8

Thanks. Maybe I need to add more spices to the meat I cook and that will help me not get tired of it. What spices do you like ? So far I’m lawrys and pepper on everything. And crushed red pepper on a lot.

(Short224) #9

So for my tuna I use a seasoning called Sazon with crushed pepper and red onions so good ! My meat I use garlic salt on everything and just discovered a creole seasoning it’s tony chacheres I also will not eat a hamburger or a steak with out some browned garlic it definitely takes it to another level .

(Chelsea Barnett) #10

Thanks so much. I’ll try this:)

(Short224) #11

What part of NC are u in anyway?

(Chelsea Barnett) #12

I live in elm city. Most people haven’t heard of that. I’m about 30 mins from Greenville. More people know of Greenville:)

(Chelsea Barnett) #13

So for browned garlic, do you just throw some minced garlic in the pan and brown it before you cook the meat or is there a brown garlic sauce

(Short224) #14

Yes exactly I cut up fresh garlic Brown it a bit with olive oil then cook my meat and put the garlic on top I have always loved garlic it makes everything taste better. Oh wow I’m in New Bern that’s crazy we are that close !

(Chelsea Barnett) #15

I never really tried garlic like that. I’ve used garlic powder and garlic sauce before while making spaghetti sauce. But I’ll definitely try it with meats.
And wow. That is crazy. Newbern isn’t far at all. Less than an hour away.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

Let’s see… I start with Adam Perry Lang’s Four Seasons on near about every meat I cook now.

That’s salt, pepper, garlic salt, and a bit of cayenne.
My first batch, I basically atomized, which was a bad idea, as the pepper is weaponized sneeze inducing. But it gives anything on the grill a nice zip.

I know a lot of folks are fond of Simon and Garfunkel rub, I make it without sugar:

Cocoa and Chile without the brown sugar from this recipe:

(if I’m completely honest, I add a teaspoon of the brown sugar, and count it fully, split on 4 servings).

I like anything that gives an exotic flavor to foods. Cinnamon works really well in savory applications. Cardamom is another secret weapon… fresh grated nutmeg (buy whole nutmeg, grate what you need with a microplane or a zester), allspice… also give exotic flavors. Uhm… oh yeah, I use citrus peel when I feel something needs a hit of acid. dried lemon peel, orange peel, lime peel.

I have cheated a bit. I get the lime and lemon juice from the produce section, but they can also be found in the center aisles.

For a luxe hit of wonder (or to make things taste like dirt), Truffle salt. I think it’s wonderous. My wife think it tastes like dirt. More for me. Added to eggs, or steak, or asparagus with butter… YES.

My pantry list

(Chelsea Barnett) #18

I’ve never tried any of this. The cinnamon sounds odd. But I can’t knock it until I try it. And I’m going to try that. And I’ll look for the other seasoning and Maybe try to make that one you said you make if I get around to it.
Not too sure about the truffle salt , as I would probably think it tasted like dirt too. But I will eventually end up trying that as well probably.

Have you ever been a chef ? I kind of get that vibe from your comment lol

(Chelsea Barnett) #19

Dude. Omg thanks so much for that.

(Maha) #20

Sometimes I cook a roast, like a pot roast, either in the crock pot or sous vide. Chicken always works. Then the next night it’s leftovers, the next night it’s either cut up left over meat as a salad bar option or I make quesadillas. If I’m not eating, I use tortillas. If I’m eating, it’s with beat up eggs as the tortilla (my family calls it an “omelet”, but what do they know?). Or have a taco bar. If your original seasonings aren’t too strong, you can add some taco seasonings. When I do a taco bar, it’s a taco salad for me.

I did that this week and we still have meat for a couple of more meals, but I think they’re getting tired of repurposed dinner. At this point, I’ll probably just freeze the rest for a different time.