Two sets of people viewing the same info, yet reaching different conclusions

(Bob M) #1

I finally finished this:

Toward the end, they discuss their visit to the Hazda, and she has gone back multiple times. There are different Hazda tribes, but when they discuss a particular tribe, they discuss how the tubers the women foraged and cooked were so fibrous that they ended up spitting out a lot of it. They then stated that people trying to track what this tribe ate would take the whole tuber and say that the Hazda ate a higher fiber diet, even though they didn’t eat most of the tuber.

From this, they concluded that, while there were some carbs from the tubers, the Hazda ate mainly a high meat, low carb diet.

Meanwhile, there’s this guy:

He goes to the Hazda, sees them eating these tubers, and remarks that they (and him, since he ate them too) spit out a lot of the tubers. His conclusion? The Hazda eat (and we should too) a high carb diet.

Ah, what?

Two groups of people seeing the same thing, yet reaching completely different conclusions.

This is why I look for the biases in people. What do they believe? Often, this is what you will get.

(Bob M) #2

By the way, is it possible to turn off the automatic running of the podcast? It attempted to run a lot. It was driving me crazy.

I don’t know how anyone can arrive there when the tubers are emergency food (they can find it any time even though he naturally prefers more nutritious food) and not THAT carby to begin with… They are some super fiber-y, low nutritious stuff, right? Even if they have a lot of it, most of it is just annoying fiber and the rest isn’t a ton of sugar either… I never saw data about the tuber but I can’t imagine it like some modern super sugary produce, it’s just something to be found in the wild, it’s not high-carb…

And why would we eat like them anyway…

In a perfect world, they would probably eat a high-meat diet. Their hunting skills have not improved that much over time and are only successful about 1/4 of the time. Thus, for their survival, they need other foodstuffs other than meat, such as berries, honey, baobab fruit and partially eaten tubers.

Do you know what the life expectancy of the Hadza is? 31.5 years.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I’m not sure what you mean. I’m not hearing it here on the forums, and it stays turned off when I turn it off on Brian’s site.

If you’re hearing it on the forums, try logging out and also clearing your browser cache. If it’s still there when you log back in, let me know in a PM.

(Edith) #6

According to Wikipedia: A 2001 anthropological study on modern foragers found the Hadza to have an average life expectancy of 33 at birth for both men and women. Life expectancy at age 20 was 39 and the infant mortality rate was 21%.[37] More recently, Hadza adults have frequently lived into their sixties, and some have even reached their seventies or eighties. However, Hadza do not keep track of time and age exactly as the Western world does, and therefore these life expectancies are approximate and highly variable.

I would like to know if one didn’t include infant mortality and probably accidents in the calculation, what their life expectancy would be.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

It’s a good question. There are plenty of indications that peoples eating their traditional diet can live quite long, if they manage to survive to adulthood and don’t have any catastrophic injuries.