Two questions that I have

Today marks 8 weeks for me switching to a Keto Lifestyle, and I will also be completing a 3 day fast tomorrow morning at 10:30am. I’m feeling fine actually and could probably/possibly continue. But think I should stop it at 3 days for now, since it’s my first time fasting. More to gain experience and build from there. - But was wondering about a couple things…

1 - I didn’t have any, but was wondering if Erythritol would break a fast? I’ve looked around the forum, but couldn’t locate any mention or discussion on this. But was just wondering for future use.

2 - While reading post, I’ve seen where people mentioned stuff about breaking a fast. - I think one said to eat something small and give it an hour or so before having a meal. (Believe Olives were mentioned?) Also, I wasn’t sure if there were other things that would be better to do this with, or if there was any advice on what to avoid, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

(Mark) #2

In my personal experience a 3 day fast you don’t have to be to worried about refeeding syndrome or anything like that I think once you start going past 7 days and beyond,then be more careful not to over do it,olives are a good choice or eggs,I pretty much go 4 days or less,and never have had any issue when eating again,I just don’t go crazy,I like doing one meal a day

I completely agree with @Bacon Mark’s comments. Nothing to worry about. Sorry I can’t comment on erythritol as never use it but if it works for you and you need it, then that’s ok. I make my own rules so there’s no guilt attached :smile: Ali

@Bacon … Thanks, Mark. I actually did eat about 6 small olives and one deviled egg, than an hour later I ate 3 fried eggs, 5 pieces of bacon and a few sausage links. Felt fine. … But 15 minutes later I had some stomach issues and ended up going to the bathroom 4 or 5 times over the next 30-60 minutes. I’ll leave out the details. - But later for dinner I ate some Dungeness Grab, cottage cheese and a few strawberries in HWC. … So far all’s good. - Thanks again

@buffy … Thanks, Buffy. I was just asking about the Erythritol, since I find the KetoAide to have a sort-of flat or just an odd water taste, and was wondering if I could add a small amount just to knock that back a bit. … I have not been eating anything sweet and haven’t missed it. But thought it might help with the KetoAide. (I actually tied making it with Tea, but it still had that slight off taste. But it’s not a big deal. - Thanks again

(Diane) #5

I’ve heard Megan Ramos say they (IDM) recommend people not break their fasts with eggs or nuts since so many people find they have problems with them.

I would personally choose a little lemon juice or ACV over a sweetener to flavor ketoaid, but use whatever works for you.

Thanks for the info, Diane. Will definitely try something else from now on, and for some reason now I think I do recall reading a post mentioning about the eggs and nuts, but I guess it didn’t stay in the memory base. :slight_smile:

As for the KetoAide, I actually did add some ACV to one, and it wasn’t bad. But was just wondering about the Erythritol. - Thanks

(Alec) #7

Not a direct answer, but worth a read…

Thanks, Alec. Will definitely take a look. :+1: