Trying to stop seeing posts in the covid-19 category

(Bob M) #1

Tried this, but it doesn’t seem to work:

Even logged out and logged back in.

Any way I can block the covid-19 category?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Not entirely, in my experience. Muting the entire category should take care of most notifications, but if someone tags you personally in a thread, you will still get notified about that. But in general, you should be free of most of the annoyance.

If you posted in any of the threads in the COVID forum, you might need to mute each of them individually, I’m not sure. You can check by looking at a thread you posted in, and checking what its “follow” settings are, now that you’ve muted the entire category. I’m just not sure whether muting the category as a whole propagates to every individual thread. You should definitely not receive notifications from any thread you’ve not already read or posted in, however.

If this is not clear, PM me with questions, and I’ll do my best to be clearer.

(Bob M) #3

Thanks, Paul. I never look at my notifications, and don’t have them turned on.

I’ll try muting each thread to see what happens. Not sure when I can try that, though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You can do it as they show up (if they do) in your “latest threads” list.

covid is not keto related at ALL so while I ‘know we are ALL’ chatty on life but ‘the why’ puts this in our lifestyle of eating? We ARE KETO plan and we are extra eating plans like carnivore or ?? why do we bother to bring it here cause we all KNOW it is out there in our faces but what effects (other than emotional ) and yes I get that but geez…do we hold to nutrition eating plans thru health or do we ‘just be the forum site we are ‘meant to be’ ALL in with current events’? and include extras as a pandemic that is ‘off’ our focus? Who knows on that one?? I have no site control :wink:

this site is food and health and intake to make that and while an outside influence like a virus is out there in a wild and super whooly world of crazy now is it 'really Keto or ZC related?? Nope in truth… and to what level? Speak of the hardships in a personal journal cool…take it out there as a ket/zc/lc menu I get it but it is not a ‘how to eat thru pandemic eating virus times’ in our lives plan ya know.

we have category options to chat this but geez, our food life changing eating plans don’t need to see this for many…keep the site life blood in mind in full truth at all times about nutriton is key, eat to change your health and life

ok just chatting and rambling a bit :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I despise the covid chat crap personlly on this site…but just me LOL I deal

(Bob M) #6

One idea, I think, is that low carb/keto could provide a benefit in response to covid or other diseases. There is some theoretical basis for this.

However, I don’t think we know enough about covid (or any disease, really) to know what will or will not affect us. For instance, the entire Mayan civilization was wiped out (as were other civilizations near them) due to disease. They think smallpox, but measles and other diseases had a role too. They were most likely metabolically good, but this did not save them.

Anyway, I just don’t want to see the covid posts, and I’ll see if there’s anything I can do to prevent my seeing them.

(Scott) #7

It all gets wonky when someone posts something like “does keto help you get over covid better” Covid will be around for awhile I am afraid.

agreed on what ya’ll said but does covid trump flu season, holiday horror times off plan, and every single other obstacle in a person’s life as they must change to eat healthier and hold a plan?

I get it but in general is it is not and never will ‘be changing’ for my life nutrition’ for general health as ‘as KNOWN entity’ in full force to make those changes we desire.

what effets us on an eating plan
what we eat point blank
how well thru life allergies and sensitivites we funcion as individuals and our food intake and where does covid now or any other pandemic issue come to ‘big change’ in our lives>|?

just saying as an overall life killer sure…just saying as it 'should ’ it effect how we go about getting healthier in our keto/zc/lc plans should it be a monster influence as our over all ‘need change for heatlh’ now and factor that in…nope.

we know what is happeing IN real life issues thru economics, polictical, finances and pandemics but do we have to relate any of of this other as an ‘be all end all’ discussion into what it takes to change our health on a personal basis. Nope to me.
go chat ALL about covid on another forum which where are gazillions and leave Ketogenic forum to its purpose is how I see it

but again personal views on it but if one must chat it out do it in a 'personal journal ’ as it relates to them and leave the ‘useless non dieting truth’ of what is happening in the world, while horrifying is not ‘all in change your menu’ related ya know.

did any covid info or chat on this forum change anything about my eating to my plan ever? Nope but what I read gave me more friggin’ anxiety of useless info about me changing my lifestyle thru the hard years of change I went thru…again just chat on it all in a personal view from me on it all :wink:

(Rebecca ) #10

If I see the word in the Subject Title I just don’t open or read it…your title intrigued me though, so I opened it!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

Im so tired of reading about Covid I almost don’t come to this forum anymore.

(Scott) #12

Not covid related but I just got to thinking. My wife and I have been keto since June 2018 and since that time haven’t been sick once. I think it is the longest I have gone without catching a cold.

(Polly) #13

That is a very happy thought @Rclause Scott. I am sure being metabolically healthy is the best protection we can have against pathogens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Interestingly, I’m not finding new posts in the Covid forum showing up very frequently on my list of new and updated threads. Am I missing something? Has there been a spate of activity that the system is not telling me about?

(Joey) #15

@Fangs I spend very little time (it rounds to none) on the COVID topic on this site anymore. It’s mostly dribble. But I do understand and respect how strongly our health and eating habits are intertwined … and the corona virus is a “top of mind” health topic, so I don’t begrudge the forum category’s existence.

I do still hold out hope that a science-based link between healthy eating (viz. keto) and lessened inflammatory viral toll will be identified, peer reviewed, and published at some point.

@PaulL Same here. I’m not seeing COVID topic notifications either. I think the key as noted is to simply avoid “following” COVID’ish topics, and you won’t hear about them otherwise. Harmless enough.

(Scott) #16

No doctor here but isn’t the corona virus a factor in a common cold? There are many mutations of these thus the numbers for each. I guess I am wondering out loud if my WOE possibly have an effect on resistance to the common cold. Exporting this resistance to Covid 19 would be an obvious stretch but if it helps prevent major damage due immune response I’ll take it. Now for the bad news, what if an increased immune response is what causes the most damage? Who knows, I just do what I do and hope for the best. I have been working at the office daily and frankly shocked it (Covid) hasn’t paid a visit. My employees are still going out, on vacation etc. and I usually eat out once or twice a week. Granted I am pretty careful of how the restaurants seat people but that said we have been without any restrictions since summer started.

(Vic) #17

Just delete the whole cov19 forum.

Its nothing but a whole lot of arguments from ignorance.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

We plan to, when the time comes.

(Ethan) #19

No doctor here but isn’t the corona virus a factor in a common cold? There are many mutations of these thus the numbers for each. I guess I am wondering out loud if my WOE possibly have an effect on resistance to the common cold. Exporting this resistance to Covid 19 would be an obvious stretch but if it helps prevent major damage due immune response I’ll take it. Now for the bad news, what if an increased immune response is what causes the most damage? Who knows, I just do what I do and hope for the best. I have been working at the office daily and frankly shocked it (Covid) hasn’t paid a visit. My employees are still going out, on vacation etc. and I usually eat out once or twice a week. Granted I am pretty careful of how the restaurants seat people but that said we have been without any restrictions since summer started.

This needs some clarification. There are many coronaviruses. The common cold is a general term for mild upper respiratory illness. The “common cold” is caused generally by rhinoviruses, but also by 4 of the 7 coronaviruses known to infect humans. The other 3 coronaviruses are known to cause severe illness. “The” coronavirus in this case probably refers one of the 3 severe-illness-causing versions, SARS-COV-2. It is not known if exposure to one coronavirus protects you from others or for how long. There is evidence that those who recovered from SARS are resistant to COVID19.

(Scott) #20

Great explanation, thank you!