Triglycerides over 750!

(Brian Sweeney) #1

Hey, I’ve been doing the keto diet for about 5-6 weeks now. I just got my cholesterol checked and my LDL went down, my HDL went up a little bit to 40mg/dL… and my triglycerides shot up from 250 (which is high and I am taking fenofibrate) to 750!

I should also mention that I did drink 4-5 glasses of Prosecco the night before the test, but more than 12 hrs prior. My triglycerides are normally high. I was happy to see them at 250 right before I started keto. I have lost 25pounds in a short span of time.

I know there’s a lot of die hard Keto people here but should I call it quits after seeing this spike?

(Liz Ellen) #2

Well, I can only tell you that my triglycerides have dropped steadily since I’ve been on keto for the 10 months, They are under 100 now. I started about twice that. I can also tell you that I absolutely think that Prosecco could skew your results. I try not to drink any alcohol for at least three days before getting labs based on things I’ve read online. Finally, I heart Prosecco.

I think you’ll be very happy with your triglycerides if you stick with this. My understanding is that they reflect sugar in our diet, so if you keep limiting carbs, it stands to reason that they will fall.

Good luck!

Was it sweet Prosecco, Brian? Many are. It contains a lot of unfermented sugar.

Your blood test appears to be an excellent experiment to demonstrate what happens with triglycerides for some people after 5 glasses of wine. It would be good to repeat the test with everything the same minus the Prosecco.

(Brian Sweeney) #4

It was a dry Prosecco, which was supposed to be 0 carb. I have a history of high triglycerides and could stand to consume less alcohol. I’ll cut it out for a month and retest. I’m really hoping to be able to stay keto for the long haul because I feel so good!

Thanks for your help

Chase the good feeling part. It will be interesting to see what your experiment shows.

(Edith) #6

It’s good that you can already see changes in your cholesterol, but it’s usually suggested that people wait about six months for their bodies to become completely fat adapted before getting their blood testing done.

(Bob M) #7

The alcohol is likely a big factor.

By the way, saturated fat is protective of the liver, and polyunsaturated fats (in seed oils, chicken skin, etc.) are not. So, if you can combine cream or coconut oil with drinking, that might help.