Tried NOT counting calories and scale went UP

In the last week I have weighed 251, 248, 245, 248, 246 in that order. This is all empty stomach morning weights. I usually only weigh every week or so, but I’ve been off work a couple days and decided to step on the scale. Don’t obsess over the scale. As long as the clothes fit better it’s getting better.

(Terri) #22

What about blueberries or ANY berries??

(Bob M) #23

Those are probably OK. If you can, I would try to eat these seasonally. As in, it doesn’t make sense to eat berries in the middle of winter.

I tend to eat the ones we pick in August (the season for them in CT, though it depends on the berry).

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

This is part of the free stuff on dietdoctor.com, easy guides to carb counts on most common foods.

This is a good program to follow at first https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf

And remember, some lose quickly but others do not. It isn’t a weight loss diet, that is just a side effect of this healthy way of eating.

(Bunny) #25

Personally I have never used calorie counting, macro counting app of any kind ever, and never will because I’m more concerned about nutrient density vs. calorie density. I have better time eye balling food than weighing it, like using the palm of my hand (ounces/grams) and fist to represent the stomach space.

Pick a more calorie dense food group from Whole Foods when more active too meet energy demands or you go into long term starvation mode screwing up your ability to burn body fat or pick a more nutrient dense food when more sedentary.

image link

It takes more energy (movement or heat) to burn 9 units of fat energy then it takes to burn a 4 unit energy of carb or protein.

So much less complicated than counting with an app or counting at all, I eat out of instinct like the ancestors would have, not direction of other human beings.

I’m really liking this nutritional paradigm by Dr. Peter Attia:

image link

(mole person) #26

A lot of people have strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries on keto as long as the carbs fit. I do essentially what @ctviggen does. I eat them seasonally and only what I pick myself. Fruit fall under “rare treats” for me in pretty much the same way chocolate does. It’s not good for me, but I like them and will allow a bit occasionally.

(Edith) #27

As a woman, your hormonal changes over the month will also cause changes in your weight by a few pounds.

My goal weight is five pounds below my real goal weight so that when I bloat, I weigh my real goal weight.

If you can’t or don’t want to give them up, fine but use them in moderation. Some people eat yogurt with lots of berries as a meal, they barely have calories but many of them is sugar, it still may work for someone but usually not the best idea. A few berries now and then, that’s fine for most people but it’s a little luxury, not proper food. I eat any fruit I fancy but I know what my body tolerates and I am great with ridiculous amounts. If I don’t mind what kind of fruit, I always choose a few raspberries, they are a joy but very little sugar.

(Ken) #29

One of the most important things to learn is not to compulsivly weigh yourself. It’s impossible to track fat loss daily. From now on, only eat when actually hungry, and weigh yourself at most every two weeks.

Equally important is to take a full set of pictures and measurements. You don’t have to show anyone the pictures any time soon, but I assure you, you will want to show people six months from now. Besides, it’s a much better way to track progress.

The only real “Before” picture I have is my Avatar one. I wish I had taken a full set while wearing a Speedo for maximum shock value.

(Windmill Tilter) #30

It could just be an accuracy issue with your scale. Many people don’t realize that all bathroom scales, even the digital ones, rely on extremely sensitive springs and pressure plates. Changes in barometric pressure due to weather, such as a when a cold front is coming in can change materially affect the accuracy.

The solution is to equalize the pressure. All you really need to do is open the bathroom window, place the scale on the window ledge, and push it firmly out of the window. It will take 4-8 weeks for the springs to recalibrate to outside air pressure. When you bring bring it back inside the house to check your weight again in March, you will be pleasantly surprised to see that it’s working properly, and that you’ve lost 4-5lbs… :yum:

All joking aside, weighing yourself every day will drive you nuts. 90% of the changes you will see in a 24hr period are fluctuations in body water. It’s pointless and will drive you crazy. There is value in weighing, but I’d suggest doing it once a month, or at most once a week. Consider buying a sewing tape measure too. I like to measure myself around the belly and booty once a month. The scale can’t tell the difference between water, fat, and muscle. The tape can. If I’m losing inches but my weight is staying the same, it means I’m building muscle tone, and I’m still a happy guy!

Keto in 40 Characters: Eat to satiety, carbs under 20g. Repeat.

(Bob M) #32

A graph of nutrient density…with no meat? No liver? No fish?

I pretty much eat nothing on that graph. Sometimes, tomatoes. Carrots for seasoning at times. Sometimes, broccoli. Sometimes, berries. Otherwise, nothing.

(Bunny) #33

There is bacon and butter on the info graphic?

I must admit it is not a very good infographic for my example…lol

Yeah, I thought the same. I mostly eat eggs, meat, cheese and lard… Lots of perfectly fine and popular food aren’t in the pic.
Tomato is the only item I actually eat sometimes, in tiny amounts. Most items aren’t even food to me and wouldn’t touch them in my most rebellious and carby day of the year.

If you say “nutrient dense”, I don’t think about vegetables, fruits and beans but definitely not only them… That image is from another world, not mine. Maybe nutrient per calories is smaller in my food but as I need lots of energy as well, even when I lose fat, it’s perfectly fine.

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

They are on the calorie dense side, not the nutrition dense side.

I really, really, really recommend just throwing out your scale and just keep doing what you started out doing.

(Terri) #37

:ok_hand::slight_smile: thank you

(Paulene ) #38

@Terrim just to give you some idea of patterns in losing and gaining, here is my chart.

My weight loss is certainly not linear.

I say don’t fret about daily or weekly variation, look for other signs and take a longer term view.

(Bunny) #39

If your chart is not inspiration I don’t know what is?

That is awesome! :+1:

(Paulene ) #40

Thank-you, Bunny. :blush:

(Terri) #41

Thank you so much for sending this