Training is making me fat

(Bob M) #22

You’re exercising 6 days a week and only eating 2000 calories a day?

I can empathise with the OP. I put fat on when I step up the distance of my bike rides. It sort of makes sense - if I do it all at MAF (ie fatburing) HR then surely the body will compensate by ensuring there’s plenty of fuel available? I also seem to lose the fat when I ramp the milage back down.

(Warren) #24

Yes I’m training 6 days
3 days full body resistance training with light weights and never to failure - sciatica pain makes sure of this.
3 days Cardio at 50% (equivalent to about 7000 steps, which is 3000 steps under the daily recommendation)
A calorie calculator assigned me 2000 calories because I have a sedentary job and 2000 calories of keto food is more than enough.
I see where you’re coming from but because somebody says they’re training 6 days a week doesn’t mean they’re training their guts out.

(Karen) #25

Thank you … my brain is a bit broken lol

(Karen) #26

I also write things down old school. I still have old written workouts I did from years back… just in case lol. I am very technophobic and a real dinosaur with apps and working my way round websites :roll_eyes:

Hope you find the answers.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

If you suspect systemic inflammation and are eating a ketogenic diet (which of itself lowers systemic inflammation), then the thing to try is to cut out all seed oils, and even the fruit oils. Use only bacon grease, butter, tallow, and lard as your cooking fats, since they are mostly saturated and monounsaturated fats. Also avoid all commercial, processed products that contain seed oils (as virtually all of them do).

That will drastically reduce your intake of ω-6 fatty acids, which are inflammatory in quantity. Not only that, but polyunsaturated fats are much more vulnerable to being damaged by heating than monounsaturated and saturated fats, which is supposed to be another source of systemic inflammation. Ω-3 and ω-6 fatty acids are essential to life, but we need only small amounts of them. As Dr. Phinney points out, the challenge on the standard diet is not to get enough ω-6, but to avoid getting too much.

And everyone has their individual metabolism… I somewhat knew a hobby bodybuilder (but long term and he reached his natural maximum muscle mass) who ate 2000 kcal when cutting. I wonder if he wanted to do it quick or his metabolism was naturally slow or my SO has it quick as they were both males, not very young, not old, same height, probably similar activity but the guy had 20kg extra muscles while my SO had a tiny bit of extra fat… And he lost fat smoothly eating 2500. Neither exercise (unless it’s really much like a marathon a day or heavy physical work) or a serious muscle mass can’t mean someone needs a ton of calories, it seems.

I lift and walk and try to run but that’s almost nothing, sometimes cycle, that’s cardio too sometimes and this all only requires a little more energy than just sitting all day. Significant for me but not that much. While our basic energy need is all over the place even for the same stats.

Oldschool is nice. I use a webpage to track as it would be way too much work without BUT taking paper notes is basic for me. I am very much into some part of technology (my web addiction started 26 years ago when I studied IT… we didn’t even have proper webpages back then :smiley: I read online jokes in newsletters) but traditional things and really tangible things are nice. I even calculate on paper though I am super slow… It’s similar with art and books, I have no problem with digital/online stuff but I would horribly miss the traditional options…

Erm sorry I try not to write if I am not helpful. And I rally don’t know what could help you. But good luck!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

In general, people tend to find it helpful not to count calories on a ketogenic diet. Dr. Phinney’s standard advice is to eat to satiety. Eating to a caloric target tends to risk putting the body in famine mode, which means that the metabolism will drop to compensate. Give the body more food, and the metabolism increases.

Dr. Phinney has data to show that a low-carbohydrate, moderate-protein diet with fat added to satisfy hunger actually raises the overall metabolic rate and increases fatty-acid metabolism. Though people end up eating more fat than they would on a standard diet, they metabolise even more fat than they eat, if they have it to spare. This is the reason that the metabolic normalisation from eating a low-carb, high-fat diet to satiety often results in the shedding of excess stored fat as a side-effect.

(Bob M) #30

Here’s a BMR calculator. I used a 5’8" male at 190 pounds (overweight by BMI, not “obese”) and 49 years of age. I used the Harris-Benedict equation.

The BMR is 1785 calories. That’s what it takes with zero exercise.

I entered the same data here, and “sedentary”:

The rate was 2042. Light activity was 2339. Moderate activity was 2637.

In my humble opinion, 2000 calories is putting the OP into starvation mode.

We can’t know that but having a modest deficit shouldn’t do that anyway. (But one doesn’t know their own energy need and it can’t be calculated, that’s just a vague guess. May be informative and probably right for the average person but may be very off in some cases.)

I am all for eating as much as the body wants :slight_smile: BUT if it’s too much and I know it, I should change something. Calorie counting gives me information only. Stopping when hungry is probably not the right way (and impossible for people like me, my core personality is against it) though it works for some people. Figuring out how to eat to lose fat while being satiated nicely all day, that’s one of my goals. It’s easier for some than others, of course. But keto alone isn’t enough for many of us.

(Joey) #32

Gonna’ go out on a limb here by suggesting you spend more time taking those extra 3000 steps… and less time fretting that training is making you fat while on your computer. :wink:

(Warren) #33

Hi Paul, I think you might be onto something there as my diet is quite high in fruit oils (nuts and olive oil). These fruit oils, whilst traveling to the NT, must sit on trucks in extreme heat for an extended amount of time.

A friend of mine did a private study carried out on 2 x shop-bought bottled waters, one from Melbourne and the other from Darwin, where they found the Darwin sample had a significant difference in petrochemicals. The amount from this one sample would not be considered dangerous but they did conclude that if this your only source of water for a considerable amount of time, then you would have to expect it would have to cause some health issues. As it was a private study with only 2 bottles involved it could never be considered of any importance. But it does get you thinking what other food sources are affected due to transportation under these extreme conditions, not to mention that the nuts I eat are often packed in plastic.

Have thought about going carnivore, not as a permanent lifestyle but rather a healing procedure. After listening to Mikhaila Peterson and through discussions on here I am starting to realise that my issues could be an underlying oxidative stress problem. I also have a never-ending variety of fresh meat products up here.

Cheers

Warren

(Warren) #34

LOL there is no computer in front of me Joey
I’m building up to the 10,000 steps on the bike and should be there by the end of next month.
I actually don’t care that I’m a little overweight and like nearly everyone here, I like keto for all the other reasons. But my doctor is insisting that I lose this weight to try and compensate for my health issues.

(Joey) #35

Way to go! Keep up the great work and keep us posted on developments. :+1:

(Warren) #36

Thanks for the calculator. We’re pretty much the same in weight and height.
I’ve been using the Keto Savage Macro Calculator.

I find that the 2000 calories for me is more than enough and anything more can make me feel quite uncomfortable.
The doctor, who is also my family doctor, I chat with also is aware of my genetics and health issues my other family members have. He sees an obviuos negative pattern in my future health if I continue to eat a western diet. Through observation of my own and families health journey, I’m beginnng to see that indigenous people are certainly not designed for the western diet that is thrusted upon us.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

A good option, do you like roo tail? :smile: :grin: :grinning: :rofl:

(Edith) #38

Ha! It’s not good for us non-indigenous people either. :laughing:

(Warren) #39

Love it and it makes the best bone broth too :yum:

(Philip H Kern) #40

I’m glad you posted this, Warren. When I walk or ride my bike I lose weight on keto. When I ramp up the exercise, I gain weight. According to my scale, waist size, and eyes, the weight is abdominal fat rather than muscle–and I don’t increase my caloric intake very much. This probably shouldn’t surprise many people here because the mantra we recite is that CICO doesn’t drive weight gain in any direct way.

I’m a bit older than you and have to wonder how much age is a factor. Looking forward to watching this discussion play out.

My personal experience is that when I exercise with high intensity, my blood glucose increases. This could be creating an insulin response.

But I don’t put on any weight. On the contrary. The more I exercise, and the more intense it is, the more I need to eat to avoid losing weight.

If you are like me, exercising more is part of the solution, as strange as it sounds.

It could also be that your weight goes up, or stalls, due to something else, not the exercise. Many members of this forum don’t lose weight anymore. They lost some, then stopped losing. Keto isn’t a diet to lose weight. You may, or not, lose weight, but it’s a side effect, not the main result.