Trainer says to eat more carbs to lean out?

From what I remember, we were talking about the Kreb’s Cycle, RER, RQ, along with the different metabolic pathways.

It revolves around the intensity percentages and duration, she was saying that yea you may burn more fat by percentage at lower exercise intensities, but you’ll burn more calories at higher intensities. And in doing that, where the body drew energy from was predominantly carbs at high intensity.

I think the saying referred to that burning more calories per exercise session was the overall goal to slim down faster/more efficiently rather than burning small amounts of fat during exercise.

Have you exercised at high intensities before keto and since you’ve been fat adapted? I’m curious to know if there was a change in how long you were able to sustain a high intensity under both conditions. I’ve not exercised like that, just Couch 2 5K sessions. We know that endurance athletes don’t hit a wall and bonk like sugar burners during marathons, but that’s sub-maximal.

(charlie3) #22

I don’t believe more or less carbs is important for non elite athletic performance and may be not even for the elites, assuming they are fully fat adapted, rare. My experience of fat adaption was noticeable in the first few months but adaption has continued to this day (18 months). I do a mix of walking, SS cardio and lifting. I save the high intensity energy for the lifting. My investigation does not persuade me of any superiority to HIIT training for cardio fitness OVER THE LONG RUN.

I’m with you on the cardio. I’d imagine that most of us are on this WOE for health and longevity over athletic performance. There’s not much incentive to beat yourself up with HIIT or other plyometrics only to wear your knees out.

(charlie3) #24

I’m been off work foor 7 months, may be I’m retired, we’ll see if I’m willing to go back if they call. I’ve taken the time to study/practice health and fitness. At 70 health has to be the first priority but I can still have fun. I like the food and training. I have two goals, to be as fit as possible with zero health compromises (and look the part), AND add 25 pounds of muscle and keep an 11ish % body fat. What I’ve come to believe, to accomplish those ends so far is, we’re designed to expend about 30% of daily calories with activity. I can do that with 2 hours daily walking plus two hours weekly lifting. That gets it done but not ideal. Once I’m back home, on alternate days I’ll do two hours walking, the next day 60 minutes on my vintage airdyne as well as the 2 hours a week of lifting. That gives me a mix of low, medium, and high intensity work. I can go higher than 30% of calories but find that’s a burn out over months. I’m hoping for a routine that sustainable year round and for years to come.

I played college football and got a concussion and a few injuries in a row so I hung up my cleats.

After I healed up I went heavy on strength training, 245lbs with about 12% body fat and my stats were pretty high, bench was over 400, squat was 650, and deadlift was 750.

That ended up with me blowing out a shoulder and a knee. I kept eating like I was still lifting, that was a lot.

Now I’m in it for longevity and not tearing my body up more. Marathon, not a sprint.

Just keep doing what you’re doing. No need to add CHO to lean out.

Partitioning your exercises efficiently will help you get there faster and have the best end result in terms of body composition.

Cardio should be just that, cardio. Do it for it’s health benefits first and foremost. The calories burned are just a bonus.

You can burn more calories in less time strength training. Progressive overload.

When strength training assuming you don’t have all the time in the world consider doing movements that require more of your body rather then less. Compound movements vs isolation.

Dumbbells are your friend. With a barbell you are far more likely to injure yourself.