Tracking program for calories and in particular fat content

(Bob M) #1

Hi All,

I’m thinking of some n=1s of high protein, low fat (basically Ted Naiman’s high P:E) for a few weeks, followed by the same lean meats but with added saturated fats (cheese, dairy, cacao butter, maybe ghee, maybe suet if I can stomach it; emphasis on long-chain saturated fat, so less emphasis on coconut), for another few weeks. Not calorie restricted. Want to see what happens with lipids. Will see how much testing I can afford, to see what else I can test.

But I’d like to (Gasp! Ugh! I hate it already!) count calories. I’ll need something into which I can add in my own data, as I want to estimate all fats (MUFAs, particularly PUFAs, and saturated fats). Maybe even break it down to stearic acid and palmitic acid.

Ideally, using multiple computers spread over multiple locations, with possibly a phone app (Android) interface. I prefer computers but can handle a phone app.

I’ll pay if necessary, though I plan on using it for these tests and no more.

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I assume you’ve already considered and rejected Cronometer and MyFitnessPal? What about the calculator at Ruled.Me?

Tracking or analyzing? I use Google sheets when searching for trends in my own data. Fairly easy to use. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

(Bob M) #4

Thanks. No, I have not actually ruled out anything.

Waaaaaay back when I ate a Pritikin diet, I used a computer program to track everything, like I assume Cronometer and MyFitnessPal are. I know those are web-based though.

I’ll check them out.

That’d be crononmeter then, you can customize anything you want and add your own foods including the breakdowns. This is the breakdown you get from lipids

MFP doesn’t give you the breakdowns that crono does even with the paid version.

(Bob M) #6

Thanks. I have to work this weekend, and I promised my wife I’d help cook and take care of the kids, since she’s getting sick of my being in the basement on a project the whole weekend and her having to shoulder all the responsibility for cooking and kids. But I’ll give Chronometer a try as soon as I can.

I guess, given that I’m currently eating a high saturated fat diet, I’m going to have to ignore the advice of the program? :grinning:

You can change the levels/RDAs to anything you want, but there is a default for keto. Typically still takes some tweaking though. All very easy. You can also hover over those percentages to see what the breakdown of each one is and where you got it from. If you like it and wind up bumping it to the premium version you can also create custom charts to show the correlations between any of the metrics it can track. It’s pretty cool.

(Bob M) #8

Thanks. I realized I had signed up for it a while ago, though I oddly entered no data. I’ll start tracking as a test, when I can control my meals a bit better. I doubt my wife is going to be happy to weigh everything she puts into a meal so that I can count my own calories. :wink: