Tough mudder on keto

(Lee) #1

Hi, I’ve been keto for 3 weeks and doing really well.i usually train for 45 mins to 60 mins. At that point I become a little tired. I’m doing a tough mudder tomorrow and I don’t want to run out of energy!
Can anyone suggest a good energy breakfast and snacks along the way ?

(Linda Culbreth) #2

Lee - 3 weeks in may or may not make you fat adapted, particularly since you are hitting the wall after 45-60 minutes. I hate to say this, but you might consider your usual carbs for this very hard competition and then back on keto the next day. Would love to know how you do later on when you are definitely fat adapted. You can be doing keto for a while before you really are fat adapted.

Lee, this is just my 2 cents worth and it may not even be worth that much.

Anybody else want to chime in?

I know bugger all about exercise but my logic would suggest that something like peanut butter woful be a good snack along the way. I would have a fry up probably but a good amount of time before competing to allow time to digest (a good 2-3 hours). But this is armchair logic! Good luck and let us know how you get on. x

(John) #4

If you are bonking you aren’t adapted, I would use some carbs, preferably something like dextrose (Karo syrup with no HFCS is easy to get) or maltitol so you can at least minimize the impact. 20-40g is what I would try. Good luck.

(Lee) #5

Thanks for the speedy replies, I had a good fry up as suggested. I did the race and was ok up to a point. I did have some Lucozade sport at the hydration stations, this gave me a little boost but not much. In short I was ok and didn’t really get that tired.I did tow at end , but I would have even on carbs as it was muddy and really heavy going under foot.

(Linda Culbreth) #6

Thanks for the update - the tough mudder is really tough -

(Katie) #7

I realize that it is too late, but Artisana makes little packets of nut and seed butters
http://www.artisanaorganics.com/squeeze-packs/

(Lee) #8

thanks Kate , I’ll try that next time .