Too much reading and now I’m confused?!

(1d7d537c3af491ba7801) #1

Okay, so I know and understand that I need to eat to satiety and not focus on the macros so much, and I really am trying, but my personality dictates that I need to understand.

So I have a few questions:

1: Plentiful fat or fat macro as a maximum?
I’ve read that some say the fat macro should be a maximum upper limit and protein a minimum limit; but then others state that we should be eating a lot of fat - as much as we can, hence the fat bombs. So, my question is, do we only eat maximum fat to enter a state of ketosis but then once fat adapted we just eat to satiety?

2: Why are my ketones higher in the morning?
I have been using urine ketone strips :see_no_evil: I know, I know they’re not accurate but I really like seeing that I’m actually in ketosis, however I’ve noticed that my highest ketones are on waking 8.0 or after a long period of not eating, like yesterday I had breakfast but then nothing until after 5pm as I was running around organising a surprise party.

I know that the darker the colour can also indicate dehydration and I am nursing my 14 week old but it’s because of this that I am especially conscious of my water intake and take an electrolyte everyday, so I don’t think I’m dehydrated; plus my milk supply is plentiful thank God!

I had set my carb intake to 50g net a day but I reduced this yesterday to 40g as I feel fine, my milk is fine also and most days I was consuming less than 40g anyway. Yesterday i only managed 20g carbs and still felt great.

1. How long until I’m fat adapted?
    It’s only been 10 days since I started Keto, I entered ketosis pretty quickly, within 24hrs. The first few days were hard but very quickly my cravings have all gone.

I’ve long since been a complete chocoholic, sweets, biscuits, crisps and bread and honestly I can’t believe just yesterday at a party where everyone was eating bread with their steak and drinking fizzy drinks I honestly wasn’t interested. I’m also finding that I don’t really feel hungry, I’m just eating to meet my macros.
So, am I on my way to being fat adapted?

I did lose 6lbs in the first 3 days (probably some water) but in total over the last 10 days I’ve lost 7.5lbs and 2 inches off my waist :dancer:t2: :dancer:t2:

Is there a pattern to ketones in a day that would indicate being fat adapted?

I’m sorry for the long waffling essay, but that’s me!

Can anyone recommend a good comprehensive book on Keto or website?

Thanks for reading. Xx

(1d7d537c3af491ba7801) #2

…could it be that because I’m nursing the baby during the night; my body is active making more milk, so when I wake I have higher ketones?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Just eat sub-20 grams of carbs per day and you will be fine. Do not obsess over fats and protein when you are just starting. You can adjust as you go along. You can lower fat after you discover if you need to lose weight. Many don’t and some do. It’s an individual thing.

Yep, way too much reading, and way too much overthinking. As Amy Berger sums it up:

(I’d also recommend her YouTube channel, where she discusses the basics of ‘doing keto without the crazy’.)

(Bob M) #5

When I test blood ketones, mine are always lower in the morning and higher at night, and my blood sugar is high in the morning and lower at night. I don’t know how breast feeding would affect that, though.

I’d suggest the FAQ for this group and the FAQ on the Reddit group. Both have a lot of good information, and a bit different perspective.

But stop chasing ketones. If you’re sticking to 20 net carbs or less, it’s not something to worry about.

(Susan) #7

Nursing moms need to eat a lot of calories; so just keep your carbs to 20 grams or less, NO sugar, eat enough proteins and healthy fats and don’t be consumed with calories, keep your water and electrolytes up. You need to eat enough to keep yourself healthy, and to produce enough, good milk for your baby =).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

It sounds as though you are doing fine. Just keep eating to satisfy your hunger. Don’t stint on protein, because you need it for milk production. Fat will give you energy, so don’t stint on that, either. Keto- or fat-adaptation generally takes 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer, occasionally shorter. You will likely notice an increase in your energy level as your muscles adapt to fat-burning.