Too much protein? Virtually 0 carbs, consistent ketones, but kinda low

(Steve Grand Rapids) #1

I’ve been consistently generating ketones, I’m happy with that. but usually in the range of .3 to .6.

I wonder if too much protein is feeding the gluconeogenesis engine and i’ve still burn some sugar.

Also, sugar levels are almost a little above 100. about 105.

Yes and you want that to happen as it’s needed for life… There is no problem with that. Even with 0 protein, your body makes sugar and uses it.

What is wrong with your range? I never measured ketones but the others keep saying we don’t need to chase some high number unless we do therapeutic keto as we have problems that gets better with high ketones. Or something like that, they will come and talk about it properly I guess :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

This is a misconception. Gluconeogenesis and ketogenesis occur together in the liver. They are both inhibited when carb intake is high, they are both stimulated once carb intake drops low enough. Yes, the liver uses amino acids to produce what little glucose the body actually needs, plus a glycogen store to pump out to the skeletal muscles at need, but that process is more tightly regulated than the myth that excess protein automatically gets turned into glucose implies. The body is more sophisticated than that.

Someone who is eating enough fat probably has very little need for gluconeogenesis, other than what the brain and the red blood corpuscles require. However, the body’s stress response and other physiological processes cause serum glucose to rise, because it’s what fuels a rapid, explosive muscular response. Ketones are better at fueling endurance. The difference is between fighting off a sabre-toothed tiger that has invaded the cave and chasing down a woolly mammoth or an elk. The inflammatory response to injury or infectious disease can also raise serum glucose, I believe.

Nope, gluconeogenisis is demand driven, not supply.

(Steve Grand Rapids) #5

OK. So perhaps the intense exercise I’m doing is provoking the process.

and, btw, wow. just checked again. 117 glucose and .5 ketones. I haven’t had more than 20 carbs in a day for more than a week. I think almost 0 for the last 24 hours. Chicken thighs and eggs with flaxseed oil on top and a spoonful of cod liver oil and that’s it. just seems crazy to me. Meh, not going to worry about the relatively high glucose.

(Michael) #6

Do you know how many g of protein per kg lean body mass you are eating?

When I was still checking ketones, minus when I was fasting I was almost always at .3, lost almost 100lbs in a year that way. The Ketone levels don’t matter, only that they’re there. Ketone levels only matter when people are doing Keto for medical reasons that actually need them high, for everybody else, just ignore them. Blood sugar can take a while to come down, as long as you’re not eating stuff to provoke it being high, I wouldn’t worry about it.

For a short time I believed in the higher protein being an issue as well, and had it way too low. All that did for me was I lost a ton of muscle over a couple years. Not fun getting it back. Now I more or less stick with the go-to of 1g/lb so I average around 200g/day. Blood sugars the best it’s been in a long time.

(Steve Grand Rapids) #8

sorry. no. I don’t measure grams of protein.

(Steve Grand Rapids) #9

I thought the same thing, not worried about the level. Just want measurable levels.

(Steve Grand Rapids) #10

Good comments. I’ve kinda thought I should start adding a little more flax seed oil to my meals. Plus the cod liver oil loaded with omega-3s.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

I’m not seeing a problem here. You exercised heavily and are surprised your glucose went up modestly?

(Allie) #12

You’re in ketosis, what’s the issue?
Stop chasing pointless numbers.

(Brian) #13

If you’re measuring ketones in urine, aren’t you actually measuring “overflow”? If there is something there, wouldn’t that suggest that you’ve got all you can use and then a little? I’m not sure what the point is of having a large excess of ketones that you’re spilling unused. (?)

Maybe I have that wrong. There are more knowledgeable people than me reading, I’m sure.

You are right, pee sticks work best for beginners. The body learns how not to be effective and many veteran don’t get strong colors after a while. Some do, even after years.

Blood keto tests are more reliable and it tests what matters most, beta-hydroxybutyrate…

I know about this much (I think I wrote these right), never used any tests myself. I just picked up things and it makes sense that the body learns not to make lots of unneeded ketone bodies.