Too much protein, too little fat!

(Paul) #1

Trying to stick to roughly 4% carbs, 72% fat and 24% protein.

However I am finding it far easier to eat protein than fat. Before I know it I am way over my protein for the day and way down on fat.

I think this is because not only are lots of high fat foods also high in protein ie. red meat, nuts, etc, but also that things like chicken are high protein, low fat.

Anyone else have similar issues?

(Karen) #2

I did at first because I was eating meat that was too lean. Try Fattier meats.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Avocados? HWC? Fat bombs? Try taking a tablespoon of EVOO, not terrible. Extra butter on veggies, eggs or meat? Pork rinds? Drink melted butter! Eat a spoonful of coconut oil.

Forget about percentages and ratios. Focus on keeping the carbs low (to stay in ketosis) and on getting enough protein (your body needs it). After that, fat and calories should be based on your hunger level. Early on, your hunger may cause you to eat more calories. Once you’ve been in ketosis a while, the hunger should decrease, as your body starts using stored fat and doesn’t need as much consumed fat.

My goal – “Eat when hungry. Stop when full. Mostly meat.”

Too much protein is rarely a problem. Only too many carbs kick you out of ketosis. The body can create glucose from protein (i.e. GNG or Gluconeogenesis), but it’s a demand-driven process, not a supply-driven process.

Thank you, OgreZed. This isn’t said enough. Too many keto listacles and videos harp on the dangers of too much protein, but it’s garbage.

An extra piece of salmon because you’re hungry will never throw you out of ketosis if your carbs are low.

(Carl Keller) #6

Chicken thighs and legs have a decent proportion of fat to protein. Pork also tends to have a lot of fat vs protein.

Probably true if you are eating to satisfy a macro but maybe not if you are eating to satisfy your hunger. Certainly more fat will help to adapt in the early stages of keto but protein affords satiety which can actually help you eat less overall. I wouldn’t worry to much about overeating protein as long as you are not gorging yourself.

I eat about 1.5 grams of protein per kg of total body weight but I never aimed for it. When I look back at my data on cronometer.com I was able to figure out that eating to satiety is where this number ended up for me. Maybe it’s less or more for you.

(Paul) #7

Many thanks all.

In keto I had understood the need to restrict carbs, but not that the fat/protein ratios weren’t as critical as I thought they were.

As long as you don’t eat too much lean meat, the fat/protein ratio is pretty self regulatory. And because fat has 9 calories per gram to protein’s 4, fat still makes up the majority of your calories.

(Bob M) #9

These are also high in PUFAs, especially dark meat chicken with the skin. I’ve tried to eat less of these because of this.

(Scott) #10

I have been eyeballing some of the higher fat hamburger meat but it usually comes in a huge package. I guess they think you are trying to feed a large family on a budget because its cheaper too. I used to go for the leaner cuts but now I look at a steak for the marbling in it.

(Carl Keller) #11

I definitely steer clear of of manmade PUFA, especially vegetable oils. But naturally occuring PUFAs do have some benefit to the human body. One might argue about the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio but including seafood, beef, spinach and crucifers and simply eating a diverse diet in general, can remedy that.

(Brian) #12

Reading through the thoughts about eggs from pasture raised chickens on another thread, I wonder how the PUFA’s from a pasture raised chicken thigh would compare to the PUFA’s from a commercially raised chicken thigh? I’ll bet it would make a difference. But that’s probably a whole 'nother topic. :slight_smile:

(Brian) #13

As far as trying to micromanage the macros for fat and protein, I quit that a long time ago. I just eat real food. I eat some chicken but it’s likely to be thighs rather than breasts. They’re juicier even though I can sous vide a breast to be fairly moist. Ground beef tends to be cheaper with fattier meat so that’s a win/win. For something like a chuck roast, I like a nice fatty marbling that runs through the meat. It breaks down so well in the sous vide and provides the most wonderful flavor and texture. Eggs are near to the perfect food with their fat and protein ratio. A nice fatty piece of wild caught salmon is some good eats, too!

Real food. It’s what’s for dinner. :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

@Chester This means that if you eat equal weights of protein and carbohydrate, your macro ratio will be pretty close to 30% protein and 70% fat.

And don’t make the mistake of thinking that 16 oz. of beef is 454 grams of protein; it’s more like 117 g, the rest being fat, water, and possibly a very small amount of glycogen. And of course all those vitamins and minerals.

Our standard recommendation for protein is 1.0-1.5 grams per kilogram of lean body mass per day, but some experts recommend as much as 2.0 grams. There is a wide range of latitude here, so don’t sweat it. :bacon:

BTW, an egg has protein and fat in almost exactly the best proportion. Beef comes close.

(Running from stupidity) #15

Aye, I’m usually well over the supposed recommended protein. I might be doing Atkins :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Or even LCHF! :smile:

(Running from stupidity) #17

Yeah, who knows, right?

It’s not like I CARE about the label, really :slight_smile:

(Brian) #18

^^^^^^^ This…

I think when we are first starting our best accomplishment is no wheat, starch, sugar. They are the evils of the food industry. Also stay away from fruit

(Greg) #20

I finish a lot of my leaner cuts with a compound butter. Adds great flavor. My favorite is to mix 2 table spoons of softened butter with one tea spoon of minced garlic and fresh parsley. Place a big dollop on top of your meat as it’s resting.

Drizzling extra virgin olive oil on your leafy greens makes for a much smoother texture and adds some good fat.