Too much protein - need ideas

(Randy) #12

If you put all your food in 2 meals, maybe you won’t feel as strong a need to snack.

(Sharon) #13

Yes eat more during meals and try more green veggies.
Yesterday I had a lazy day and didn’t eat veggies at all except for a bit of salad in the evening. I had plenty of fat and enough protein, yet I was so hungry after dinner…

(bulkbiker) #14

Have since gone on to ditch a bit more…but the first 80 just fell off… don’t get too stressed about macros… when I lost the weight I had never heard of them!

(Ellie) #15

I used the same calculator as you, I just put maintain.
As for protein, I agree with the other posters not to worry about it too much.
But try to get most of your food from fat sources, so fatties meats rather than chicken for example, cheese is fine. Maybe make a cheese sauce for veggies with cream and grated cheddar cooked together.

:grinning:I’m in that category

I’m off work due to an injury and it’s very hard not to snack…:roll_eyes:

That sounds nice! What are fatty meats? I must admit I struggle eating fat. I gag. Not cream and butter etc but fat on meat. I cut every last bit off chicken, steak, bacon rashers etc either before or after cooking.

(Ellie) #19

Slow cooked pork, or ribeye steak are good. The fat is more within the meat fibres rather than in a layer on the outside so those might be better for you.
Chicken thighs rather than breast.
You can also add other fats, scrambled eggs with plenty of butter cooked in, mashed cauliflower with cream and butter. You might find you get more of a taste for fat on this diet so try it in different ways.

Thanks Ellie and everyone for your help.

(Wendy) #21

That’s probably why you are still hungry. Maybe try crisping them up a bit. It may be more palatable to you then. You can also add fats to your meats and sides. I like to add butter. Avocados can be added to so many meals. I sometimes add coconut oil to things as well. It’s a great fat for cooking with.
When I don’t get enough fats, and I don’t count macros, I don’t lose and I feel hungry.

This is great advice. When I first started trying keto I was getting my information from a different forum site where they are ALLLLL about macros. I used 3 of their suggested macros, created an average of the recommendations then did my best to match it gram-for-gram. Uh oh! I’m short on fat but I’m already at my protein maximum, I guess I need to drink Olive Oil…wait! That puts me over on calories! How did I mess this up? I should find another keto magical calculator.

If you try to get everything right you will drive yourself crazy AND you’ll end up “failing” and getting discouraged. From what I can tell, 85% of this way of eating is:

1. Keep carbs at/under ~20g (and watch for hidden carbs in your ketchup, gummy vitamin, cough syrup, salad dressing, etc etc).
  2. Replace what would have been carbs with fat/protein/fatty protein.
  3. Only eat when you’re hungry.

If you can do that for a solid 1-2 months, then you start getting fat-adapted and being more energetic and your tastes will change (and/or you’ll get used to resisting temptation) it makes it all much, much easier.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #23

This, exactly this.

(Laurie) #24

I find it helps to approach things from a different angle. Rather than saying “I want to have Stroganoff sauce with this meal,” you can say “How can I add fat to this meal?” Whether it’s in the form of mayo, butter, or a tasty sauce, or cooking the chicken in lots of grease, there are various ways of doing it.

Italian dressing used to be my secret cooking ingredient–for cooking, marinating, you name it. I make my Italian dressing with 2/3 cups olive oil, 1/6 cup vinegar (any kind), and 1/6 cup water (plus seasonings of course), so it’s mostly fat.

(Splotchy) #25

If you need more fat and less protein, then add butter to everything (you can butter slices of meat as though it were bread, put butter in coffee, soften it and stir into a salad etc).

I find I only lose weight if I up the fat. This may be because I hit some sort of magic macro level. However I’m more inclined to believe it’s because eating fat makes me full. So full that I miss meals out and (without effort) find I’m intermittent fasting. I just don’t have the urge to constantly graze or stuff myself if I’ve had a decent amount of fat.

@jacymac I haven’t been able to increase my macros as yet but I am going to start tomorrow (I have found it difficult to eat over 1000 cals). I am nearly 5 weeks in now and have lost 8lbs, 5lbs of which were in the first week.

I think it would help if I knew the science behind the theory? The whole starvation mode if you reduce cals too much. I don’t understand why people experience much better weight loss when they use the maintenance macros rather than the weight loss macros given on the ruler me macro calculator?

(Running from stupidity) #27

I wrote a post about this last week, and it’s got a link in it to Dr Jason Fung’s site, which is excellent for this.

@juice Thanks - my bedtime reading :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #29

I tried to write it so it won’t put you to sleep, but yeah, it probably will :slight_smile:
Also, the comments thread is prob better than the article anyway :wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: It’s 11.45pm here. I’m going to read it to give me the motivation from the off tomorrow to eat more! That’s if I don’t fall asleep half way thr… :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

(Mike W.) #31

I’ve been Keto going on 2 years and I needed to hear this. Thank you.