Too much protein - need ideas

Hi, I am returning to Keto after a break and a very disappointing weight gain of 2 stone :disappointed:. My macros for weight loss are 1066 calories, 81g fat, 20g net carbs and 64g protein. I Am struggling to stay within the protein limit. Yesterday I had 4 slices of wafer thin chicken and 1 bacon rasher (with salad and mayo for lunch) 19 g protein. For dinner I had 200 g of chicken breast (made a stroganoff with cream, Creme Fraiche, Worcester Sauce, Butter, garlic, mushrooms and peppers, 63g protein. My total macros for the day were 20g net carbs, 39g fat and 82g protein. As you can see I am way off the macro mark! I don’t think I will lose any weight like this? How can I eat the correct macros and not be hungry ( what can I eat that’s low protein , tasty and filling)? Thanks.

(Ellie) #2

Wow, that is very low calories and fat macro.
Where did you get the numbers from?

Can you give us some stats about you, height, age, etc?

(Ken) #3

Raise your protein to 35 percent. You’ll still be in Lipolysis. One third fat to two thirds meat, by weight. High fat is fine in the very beginning, but to think you need to follow it in perpetuity is Nutty Keto Dogma.

I used a Keto calculator from here https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
I am 50 years old and 5ft 5. I weighed 148 lbs 2 weeks ago when I started Keto again and weigh 143.2 lbs today. The last time I did Keto I weighed 122 lbs when I stopped. I do think that I wouldn’t have been able to maintain that weight… (I had an accident and surgery about 6 months ago and Keto went out the window. I gained 2 stone in 6 months!) Yesterday I only ate 770 calories which I know isn’t enough and I won’t lose any weight. I want to eat but I don’t know what to eat to keep my protein count within a weight loss range?

(Ellie) #5

Based on that info and using sedentary as your exercise level, I get:
“Based on your inputs, we suggest you eat: 1447 calories. From those, 115g fats, 20g net carbs, and 83g protein”
I guess you must have put in lose weight and quite a high deficit.
In general we don’t suggest using a deficit as you will be lowering your metabolism and actually make it harder to lose weight.
The best advice is to keep to less than 20g carbs, adequate protein (could easily be 80g for you) and fat to satiety. Don’t worry about cals and try to listen to your own hunger signals.
If you are hungry, eat!

The only reason to watch calories is to make sure you are getting enough!

Thank you. I’ll try those macros. However if I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, chicken for lunch and seafood for dinner (and cheese which I love and eat every day) I am over 100g protein and that’s without snacks if I’m hungry or need to reach my calories. What can I do? What can I eat to reach my cals, carbs and fat And protein of 80g ( not 100 or more)? Any suggestions? Also can you give me a link for the calculator you used so that I can re-assess if I lose weight?

(bulkbiker) #7

Carbs below 20g and for the next three months forget about anything else… see where you are then and start tweaking macros. Don’t try and start perfect otherwise you’ll never get started. For my first 6 months I just cut right down on carbs and skipped breakfast… didn’t count a thing… lost just under 80 pounds.

(Randy) #8

I would suggest trying intermittent fasting. Skip breakfast and have 2 meals a day. If you’re fat adapted, and have weight to lose 16/8 shouldn’t be too hard.

Wow! Congratulations! 80lbs is phenomenal! I

(Sharon) #10

I’m new to keto and had to figure out a few things. I’m 5 weeks in and pretty much fat adaoted. I also went through a few days of feeling hungry and eating too much protein. What helps for me is eating more green veggies, spinach, salad, cellery. If I don’t eat those every day I get hungry very easily. Now I can go 18 hrs without food and eat twice a day without snacking.
So, enoufh fat is very important but for me plenty of green veggies are too!

I can skip breakfast but I always feel a bit peckish between lunch and dinner and just before I go to bed…

(Randy) #12

If you put all your food in 2 meals, maybe you won’t feel as strong a need to snack.

(Sharon) #13

Yes eat more during meals and try more green veggies.
Yesterday I had a lazy day and didn’t eat veggies at all except for a bit of salad in the evening. I had plenty of fat and enough protein, yet I was so hungry after dinner…

(bulkbiker) #14

Have since gone on to ditch a bit more…but the first 80 just fell off… don’t get too stressed about macros… when I lost the weight I had never heard of them!

(Ellie) #15

I used the same calculator as you, I just put maintain.
As for protein, I agree with the other posters not to worry about it too much.
But try to get most of your food from fat sources, so fatties meats rather than chicken for example, cheese is fine. Maybe make a cheese sauce for veggies with cream and grated cheddar cooked together.

:grinning:I’m in that category

I’m off work due to an injury and it’s very hard not to snack…:roll_eyes:

That sounds nice! What are fatty meats? I must admit I struggle eating fat. I gag. Not cream and butter etc but fat on meat. I cut every last bit off chicken, steak, bacon rashers etc either before or after cooking.

(Ellie) #19

Slow cooked pork, or ribeye steak are good. The fat is more within the meat fibres rather than in a layer on the outside so those might be better for you.
Chicken thighs rather than breast.
You can also add other fats, scrambled eggs with plenty of butter cooked in, mashed cauliflower with cream and butter. You might find you get more of a taste for fat on this diet so try it in different ways.

Thanks Ellie and everyone for your help.