🛌 To Sleep Perchance to Dream

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Lots of included links. The following grabbed my attention:

Mike’s Single Sentence Summary™

Lack of enough quality sleep time screws your hunger/satiety signalling big time.

Weight gain woes..help me!
(Bob M) #2

I don’t doubt that. I’ve only gained “weight” twice on low carb/keto in the last 7+ years: (1) after shoulder surgery; and (2) trying the Croissant Diet.

After should surgery, it’s painful to sleep and you can’t sleep on your side. You have to sleep “propped up” to keep pressure away from your shoulder. And I sleep almost exclusively on my side. I had to have three locations to “sleep”. I gained weight after that. In fact, that’s why I got DEXA scans done: I couldn’t figure out WHY I was gaining weight.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

I suspect this is my number one problem in life starting about preschool.

(Bob M) #4

Is that hyperbole? :wink:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #5

Haha! The #1 part yes, the preschool part no.

(Joey) #6

Enjoyed the MSSS :tm: territory marker … and yes, sleep definitely matters. I get peckish just thinking about it. :sleeping:

I mentioned taking 5g of carbs 1 hour before bed time and half an hour before sleep for LCHF eaters, especially, if they were chronic users, as a way to manipulate sleep depth and reduced waking. It ws in a carnivore thread. It came from a CarnivoreMD. It works in winter’s long sleep (longer dark hours) as an n=1. The 5g of carbs was honey. An animal-based food medicine. Honey has different metabolism in many human bodies when compared to sucrose or fructose. Thus making it manipulable as a sleep tonic.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Composition Database, 100 g of honey contains 35.8 g of glucose and 40.9 g of fructose. It also contains small amounts of galactose (3.1 g) and maltose (1.44 g).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

There’s also an unmeasurable elixir of magical bee spit that makes it all good.