To have a cheat day or not?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #17

WHATS A CHEAT DAY?

I think I remember…what maybe 600 threads about this before this one. :thinking:

(Karen) #18

Not

K

(Candy Lind) #19

@richard! Another one stuck with no love. :sob:

(linda) #20

AMEN!!

(Candy Lind) #21

It’s YOUR n=1 … OWN IT. I couldn’t do what you do, but if it works, go for it.

(Richard Morris) #22

@109d33bb44d476da242e has accidentally switched into anonymous mode … which is a way we can switch from our well known ID with seniority and access to a temporary anonymous account just to post something anonymously. That anonymous account is basic and won’t have a lot of likes. She needs to exit from anon mode.

(Ron) #23

Interesting Read.

(Ken) #24

It is, and has always been, the chronic pattern that counts. This is what determines the dietary hormonal secretions, and the corresponding states of either being lipolytic or lipogenic.

Eating some carbs occasionally while being primarily lipolytic (keto) is fine, and is beneficial in the hormonal sense. Developing a Carb phobia is simply “Nutty Keto”.

Nutty Keto is when you eat a few grapes and think you’ve been kicked out of LIPOLYSIS.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #25

I don’t have a regular cheat day as it throws me back to nasty cravings and bad eating patterns and I feel really hungover the next days.

I do however have a few rules set to myself so I can still “live” without “missing out”

• If it’s something I never had (local food on travels for example) I can make an exception.
  • If it is homemade I can make an exception (for example when my friend who is an exceptional baker creates something new.)
  • If you plan ahead and you don’t decide on the spot to make an exception it seems more likely to go back to “normal” afterwards
  • I always ask myself “is it worth it being miserable tomorrow?”

Also I try not to “cheat” more than twice a month, that is my sweet spot it seems…

(Chris) #26

I decided against cheating with bad foods, aside from my children’s birthday cakes (only 2 kids thank god, that’d be too much cake otherwise). However I’ll pig out on beef and pork, where I’m sure 60% of “healthful people” would consider that a massive cheat. (statistic made up)

(Samantha Smith) #27

Hey, whether you take one bite of junk food or a whole plate, junk is junk. And this has happened to me in the past when I was not concerned with my health.

A couple of years ago, a local nutritionist advised me that I can have one cheat day per week and as Sunday came, I was excited (controlled my cravings for that day :P) and had junk food that day and believe me, I wanted to have junk on Monday and Tuesday too and I was telling my self that one bite would NOT make a difference but it did. I couldn’t stay focused.

Then I controlled myself as it is for the benefit of my health and body in the long run.

One thing I always tell others - The food that looks good IS actually BAD for your body and the food that does NOT look that good IS actually GOOD for your body. :wink:

(Mark Rhodes) #28

Seems to me you are also a friend of Bill and Bob. Me too.

(Mark Rhodes) #29

Ultimately it resides in what your goals are.

My “cheat” days are days like holidays when I make Keto-cakes, pies, cookies. I slice stays in bounds. 6 slices, not so much.

For me I want to bring my body back into an optimal condition as efficiently as possible. In my mind this means adherence to my keto plan. Some days my carbs go up to about 60 but those are still brussels, zucchini almonds, almond flour etc. The next day I tighten the ship KCKO.

My ultimate plan is once I have reached my health goals to introduce seasonal foods such as a couple apples, root vegetables and maybe some Christmas cookies. I will be able to afford it.

(Brian) #30

72.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot! :smiley:

(Vincent Hall) #31

Same here, Im just back from a 10 day vacation from keto.
Back into it now but aiming not to quite so strict with myself.
If I find it mucks me up to much I’d change the plan again.
\v/

(Chris) #32

^ This guy gets it :laughing:

(Olivia) #33

I have a bit of a different take. There is no such thing as a cheat day or cheat meal. This is not a school exam where a teacher will reprimand you for cheating. Nor will you find absolution by confessing to eating three cookies on the ketogenic forum. What actually happens when you “cheat” is you have an interruption in your usual way of eating. That’s all. This entire idea of “cheating” is an unhealthy moralization of food, which feeds a binge-eating disorder along with feelings of guilt. It’s the what-the-hell effect: “I had a slice of cake, which was in the office coffee room, therefore the day is ruined and there is no point going back now. So, I eat all the forbidden things until I feel sick, ashamed and like a complete idiot.”
Instead of calling it cheating (or treating yourself) just say you want to eat it because it tastes really nice. Chose something you really want and of high quality such as the best burger in town. Be mindful, enjoy every bite, and see how your body feels.

(Brian) #34

It was just the perfect setup! LOL!! I couldn’t just let it pass by… :smiley:

(Dan Dan) #35

I don’t cheat however I do ‘Indulge’ with the full knowledge that it may require an adjustment to my feasting/fasting regimen so as to not interfere with my goals :smiley:

Just today a friend who I have not seen in months invited me to dinner. I ordered my usual ‘Indulgence’ Liver and Onions with crumbled Bacon and small Fries and loaded salad for a total of 70g net carbs. My average net carbs is 50g OMAD and 75g OM2D or OM3D and I have no problem staying in ketosis and continue to lose weight and inches.

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(SleepyMotherOf3 🇬🇧) #36

I have a planned ‘cheat’ of :chocolate_bar::cake: once a week. This does make me slightly hungrier the next morning but I keep busy and accept it.
I wasn’t T2D before keto so not too metabolically damaged.