Timeline of Sugar

(Ross) #1

The Sugar Timeline

This is pretty darn cool! (in a f-ed up scary sort of way)
Someone put some time into creating a rather comprehensive timeline of sugar and the related disease effects.

I wonder what a broader timeline of Insulin Resistance might look like?

(Doug) #2

Ross, there would be some usefulness in looking at obesity and diabetes rates, obviously, and in the late 1970s and early 1980s was when the recent (and still in force) uptrend began.

The McGovern Commission report, the new ‘food pyramid’ with lots of grains on that bottom, largest layer, the “low-fat” movement, the fears of saturated fat, were all at or beginning in this time, and in 1980 the “Dietary Guidelines for Americans” came out from the government for the first time.

(Ross) #3

Hey Doug.

Good idea & nice chart! I heard on a podcast or perhaps on a Low Carb Down Under video…I’ll have to track back where…that prior to the rise of industrial sugar production (which made sugar cheap enough to be widely affordable) that Type II Diabetes was almost non-existent. This is similar to the idea that prior to the introduction of refined sugar to indigenous populations, cancer didn’t exist in those communities (per British medical reports).

(Doug) #4

It seems there is a veritable tidal wave of information pointing a bad finger at sugar and refined carbohydrates these days.

Ross, I had not heard that about sugar and cancer for indigenous populations. I’ve read that in Australia’s indigenous peoples, diabetes was not found until they began a "western’ style of eating.

Man, I shudder to think of how much sodapop I used to drink.

(Ross) #5

I hear ya!

I can’t recall who mentioned that little tidbit about cancer…might have been Noakes. It referenced medical records from the British Empire.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

2020–The USDA throws out old nutritional guidelines and fully embraces the ketogenic diet. Weight Watchers and The Biggest Loser disappear. The cost of health insurance plummets and a single payer system is implemented in 40 countries, including the United States. Sugar becomes anathema like cigarettes did just the year before.

(Doug) #7

Candy cigarettes are hard to find, anymore. :cry:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

I remember those awful things appearing every Halloween in the 70s, just like the wax soda bottles. (gag)

(Ethan) #9

That escalated quickly

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Unlike my blood sugar. Womp, womp.

(John Lackey) #11

Live Extension magazine has a great article titled The Great Sugar Cover-up. Sugar Industry Paid Harvard Researchers to Exonerate Sugar.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

I’m surprised universities aren’t offering Nutrition/Political Science combo degrees. It’s only a matter of time.

(John Lackey) #13

Wax teeth, Yummy

(Sheri Knauer) #14

I used to buy those candy cigarettes in the 5 and dime…

(Brad) #15