Time for a Podcast? If so, try This Week In Virology

(Bob M) #1

Somehow, I stumbled upon this:

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

In particular, I started listening to this episode:

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-617/

In the first part of this (I have a 30 minute ride to work, so say 30 minutes), the lead talker is a virologist from New York (NYC, I believe).

• He discusses a woman who had a positive PCR test (PCR test is the swab they put up your nose) for Covid-19, then 56 days later had another positive PCR test. 56 DAYS. I forget the reason for the first test, but she got the second test due to delayed, late-stage symptoms including pains in her hands and an inability to clear mucus. He says he has seen several of these patients, with similar late-stage symptoms.

• He says he does not know if this means they can shed the virus for that long, or if it’s remnants of “dead” virus, although this woman seemed to be having some possible symptoms.

• He goes through some of the difficulty in interpreting test results. That is, you get a positive or negative test: what does this mean?

• He also discusses the original idea of keeping the hospitals clear by sending PCR positive (but no longer symptomatic) people back to either their homes (might be OK) or to care facilities (not good). He says the decision to send people back to care facilities was a bad one. This is one reason why so many people in care homes got sick.

• They no longer do this, such that if you get a PCR positive test you do not go back to care homes, although this raises its own issues.

Anyway, it’s quite an interesting take on things, using people who are in the field and handling patients too.

Pains in hands may be a sign of nerve damage.

Sars-Cov-2 may lead to Vitamin B12 deficiency and Megaloblastic anemia because the virus attacks/destroys red blood cells. Vitamin B12 is required to produce red blood cells among many other requirements.

I supplemented heavily with Methyl B12 from Jarrow formulas when I was infected. 2-3 pills of 1000mcg before bed so I could produce enough red blood cells and melatonin to fall asleep.

(Bob M) #3

Interesting.

I listened to part of another podcast this morning. These start with 5+ minutes of introductions. Then, they interview a person who is on the front lines. That is, unlike John Ioannidis, who sits in an Ivory tower, they actually have patients.

Listened to part of this one:

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-621/

The clinical update included the following:

• People can be PCR positive for a long time (30+ days?). PCR testing tells whether you have an “active” Covid-19.

• People with two PCR negative tests are discharged, only to potentially infect others. They discuss one patient discharged to a “clean” floor, whose roommate became covid positive. These patients can also “rebound”, see below.

-They are seeing more people who have had covid 50+ days getting a rebound effect, and others who were negative, getting a rebound effect. Joints can begin hurting, there’s a phlegm they cannot discharge, etc.

• As part of this rebound, they are seeing people with bacterial infections. Some have even died of this. This occurs late, even after people have been released due to testing negative (last part: I think).

• They discuss serology testing, and “orthogonal” testing, which basically means to take two tests, spread apart by a day or so, to increase the reliability of the test. Apparently, the reliability of this test goes down when there are fewer positive people in the community.

• They discuss kids (average age of 10, but up to 20) getting Kawasaki-like disease. This is typically higher fever, diarrhea, left ventricle ejection fraction issues (heart failure), rashes, eyes and other locations red. It’s still rare, but they are seeing higher cases than normal.

I stopped at about this point (listened during my workout).

While I don’t know what’s “correct” in terms of lock down strategies, etc., I think it’s interesting to hear from people who actually see patients.

Thanks for posting this and I believe it. I’ve started experiencing joint pain these past couple of mornings since lowering the amount of exercise.

Viral myocarditis. Grains, too much protein and vitamin deficiencies reduces survival according to research I’ve been reading. Polyphenols, Omega 3’s, low carb/ketogenic and some fasting increases survival. I’ve been using 1/4 cup of black cherry juice when I feel I need to thin my blood. Polyphenols have shown remarkable benefits in reversing myocarditis and I remember feeling my left ventricle ejection fraction improve dramatically after the first time I drank a 1/4 cup of the lakewood black cherry juice. Tart juice with malic acid on the other hand increased inflammation.

I’ve noticed that Vitamin K2 and coq10 supplements promoted clotting and made my heart worse.

I had a minor symptom again during the night of covid 19. Conjunctivitis(Pink Eye) again with major watery discharge. I’m feeling fine now after a bodyweight workout.

This virus is really a test on how much a person wants to live. The strong survive and the weak wither away.

closed #5