Threaded topics

(ryancrawcour) #1

Another thing i miss about this forum is threaded comments & replies. The posts now just appear as a looooong thread. Someone replies to something and there’s no context about what the comment / reply was about.
You have to remember to manually use the “Quote” thing.

It would be great if there was a way to do threaded replies.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

If you click on the “reply” button on a given post in a thread, it should provide context on what/who you replied to.

IMO, Facebook’s “threaded” system is horribly broken and harder in the end to follow. But that’s just my opinion.

(ryancrawcour) #3

It’s less about having the context when you’re posting a reply. More about when you’re reading through a long long long thread with multiple people replying to different replies which address in themselves replies to replies. Threaded conversations make it readable. Else it’s just a mess.

(ryancrawcour) #4

Can you tell which reply this is a reply to?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

Yes, I understand.

I was just expressing my opinion that the FB solution isn’t measurably better…at least not for me.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

No, but that’s because you replied to the thread, not to me.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

Notice that if you reply to the person’s post, it provides an inline reference to what you replied to (click the name after the -> glyph). Not perfect, but enough to give you the immediate context.

(ryancrawcour) #8

Is this a reply to my original post, or to your reply, or to my reply on your reply? There’s no way to know.

Now imagine if this post were about baby corn being low carb or not … Good luck making sense of that after 300 odd replies.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

See the pic…totally possible to get context.

And it’s better than FB. Once you get to the 2nd level, FB gives you no context whatsoever. So a really long comment thread gets difficult to navigate, more so than the forum.

Anyway, kind of a moot point, as the decision has been made to move to the forums. I’m more trying to point out (for you and others who read this) how you can get the context you’re looking for.

(ryancrawcour) #10

Wasnt arguing the merits of moving to the forums, merely providing feedback on how the site can be improved, as requested by this channel.

sighs

(Larry Lustig) #11

The topics here are simultaneously flat and threaded. Flat is good because you can read through the conversation without having to scroll up and down trying to find a few new comments sprinkled among the ones you’ve already read. The threaded part (where you can see the comment you’re replying to) is good for context.

I can’t imagine it would be too hard to provide an option for threaded (like on FB) or flat viewing. I imagine the Discourse developers are pretty opinionated, however.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #12

Spot on, Larry.

That was my point, Ryan…not sure how much control there is over how post threading works, so trying to make the best use of what we have. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that. My bad.

(ryancrawcour) #13

Well, sorry for bringing it up. I’ll just refrain from sharing my ideas in the future.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #14

Ryan, I’m not sure how I did it, but clearly the way I responded got under your skin in a bad way.

For what it’s worth, that wasn’t my intent, and I apologize if I expressed myself poorly. Suggestions are always welcome, notwithstanding my clumsiness in responding to yours. Please keep sharing them.

Yes. You replied to the OP. I am replying to this statement.

I do think I get what you mean @ryancrawcour - maybe! All the replies are listed in a stream? You can see whether it is a reply to the OP or a comment as @devhammer pointed out. Play around for a while - there is no doubt that things are different here and that it takes some getting used to.

It’s also possible to quote part of a post or posts you’re replying to using the quote markup. The snippets will link back to the original posts for context.

(mwall) #18

I LIKE it already! I feel confident about this migration and look forward to learning this forum software. The more you use it the more it will make better sense than facebook EVER could dream of. :sunglasses:

(Guardian of the bacon) #19

The “quote” button works superb and I find it the best method when replying to anything more than a post or 2 above your response.

That got so crazy with responses added in all throughout the conversation that I still don’t think I read them all.

(ryancrawcour) #20

Oh, you didn’t get under my skin. We’re all good.