Thoughts on exogenous ketones

(Alicia Nicholson) #1

Has anyone tried adding exogenous ketones to their Ketogenic diet?

(Allie) #2

They’re a fantastic way to dispose of your hard earned money

(Jacob Wagner) #3

There is very little value unless you need quick easy energy, like if you are running a marathon. Even then its best to take Ketone Esters.

Even then, it is generally far better to take medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which convert quickly to ketones in the body.

The founders of this forum did a podcast about Exogenous Ketones here where they talk about these issues.

–Jacob

(VLC.MD) #4

Hi first time poster & interested in exogenous ketones.

I bought some last night.

For the price alone, I cant suggest anyone to bother.

A wise man once said:

Hilarious.

jillian uses Perfect Ketone.

Interesting. I am trying to learn more about ketones. I listened to the podcast last night. Jacob … seems like you have alot of knowledge about ketones … any good sources for me to read.

I am mostly interested in:

• basic science about ketones
  • therapeutic potential for Alzheimer’s, Seizure Disorder, and any other diseases.

Thanks !

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Check out the science section of the forums. Lots of good stuff there. Also listen to the Dudes’ podcasts. Cheers.

(Jacob Wagner) #6

I am just a guy who got excited about fixing my metabolism about 2 months ago.

The default if you are interested inthe science is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable

If you like listening then I sugest going back to the podcast and listen to these episodes:

• Insulin
  • Ketones
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • Femail! (if aplicable)
  • Type 1 Diabetes with Ian Kelly
  • Metabolic Rate

If you are a regular podcast listener then all of the episodes have value.

I have heard that insulin levels have a significnt impact on Alzheimer’s but I don’t know any details. You will probably also find somethign int he Health section of this forum.

–Jacob

(VLC.MD) #7

@Jacob4Jesus - thanks for the links. I read the book The Obesity Code. I would like more practical info so that book sounds great.

Im not sold on exogenous ketones for weight loss but see it as a potential therapeutic tool for certain health issues. I ordered some to play with … I’ll see how it goes.

(Jacob Wagner) #8

Great. Please let us know what you discover.

(VLC.MD) #9

sister thread

(Doug) #10

Take away people’s desire to market something and make money, and take away people’s wish for a “magic pill,” and what do we really have here?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

A lovely way of eating that is not glamorous but is highly satisfying.