This stupid crap popped up in my FB feed

(Christine J) #2

These companies are sharks.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Sic 'em, Christine. Grrrr!

(Richard Morris) #4

Oh FFS. Oooo wait I can blur now … hold on

Oh for fucks sake

Those Bastards are using bro-science in order to sell their calorie restricted ketone supplemented rubbish diet plan.

No you DON’T lose muscle tone once you stop losing weight yet remain on a ketogenic diet. You plateau because your body has reached a point at which it will defend further weight loss. That is the point that your body believes given 1000s of factors that you are barely aware of that it can maximize your survivability. One of those factors is your level of basal insulin.

You LOSE muscle when you plateau AND THEN calorie restrict while your body is INHIBITED from accessing body fat for energy (Insulin). Of course the only thing it can do is start throwing the furniture on the bonfire (burning protein for energy).

It’s surprises me how many shonky diet gurus willfully misunderstand the fundamental biochemistry and try to force people who have a documented history of high basal insulin into a CI:CO diet plan that will GUARANTEE to put them on the weight loss YoYo - and each downswing of the YoYo they will be losing lean body mass.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

Is that more like schlocky, or skanky?

(Richard Morris) #6

Personally I think the statement that “Only a calorie deficit guarantees fat loss” is a disqualifying statement of expertise for any guru trying to sell someone a diet regime.

(Morten Sorensen) #7

Here, here well stated!!

(Karen Parrott) #8

Julian Bakery got in a bit of hot water with the FDA in 2014. http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2014/ucm407036.htm

I remember this video from back in the day https://youtu.be/IdDfF4hXfj4

I’ve saved myself a lot of money by not bringing my SAD diet with me into long term weight maintenance

(Cheryl Meyers) #9

Yeah, back in 2014 Jimmy Moore talked a lot about how misleading their “low carb” bread was… he tested his blood sugars after eating Julian Bakery breads and whaddyaknow, they spiked.
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/?s=julian+bakery&submit.x=12&submit.y=15&submit=Search

I love the way that the guy in that youtube video slaps that spongy piece of bread around!

“Shonky”
adjective
dishonest or unreliable, third-rate, substandard, dodgy, charlatan… :grin:

(Richard Morris) #11

Yup I know a few Keto groups that preach that a caloric deficit is the only guarantee of fat loss - which if you have high basal insulin is a guarantee of lean mass loss.

And to compound it, they tell you to load up on the protein on your plate to avoid lean mass loss. If you are the kind of person who has a high basal insulin then you are ALSO the kind of person that over produces insulin in response to dietary protein. So not only do you lose weight by reducing lean body mass, insulin inhibits your ability to burn body fat, and you are hungry the entire time … and when you inevitably stop doing this to yourself … it’s your fault, you lack discipline.

That is a recipe for diet charlatanry.

(Christine J) #12

Yea they went onto slam Jimmy Moore claiming he regained his weight and again posted the link to their plan. I told them to keep spending their lies and they should be ashamed of themselves

(Christine J) #13

Hopefully someone saws the comments and went on to become enlightened.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Thanks, Kate, writers always love to learn new words.

Aw, hell, yeah. I got started on keto when I saw Peter Attia’s tear-filled TED Talk and realized he and I were separated at birth as far as the losing-athletic-performance-and-gaining-fat-despite-doing-everything-“right”-while-listening-to-doctors-tell-you-you’re-lying-somewhere-because-the-science-says-this-can’t-be-happening thing goes.

Science?! Yeah, I got yer science RIGHT HERE, you pompous, white-coated lint balls!

(Lard is Love) #15

I was going to mention Julian Bakery’s history…

“consider the source”

(Karen Parrott) #16

Indeed the history, your glucose meter, how you feel after you eat that stuff. I’m sure there’s members of this group that use those products and that’s OK

But for me I really susceptible to super high glucose levels & food addiction when I eat the substitute types of food.

The big ironic thing is that I live near one of the bakeries in San Diego County LOL. Thankfully someone in the Paleo world warned me not to bring my SAD diet with me

(Larry Lustig) #17

Dude, don’t hold back! Tell us how you really feel!

Hi Richard, how do we know a keto plateau comes from the body protecting itself from further weight-loss? I’ve never heard this explained via specific mechanisms, more put out as a hypothesis. There is also the strange co-existence of 2 seemingly contradictory phenomena put forth in the keto/fasting community: 1) we eat keto to satiety (which is typically less than 2000 calories because fat is great at satiating) and we get the rest of the necessary calories from stored fat thus losing weight; and yet 2) if you eat one meal a day (not sure if keto or not?) your body lowers basal metabolic rate to match the new lower caloric normal, resulting in an eventual weight loss plateau. I bring these up because is it possible that the keto plateau is actually the same plateau that happens on calorie restriction (lower bmr?). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

(Richard Morris) #19

I used to believe in a weight set point hypothesis, and I wasn’t the only one. Professor Ludwig gave a presentation in Sydney a few months ago where he spoke about the process of body set points referring to the Leibel study

His explanation of why we have as a population increased our defended body weight set point - is more insulinogenic food … and the corollary would therefore be a diet that lowers insulin secretion (keto) will lower your body weight set point to the level of your fasted insulin below which your insulin does not drop no matter what you eat.

I personally think there is a simpler upstream explanation than body set points, but the Leibel study is the one that makes the case for body weight set points.

Satiety is an integral of a lot of inputs including how much energy we can get from body fat given the current insulin level. The reason you don’t feel hungry at the beginning of a ketogenic diet is probably not because you are eating specifically satiating food … but because you already have at your dispose a LOT of energy from body fat.

That explains the observation that people start becoming more hungry despite eating the same food - their body fat is no longer willingly giving up energy.

As for OMAD if you can get your insulin low enough during the time of the day where you are not eating your one meal, and you have enough body fat then your metabolic rate doesn’t have to drop - so restriction of caloric intake does not have to mean caloric restriction.

Wonderful, thanks for your feedback, Richard! The point about OMAD makes a lot of sense. Seems like OMAD + keto would be a great way to get the insulin low enough to free up body fat for the remaining energy needs and avoid the lowered BMR.

(Trish) #21

At a glance, I read this heading as the stupid cat pooped… LMBO