This just in: The Case Against Sugar By GARY TAUBES

(Jo Lo) #21

Yes, I find the attacks on Taubes to be weak as well. It is like shooting the messenger.

Journalists are not research scientists, they are messengers.

If you want to shoot somebody that is in error, often due to conflict of interest, please shoot the bad scientists!

(Ross Daniel) #22

My feelings exactly. We are human, it is almost impossible to be truly unbiased and completely without prejudice. So I take everything I read with a grain of salt until I can find science that backs it up, at least where possible.

(Cheryl Meyers) #23

Another interview with Taubes: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2017/02/gary_taubes_on.html

Looks like Taubes gave a response here: https://www.cato-unbound.org/2017/01/30/gary-taubes/case-against-sugar-isnt-so-easily-dismissed

Iā€™m not going to pick a side on that one just yet, just providing more to look at in this context. Personally, I think Taubes is a great presenter of information, but I donā€™t know that he is great for information, understand and analysis. I think heā€™s on the right track relative to many others, but I donā€™t use him as a solid source and authority. The big point: I think the problems addressed really are likely more complex than just sugar, though I do think sugar is a big factor, at least for many people and in many contexts.

Gary Taubes is a frequent guest in Econtalk. His other episodes:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #26

I think he has a great ability to make what is sometimes quite complex science, both understandable and readable to the lay-person. ā€œGood Calories, Bad Caloriesā€ was something of a ā€œtomeā€, but quite a readable one. My slight problem is that I thought heā€™d already sufficiently demolished sugar in GCBC, so I wondered why he needed to write another book, and specifically about sugar. I did hear that at one time, he and Lustig were going to do a joint book, but for whatever reason, then decided not to. From my reading of it so far, in ā€œThe Case Against Sugarā€, his case against sugar is subtlely different to that of Lustigā€™s (which seems mainly against fructose/HFCS).

(eat more) #27

(Crow T. Robot) #28

Which is interesting because I donā€™t think he intends this. At least, in interviews he seems to take pains to point out that he doesnā€™t blame industry as much as he blames bad science/scientists.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #29

Subconscious, perhaps? Or maybe Iā€™m just overreading.

I actually just finished the book this week. I would agree that bad scientists come in for a good deal of blame as well. But the message seems pretty clear that part of the reason for the bad science is the fact that the sugar industry paid for it.

In fairness, Taubes also makes clear in the book that a big part of the problem is that we all want answers that are:

1. Extremely difficult to get through scientific study, because of the timescales required to see results, the many, many confounding factors that play into diet and nutrition, and the ethical issues involved in testing interventions that may cause harm.
  2. Enormously expensive to find, or at least to find with accuracy.

But scientists are still pressed for answers, so they guess. Which is wrong. Iā€™d love to see more scientists simply say: ā€œwe donā€™t know. Hereā€™s what we think, but itā€™s an educated guess, based on our current state of knowledge of the underlying processes.ā€

And sadly, by the time the information has gone from scientists, to the science press, to the mainstream or popular press, the message has gotten so completely garbled as to be largely useless.

(Jo Lo) #30

Yes, especially bad scientists that work for industry.

(Aaron R) #31

He did a great podcast with Joe Rogan too. where he goes into some really cool details about his history and controversy heā€™s stirred up.
STRONG LANGUAGE

(Mike Glasbrener) #32

I received the book over the holidays. Im about 60% of the way through. I love the book and think heā€™s largely accurate in his assume that of the sugar industry. Business is war and you solicit your allies to win at any cost. No sugar executive is going to allow his business to be scuttled without a massive war. The shareholders wonā€™t have it. Thus soliciting experts and influencing their opinion through incentives is what happens. After watching other industries like big pharma do the same I have no doubt the sugar industry did it.