The reality of SAD and dieting in MN

(Chris) #1

This article is the pure horror of Low Fat diets

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

This is why I don’t diet. And also why I changed my way of eating! :bacon:

(Chris) #3

I just totally understand the comments in the article. That’s what life is when you do not know about the ketogenic diet. I just want to tell them, “you don’t have to give up”. Everything you know about dieting is wrong. To lose weight, improve your health and be fully satiated is incredible. Don’t get me wrong, there are times when I am hungry and staring at the clock for lunch break, but its manageable and nothing like being addicted to a vending machine sugar source.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #4

I love where they say that some people can’t lose weight. I call bullshit! I “couldn’t” lose weight, either. Then my doc turned me on to this WOE. Seriously, people need to stop fighting the “it’s not unhealthy to be overweight” battle. It IS unhealthy. Period.

Oh, and I’m in Duluth, MN… SAD is a real thing here, but not an excuse.

(jilliangordona) #5

There’s a fine line between body positivity and being healthy. I have always wondered about this. I worry about obesity being celebrated as “body positivity” without acknowledging health consequences. You can love yourself AND recognize any health issues you may have, they’re not mutually exclusive.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #6

I started out at 274 pounds. My doctor never told me “your weight is leading to all of your health issues”, because, well, I’m sure he is afraid (like most doctors) to say “you’re fat” and get some sort of bad review or complaint or something… But, the reality was, I WAS fat. My weight WAS leading to all of my health issues. Well, that and smoking. I’m now 205 pounds. Down 69 pounds. I’ve gone from a size 22-24 to a 14; size 3-4XL to a L-XL. I’ve stopped using my blood pressure meds. I’ve cut my anxiety meds in half. I’m no longer prediabetic. My foot issues are gone. Knee issues almost gone. Back issues cut by about 50%. Hip issues cut by about 50%. I used to be able to walk less than a block without feeling tired. Now I can do a 5k without feeling tired. My house is cleaner than it’s ever been, my finances are better because I’m not paying for carbage. The only REAL complaint that I have is that I have to keep buying clothes… But, really… Look at that. Look at all the health issues that are better or are gone. So, do I think everyone should be like “Well, I’m overweight so I’m huge and fat and unattractive”? Simply, no. I do, however, think that it’s a little misguided to not think that your weight plays any role in your health.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

One of the points I found really intriguing, when I started learning about this way of eating, was a comment in a TED talk by Peter Attia, to the effect that perhaps the obesity was a result of whatever caused diabetes, not the cause of diabetes itself. And Robert Lustig makes the point in “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” that about 20% of obese people are perfectly healthy from a metabolic perspective: they live just as long, they don’t have diabetes or heart disease, and as he puts it “won’t cost the taxpayer a dime.” And then he goes on to mention the people who appear thin, but who are metabolically damaged and don’t know it, because they are not obese. Really started me thinking, and I began to realize that these two doctors were on to something.