The Party

(Rebecca ) #21

:rofl: those recipe card comments are a hoot!! I may as well add that I’m a “Lifetime Member”, too.
I haven’t been to a meeting in over 10 years. There is no way it’s sustainable over time!

I googled a bit. I still don’t know what WW does exactly but I learned that 1. chestfeeding is a thing. I don’t need such info but it’s nice to know things 2. Noom (it’s another program) belongs into my room 101. It has colors. My good staple food is in red except eggs (yellow) and egg whites (green). I don’t think I eat anything else (more than a tiny bit, at least) from green and yellow and it’s good as I don’t want to gain fat or lose my remaining will to live. I still deny the validity and depending on the day, existence of low-fat dairy items. They make zero sense and it’s not like I could buy them here anyway, thankfully. The very low-fat ones, I mean as 7% fat quark and 1.5% milk is quite low-fat if you ask me. Or 2% yogurt. I don’t know if that is the lowest here. I only buy Greek yogurt (10% fat) and once a year a tiny kefir (3.5%). But if one enjoys them, fine. I can’t eat 7% quark without adding sour cream (20-25% fat) or cream (30%. that’s the fattiest but it’s usually enough).

I just have read the WW card comments, they are hilarious and typically spot on if you ask me :wink: I would have asked my Mom to get such gems myself. But we aren’t a WW country and Mom never tried to lose fat anyway (but she did through garden work in summer).
The frozen coffee reminded me of a diet ““icecream””. It had water, cucumber juice and little else. Flavors notwithstanding, an ice cream requires fat. Or else it’s ice, period. We are humans, we need a lot of calories, why to do this to ourselves? I pretty quickly realized I just need to find the highest satiation per calorie food. It doesn’t need to be low calorie density… (That usually wouldn’t work at all, for multiple reasons.) Oh the good old days when “specifically diet food” meant food with over 500kcal/100g to me… Those days are in the past. Super low-cal stuff is still useless with few exceptions (like light soups. they are great).

I don’t know about such diet programs in this country, only individual people promoting things. I only remember one, she tries to lower both fat and carbs as much as possible (but mostly the fat as the big vegan part of the target group needs more than minimal carbs. and if you are a dieting women wanting cake 3 times a day - it seems it is a thing - and you don’t eat eggs, it’s quite tricky without some starches), it results in hilarious recipes I wouldn’t try but not all of them are like that.

(Marianne) #23

Yes! I remember those! :roll_eyes:

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

I earned a life time membership also back in the day. I regained it all within a year of what most would call normal eating.

Took me longer to lose 30 lbs.9 (slightly over a yr.) than going keto (lost 40 lbs in less than a year. I’m nearing my 7th yr. anniversary with keto/lc/hf WOE.

(Marianne) #25

Awesome!

(KM) #26

I tried WW once, about 15 years ago. Well, I went to the meetings in my small town, mostly for the camaraderie. Then I cheated by actually calculating my macros and dumping all the junk food including the junk food sponsored by WW. :laughing:. IIR there was some sort of sale membership going on, so it didn’t cost me much, I didn’t buy all the books etc.

So maybe in a way WW was my gateway to keto, because once tweaked so much it was unrecognizable, it actually helped.

(B Creighton) #27

Heh, heh. I can tell you have apparently never done Weight Watchers… Yeah, they do have their own food… at least they used to. You could buy Weight Watchers dinners, TV dinners, etc. You never had to… it was an option, but a more expensive one many people did. As I recall… very low fat. The stress in weight watchers was always low fat, low calorie. Most of the role of Weight Watchers was to support you in doing this paradigm. Not that it didn’t help women lose weight, but for instance not too much after my wife did it she ended up doing a “gall bladder cleanse” because she started getting gall bladder attacks. Fortunately for her, it worked, and helped her pass whatever gall bladder stones she had…but now she hates olive oil…

(Edith) #28

I remember hearing something in the news that Weight Watchers actually has a keto version now.

Oh. I wonder how they mess that up… Or there is a division or what that has very different ideas about what’s wrong and right? :smiley:

I never even heard about it until I was, like, 40? They aren’t in my country :smiley:

So typical women’s magazin starvation diet? How creative… I don’t think it suits a human… Or any living being. Even CICO sites know that! At least the one I use for tracking and recipe notes, sometimes I can’t find my old notes but my recipe is just there, useful.

Ouch, your poor wife. Good it ended moderately well. Is olive oil important? I simply dislike the taste so never eat it (except when we get Italian fish filled tiny peppers or something, I can handle it in really tiny amounts).

(B Creighton) #31

Weight Watchers is not something I pushed on her, but was one of the few real “options” at the time to lose weight. Keto was not a thing back then, and tbh just wasn’t something women did. It didn’t really end well either, because even though she did lose weight, she said she felt crappy, and kind of depressed, so she quit. Then within a few years she had the gall bladder issue. I now believe that was related to the diet being so low fat, that the gall bladder wasn’t sufficiently stimulated to squeeze out its gall… hence, a buildup which causes stones.

She has done much better with keto, but it is really not sustainable imho as she tries to do vegan keto… talk about hard. I think her gut still has a lot of healing to do. Anyway, I am happy with my practice of low carb, and I try to support my wife where I can.

She used olive oil to do her “gall bladder cleanse.” Basically, the idea was to swallow lots of olive oil to stimulate gall bladder contractions… Long story short, it did seem to work for her, but because she did so much olive oil, now she doesn’t even like the smell. Was olive oil important in the cleanse? Not sure, but I am glad she did that and not some refined seed oil. I have always liked the taste of good olive oil in certain foods. My mom made some killer french fries with olive oil and peanut oil. Is it important for her to have olive oil now? Mmm. She can live fine without it. She does use avocado oil, but that is usually going to be refined. I believe virgin olive oil is healthy, but is it really that much healthier than virgin coconut oil? I don’t know, and it does have some PUFA, so you don’t want to cook with it at temps much above 300F.

I meant the gall bladder issue as the cleanse worked, it could have been worse but better too if it just wouldn’t have happened… :frowning:
Good thing she quit. I always quit immediately if I don’t like a new diet… I quit keto too, I wasn’t ready yet but with some low-carb years under my belt, it was a very different experience. I should be better at sticking to things but some people are hard to see, they suffer, struggle and still stay “strong” :frowning: I believe nearly everyone has some method to lose fat or feel better that isn’t super hard. It may be difficult to find it and stick to it but it’s not some very temporal thing, it’s a good diet we can follow afterwards… We may change it later if we ourselves change, though. My body guided me well, I just had to show it new ways. I didn’t feel as a high-carber that all those carbs aren’t for me, sadly. I felt the need for good nutrients and I ate them but carbs? What’s wrong with carbs? I was so clueless :frowning:

Oh my, hardcore! :scream: Vegetarian keto was tricky enough. Not hard but not ideal for me. And I ate very much eggs and dairy. Whenever people say carnivore is extreme (some even call keto that), I think nope, vegan keto is extreme. Or raw veganism. Or carnivore with only meat but that is simple at least as meat is just that nutritious.

Good luck for both of you!

(Allie) #33

(KM) #34

IIR, some of the advisors of updated guidelines for what BMI qualifies as obese turned out to have strong financial or employment ties to the WW company. Moving those goalpost magically created millions of potential new customers.

I’m going to be a cynic and simply start out by assuming these same people or their replacements have the same sort of conflict of interest / vested interest with big pharma.

(Marianne) #35

Good for you - doesn’t matter how you get here!