The More I Learn

(Lynn Chodur) #21

It means that everyone is an individual. (not everything will work for everyone)

It definitely works, at least if you aren’t more than a little fat. Though it works by filling your stomach with indigestible carbs and water, thus creating a calorie deficit. You could also be lucky and lose lots of water due to diarrhoea or whatever. If I were eating to fit into slight tight clothes for a special occasion, this is what I’d do. I’m doing keto instead, though, for my metabolic health.

(Cindy) #23

This is why I don’t agree with the people who say “all carbs are poison.” And that fructose is even worse. We don’t eat isolated substances. If carbs were truly poison to the body, then even the trace carbs in foods would begin to cause problems. We’re called omnivores for a reason. :wink:

Dr Berry likes to refer to our ancestors. Such as, it makes sense that, in the absence of fuel, we’d have greater clarity, more energy (producing ketones), would not lose muscle mass, etc, so that we could still go out and hunt food. Yes, eventually, lack of fuel (true starvation) results in death, but it takes a lot to get the human body to that stage.

So the same goes for some of the things we eat. Fruit, in season and in moderation, certainly didn’t kill off our species. Yes, current agricultural practices have resulted in much larger, much sweeter fruit available year round, and I believe that that isn’t necessarily healthy because it’s too much all the time. But I have no doubt that our early ancestors, when finding a ripe apple tree, ate as many apples in as many ways as they could until they were gone.

To be fair it’s the dosage that makes the poison. We as a species technically eat poisonous things (nightshades like eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes) because in the quantities we consume them, they won’t kill us.

With fructose we’ve seen over and over tho that people become addicted to it. How many stories have we come across with people who eat an obscene amount of fruit because they miss how sweet it is? A handful of blueberries won’t hurt you, but a bowl every single day? Especially if you’re already on the track to fatty liver due to the prevelance of HFCS? Best to keep fruit to a minimum still.

“Dr” Berg isn’t an MD or PhD type doctor. He’s a chiropractor.

I don’t think he outright willfully deceived me, but I thought he was an MD.

When he regurgitates what the proper doctor say then he’s fine, there’s plenty of useful info there. But no other keto experts suggests 7 cups of veggies? Avoid vaccinations? So bring back small pax and polio?

Try Drs Westman, Phinney, Volek, Tim Noakes, Robert Lustig, Ken Berry, David Diamand, Ted Naiman …

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #27

I think a healthy body can handle fruit just fine. But there are so many things making us unhealthy. And I wonder if prior to industrial agriculture we thought of fruit as a treat, not a requirement. Now Candy is the (daily) treat, and fruit is a requirement. This is the problem with fruit, in my opinion.

Alex ~ have only a little bit of experience with the guy, but became skeptical at chiropractor, my eyes rolled a bit at Scientologist, and I straight up shut down at anti-vaxer. On my avoid list. The guy apparently ignores scientific evidence a bit too much for me to take him seriously.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

I believe they do. And fructose is worse than glucose in my book, because of the liver damage, but of course liver damage scares me more than advanced glycation end products and readily-coagulable blood do, for some reason.

The key is the moderation, yes indeed. And being that many folks are serious carb/sugar addicts, moderation isn’t an option for a long while - the brain has to change a lot.

I do think higher amounts of certain fruits make good sense during a rejuvenating low-carb cleanse (a la Louise Gittelman PhD) and for those that live in heavenly tropical regions and successfully avoid much of any refined carbs, sodas, etc. It’s just that the SAD and SAD-recovery sugar addicts have to address sweet taste dependencies, and learn how to love the salty & savory.

Fortunately for me, was never a sugar addict, and I never much appreciated any sweet raw fruit - so having a LCHF/keto palate now, pears and apples and berries (raw or slightly sauteed in butter with cinnamon) are incredibly flavorful and satisfying in modest amounts. Fat-adapted moderation seems to come naturally with nutrient-dense satiation - what a gift!

While certain whole fruits bind most of the fructose in fiber (and likewise raw honey’s additional compounds apparently bind the fructose similarly with minimal metabolization), and while fruit skins have many healthy compounds like antioxidants, pectin, etc - I think the real scary monster is fruit juice, which is basically a sugar water IV.

Especially when made from cooked/concentrated, such as that frozen O.J. stuff (27g refined carbs per 8 ounces). Then add toast with jelly, or some sugary cereal, and the typical SAD kid starts the day with a sugar high followed by a terrible crash and food cravings, up and down all day.

Also, canned fruit - it’s in sugar syrup! I used to love it as a kid - which is probably why I never took to real fruit most of my life, because it didn’t taste sweet enough to my canned-fruit palate :crazy_face:

(DougH) #32

You lost me here with Bio-active water.

Biodynamic, meaning containing salts/minerals from the plant itself and sun-charged/energized molecules as opposed to much industrial tap water. Apparently it can be more hydrating due to the constituents that carry it into the body’s cells.

OTOH, some of the worst drinking water is found on planes, tap water plus radiation from the flight itself, plus contamination.