The Mayo Clinic Diet?

(Bunny) #1

Just received this in a email:

The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life?

”…Typical menu for the Mayo Clinic Diet: The Mayo Clinic Diet provides several calorie levels. Here’s a look at a typical daily meal plan at the 1,200-calorie-a-day level: …”

”… Breakfast: 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal with 1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons raisins, 1/4 cup mango, calorie-free beverage Lunch: Quinoa and sweet potato cakes, tossed salad with fat-free dressing, calorie-free beverage Dinner: 1 pita pizza, 3/4 cup mixed fruit, calorie-free beverage Snack: 1 cup sliced bell peppers and 2 tablespoons hummus …” https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/mayo-clinic-diet/art-20045460

The road to diabetes???

Even if you cannot go keto the sugar content from the sample looks really scary???

Mayo Clinic (so disappointing) needs smarter doctors!

(Jessica) #2

I would be. SO. hungy!

(Ken) #3

Typical, carb-based, calorically-restricted diet. Been around since 1949 in various forms. It’s the faddest of fad diets, but has no doubt resulted in generating plenty of business for the clinic.

(Cristian Lopez) #4

Damn its prob from a old fasion mindset with fear of fat?

(Todd Allen) #5

The tossed salad with fat sounds good. Not sure why the dressing is free, if it has a lot of fat I’d be happy to pay for it.

The Mayo Clinic diet is a vast improvement over the SAD their target audience is consuming. Add in some time restricted eating, and participatants are likely to improve their health considerably.

A ketogenic diet is too restrictive to become mainstream. It works for us, but it’s just not sustainable for the majority of the population.

The Mayo Clinic is helping contribute to solving the crisis of obesity, and they don’t deserve our mockery.

(Ken) #7

Hmmm. Consider this:

If you take the SAD, reduce the calories to the same levels to that of the Mayo diet, what would be the result?

Essentially the same.

(Bunny) #8

Would like to see the contributing “obesity solving” or “diabetes solving” research from the Mayo Clinic?

For $5.00 Dollars a Week (after) I want some cross validated empirical research?

I am ready to lose weight with the Mayo Clinic Diet!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

I know; a lot of people seem to think that carbs add a lot more to their life than their fingers and toes do.

(Michele) #10

I don’t see that a ketogenic diet/WOE needs to be seen as difficult or restrictive. First people need some education then practice with meal making and food choices.
Many people make all sorts of life restricting choices, going to the gym is common. I think we need to be saying eating keto means removing non nutritional foods (and yes for the most carb sensitive it can be more restrictive) and the effort is worth it. Like visits to the gym requiring effort, diligence, time restrictions, and many people say it’s worth it. You also can’t be sloppy with your workout because poor form can lead to injury, so equally you need to be educated and make good choices. All of this is true of lots if areas of our lives (saving money is another one thatcomes to mind).
Read an article in our local newspaper today that said the DASH diet came out top for the 8th year. Keto and Whole30 were the worst as they are incredibly restrictive and that the rapid weight loss would only lead to it all being gained back again. Rather sick of ill informed journalists writing articles that misinform the public.

(Bunny) #11

I agree with you in so many ways.

The regain in weight has always been of interest to me and that comes from unbeknown damaging of the metabolism without the proper nutrition or giving up when the scale is not budging because the metabolism needs to heal and takes some people longer than others to adjust to the new metabolic environment.

Time restriction cycles are so key!

I not an expert on diets, but VLC diets aren’t the only effective diets for treating IR. I’ve seen reports of plant based diets that are low fat being successful. Check out bullet point #6 of Chris Kresser’'s blog, complete with annotations.
https://chriskresser.com/7-things-everyone-should-know-about-low-carb-diets/

I recently told someone that if you are not planning this as a permanent change, do not bother.

Initially I wanted the weight loss and I did wonder when Dr. Fung talked about this curing diabetes and IR. I still believe that it will not permanently fix you, but it will as long as you stick to it and I plan to stick to it