The macro breakdown Transitioning from keto to low carb?

keto
science
food

(Ashley ) #1

Hello I have been trying to find information via google on what my new macro breakdown should be to transition from keto to low carb. I have been on keto for 8 months (70 LBS DOWN! :tada:) but I am starting to jog and do workout tapes. I noticed I get extremely exhausted and dizzy and lately i have been feeling quite strange after workout (Iā€™m also tired of my hair falling out :grimacing:) and Iā€™m thinking itā€™s time to slowly transition to low carb as I know I cannot do keto forever. Anyways if anyone is able to help me out with the carb/fat/protein ratio would be much appreciated im wearing myself out over here stressing about this lol

Iā€™m worried if I do more protein than fat itā€™ll turn into glucose and Iā€™ll gain. Heeelllp

EDIT: I have been using My fitness pal app to track everything and wanted to reset the settings as to why Iā€™m looking for answers on macros

(Allie) #2

Could just be time to increase your overall calories as well as protein, in fact that is more likely.

(Gabe ā€œNo Dogma, Only Science Please!ā€ ) #3

Grab this book. The new Atkins is 2 weeks of induction, and then slowly increasing your carbs. I think it might help you.

https://bookshop.org/books/the-new-atkins-for-a-new-you-the-ultimate-diet-for-shedding-weight-and-feeling-great/9781439190272

Itā€™s very personal. I donā€™t even have the same macros on keto let alone on low-carbā€¦ And I donā€™t even track often as itā€™s not a good way to live. If you want more carbs, just add some? At least someone with my personality and attitude would do so (and body. I never add carbs gradually if my goal is low-carb but if your low-carb is quite carby, not like mine and you are more sensitive, yes, doing gradually may be better. being careful is always good. do it not in 1 but 3 days then but stop if your body complains?), I donā€™t really get why so many people are so focused on the ratio, itā€™s usually not very important (beyond getting enough fat and protein and not too much carbs), at least not on the level where we need to do something about it (I tend to automatically eat right, I feel what I want).

You mentioned exercise, maybe you need more carbs around it? Both before and after may have benefits as far as I knowā€¦ Try it subtly and carefully, no one knows what will be good for your body. And of course, the type matters. I am not particularly sensitive but if I ate a bunch of sugar (like fruit) alone, that wouldnā€™t feel so great. But others may love that. So, experiment and donā€™t do very sudden changes if possible.

Donā€™t worry about protein. Sometimes I eat twice as protein as fat, whatā€™s wrong with that? I probably lose best on those days, most of my protein sources are very satiating :slight_smile: Protein turning into glucose just because you eat high protein is an old myth, itā€™s not like that.
There is such a thing as too high protein but itā€™s not because it becomes glucose and itā€™s usually not very easy to reach. And it has little to do with ratios, itā€™s better to look at the grams for lean bodyweight. I am usually below 3 g/kg, somewhat above 2 in average and itā€™s okay for me. Unnecessarily much but I already eat as little protein as I comfortably can and as I wrote, I feel okay with it. Many people experience the same but some needs a much more modest amount.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Congratulations on your successful weight/fat loss. The symptoms you describe result from not yet being fat adapted in the sense that your muscles and other organs are still learning how to utilize fatty acids and ketones efficiently. Yes, even after 8 months! Your addition of enhanced exercise puts a heavier load on everything and the results are what you describe. My recommendation is just tough it out - it will pass eventually. If you start eating carbs to alleviate the symptoms they may in fact go away, but so will your opportunity to get fully fat adapted. You will also lose the health benefits of remaining consistently in ketosis. Yes, you can maintain keto forever. For 3+ million years, our ancestors spent probably 90% or more of their lives in ketosis. We have evolved to live in ketosis - itā€™s our natural and healthy metabolic state.

As for macros, I agree with @Shortstuff you may simply just need to eat more overall and bump up your protein. Youā€™ve added exercise to your daily routine which requires more overall energy than before - ā€˜eat less move moreā€™ only works short term before you drop from exhaustion. In fact, it sounds like thatā€™s what youā€™re going through now. Did you lower overall calories during the past several months thinking you had to ā€˜eat less move moreā€™? In addition, when exercising vigorously your muscles need more protein to maintain and strengthen, otherwise they just give up. More protein will also help stop your hair loss. Donā€™t fear protein, it doesnā€™t automagically turn into glucose just because you ate a gram or two more than absolutely required.

I think Bikmanā€™s recommendation of 1-2 grams of protein per kilogram of total body weight is the easiest way to calculate macros if youā€™re not either very large or very small. Iā€™d suggest you start at 1.5 grams and adjust over time as needed. Then by trial and error determine the total energy intake required to maintain stable weight at your new exercise-enhanced level. This may take a few months so be patient. Likely, you will eventually determine a ā€˜windowā€™ of total intake of +/- 3-400 calories or so within which you will comfortably maintain. (Example: my caloric maintenance window is 2300-2700 calories per day - Iā€™m a moderately active 76 year old male, total weight 145 pounds, BF 14-15%) You will also likely find that you end up with a macro somewhere around 1.5:1 fat grams:protein grams.

Hope this helps.

PS: About the ā€˜maintenance windowā€™. If I eat consistently at the upper end of my window, I will eventually (2-3 weeks) start to gain weight. If I eat consistently at the lower end of my window, I will eventually start to lose weight. Thatā€™s what I mean by calling it a ā€˜maintenance windowā€™. I use it, too, for example: if I want to drink some alcoholic beverage I eat at the low end of my window for a few days before and after, since Iā€™m going to get energy/fat from the alcohol and need to allow for that. If I do some IF for a few days, then Iā€™ll eat to the upper end of my window for a few days afterwards to avoid losing weight.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

That is a sign of not eating enough protein. Your body will make glucose from excessive protein, but that is pretty darned rare. (It will grow back, do a search in the forum for lots of discussion on that.)

Have you tried using the calculators on the keto sites like https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

I personally gave up all that macro stuff and stuck to lower carbs, lots of protein, and fat enough to keep from being hungry. It varied from day to day.

Good luck on sorting yourself out.