The last 10 pounds

cheatday
lchf
sugar
tips
weightloss

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #41

Interesting. Are you eating nuts?

Getting rid of cheese and cream removes a lot of the calorie-dense stuff I’ve been eating. It may be worth a try.

Eliminating all plants (green veg too) seems exceptionally drastic.

(Dave Linkston) #42

I am yet to decide what my final goal weight will be, at my last weigh in last Friday I was 2.6 kg from my BMI goal of 25. This is always my first goal but I have never beaten i, although I made it a number of times but fell off the wagon and regained when using a CICO approach

This time I am determined to get to a lower BF% some where between 15-18% and maintain this long term.

The weight is continuing to reduce as I am using strict keto foods, using a OMAD 7 days a week and PSMF protocol weekdays and less deficit on the weekends. I haven’t reached a plateau in the last 4 months as I have had consistent weight (fat) loss. I’ll keep you posted and let you know if the last 10 lbs is very stubborn.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #43

Honestly, after the first 10kg just dropped off, I had no idea the rest would be this hard. Orders of magnitude harder

Dude, you stuck out a nine-month plateau? You got me beat :wink:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #45

Total nightmare!

(Doug) #46

:frowning_face: Oh, great - when (if ever) I get down to your weight, this is what I have to look forward to…? :smile:

Cheers, Gabe - it’s important to keep our senses of humor, and to be thankful for what progress we’ve made.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #47

You’re right – although I just saw the sleep doctor, and he immediately said “you’ve got to lose weight.”

FML

(Khara) #48

Geeez. After all your hard work. What a lame-ass thing to say.

(Bella Tricks) #49

hey, i just read this thread. My suggestions:

• Throw away the scale. Measure key areas such as:
    underarm, nipples, belly button (or wherever your ‘true waist’ is), hips, top of thigh.
    Note where you take each measurement and be consistent. Megan Ramos suggests giving your scales to someone you dont like :joy:
  • Do more hours at IF. As you recall in above thread, you want to drive your basal insulin down.
  • It is possible you are having big BG excursions with all the high density foods. Also when you overeat, the pancreas produces insulin surges. I reckon you oughta stop the overeating, but keep a little cheese nuts…whatever you want. The reason I say this is…if you get deeper into IF, and say you are only eating in a window of 4 hours a day, you’ll have less time and inclination to have megatonnes of cheese nuts etc. Or at least, that’s the effect of lots of us.
  • And yes, with the IF, and extended fasts…I would go for say 20:4 and do that while the tape measure is moving, and then do some extended fasts and feasts to shake it up.
    Best of luck!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #50

I needed this today. I’m up at 81kg on the scale (and it’s definitely an increase in fat; I’m not doing strength training and I can feel the weight gain!) It’s alarming to me that the fat’s gone up and I’ve been doing almost nothing different.

I’m going to try focus on not overeating, and I think I really need to cut back on cheese, cream cheese, and nuts. I went crazy with macadamias and cream cheese last night. Now I’m sad.

EDIT: By the way, yesterday was a pretty typical day… I ate nothing till about 1pm, got a cortado with half and half then, ate my first meal around 2.30, then most of my calories were consumed between 7.30 and 10pm. Wondering if I can make any timing tweaks to prevent this weight accretion, a la 20:4 IF, or simply stopping eating at 8.30 or 9pm and holding a 7 hour eating window…

(Carpe salata!) #51

Tea. Green, Sage, Burdock Root, Sorrel, do some exploring :slight_smile:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #52

Cheese and nuts can definitely be addictive / “more-ish”.

I love cheese of all kinds, but one thing I’ve found is that unpasteurised cheese (if you have access to it) seems more satisfying, and I tend to eat less of it. (Which is just as well, as it tends to be more expensive). I suspect it’s more nutritious too, although I have no proof of that.

(Bella Tricks) #53

I wonder why you’re going ‘crazy’ on these things.
Are you craving a nutrient? Such as calcium.
Or is it psychological … You know… FOMO.
I’ve had to change my psychology. I’ve been listen to Jon Gabriel’s evening meditation each night for 4 months.
Recently I’ve been really feeling my lean, muscular body. I’ve been SEEING that in my self image. It took that long but now my self image has caught up. And guess what?
The tape measure is moving alot! (Also I do 20:4, and then switch it up with a little shorter and longer windows).

You mention the sleep.
Keep going with researching and applying the sleep hygiene. Be calm. Practice meditation. Believe in your body’s intelligence and truly KEEP CALM !
(&… U know the rest).
All the best.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #54

I appreciate all the kind thoughts, but I’m at completely lost. I assure you guys that I’m putting fat back on – I’ll pull the tape measure out tonight and prove it. In the meantime, I’m telling you: for some reason, I’m putting on weight for the past few weeks. After dinner last night (skirt steak in a red wine reduction with caramelized onions and Brussels Sprouts in olive oil at a restaurant) I was still hungry and felt like something sweet. So when I went home I whipped up some heavy cream and had it with strawberries.

Look, maybe it really is the fact that I’ve been eating past satiety, but I really don’t feel like my habits in the past few weeks have changed so drastically that I should be piling on pounds of fat so fast…

Something’s wrong :frowning:

(Doug) #55

So are we now talking about “The last 12 pounds”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Gabe, it’s still quite a tight range in weight…

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #56

Well I was 78.5 kg at the beginning of August. 81.5 kg this morning. That’s 3kg or over 6.5lb… having said that, if we just look at the 7-day rolling average, I’ve gone from just under 79 to about 80.5, which is over 3lb… and I’m feeling it!

You think I should fast for a couple of days, or should I just re-examine my eating habits?

(Doug) #57

Well, when I look in my crystal ball, I see the reflection of a guy who has 50 kg to lose yet, so my 2 cents’ worth may be a bit devalued here.:wink: I would try both. I’m wondering about how much is water weight - a 2 day fast would hopefully shine some light on things, there.

If you’ve indeed gained some pounds of fat - and you say you can feel it, then maybe it indeed is the eating past satiety that’s responsible. I’ve never really liked that concept, since mental satiation is part of it too. Yes, eating moderately (and then waiting 20 or so minutes as is often advised), may result in one eating less, but that really takes the fun out of things for me. I guess there’s a choice to be made, between the love of excess and unbridled limits, and what is the most healthy for us/that which will aid us in getting to our weight goals.

How about a few days of just meat and water?

Eating past satiety, it makes perfect sense you would gain weight no? I’m not sure where the confusion continues to lie. It’s the extra intake. People rebuke this concept but once your hormones are regulated you are left with a critical factor - energy intake. You sound very frustrated but also seem to be grasping at straws and not giving any real thought to the fact that calories do in fact matter.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #59

I’m not convinced. When I cut out sugar and starches a little over a year ago, I dropped 10 kg in the space of 3 months. I ate as much as I felt like eating. If anything, I’m better at noticing when my body is ready to stop eating now than I was then.

It makes very little sense that I’m gaining weight whilst following an even stricter diet than a year ago. I don’t eat fruit except for berries, for instance. Back then, I ate loads of almond butter; no more.

The only dietary sources I can think of that have changed in the past few weeks: I’ve eaten macadamias twice, I’ve had strawberries with heavy whipping cream 3 times, and I’ve been eating cheese and cream cheese.

I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing for another week and see what happens, and I’m actively reducing the aforementioned culprits in the meantime.

(Doug) #60

Rooting out the suspected culprits sounds good, Gabe. I think you’re running pretty efficiently, and where it can be frustrating to be trying to lose weight. I think @KetoLikeaLady - Andrea - is there too.

Calories In Calories Out - a lot of us do want to entirely discard this, but I think @turbeville has a point. Hormonal readjustments for the better give many of us a big boost in the beginning, but there’s no real ‘magic’ going on - the “calories out” side is still there, a combination of using them for energy, storing them away, or excreting them.