The "Healthyvend" machine at a clinic I saw today

(Tom) #1

:rage:

(Cathy Schroder) #2

Unbelievable!

What about this vending machineā€¦

Unbelievable. Except, sadly, it is believable.

(Cathy Schroder) #5

Itā€™s heartbreaking.

Not sure whether to laugh, cry or just roll my eyes with all the grace and vigour of a 13 year old.

(Arlene) #7

Yes, this is heartbreaking. I see no difference between this clinic offering this garbage, and hospitals, nation-wide serving garbage meals to sick patients, and doing this because it is the required protocol for public health. Now THATā€™S heartbreaking! Is it any wonder so many people believe these foods are healthy?

(Todd Allen) #8

I had surgery a few months ago at the University of Chicago hospital. They insisted on putting me on a dextrose IV even though I had fasted for over a week and had high ketones. Coming out of surgery they put me in the ICU because my body temp was a little low, kept me on the damn IV and then offered me a choice of apple juice, jello, sherbet or a candy bar. I politely refused anything and they brought me a tray with all 4 items. After a few hours a nurse came by and said it was important I eat something because my temp was still low. I agreed, said I was ravenous but that I only eat food not garbage. 8 hours later a doctor cleared me to eat meals and they gave me their ā€œHeart healthy menuā€ covered with lots of little red heart stickers. It was several pages long and they were so proud of it they devoted much of a page to describe how it was crafted by their team of nutritionists and complied with guidelines of the AHA. Page after page of waffles, pancakes, bread, cookies, nonfat yogurt, fat free milk and even chips and candy. Almost every item marked as ā€œLow Fat!ā€. I ordered from the ala cart items and chose 3 of the hard boiled egg which didnā€™t have a heart sticker and butter from the condiments page. I received margarine and the eggs were amazingly overcooked, dark green, stinky and I spit out the one bite I foolishly took. Several people came by to express concern and encourage me to eat and they continued to leave me candy bars and juice the next day. I stressed I wasnā€™t sick, my appetite was fine, I was desperate to eat but my health is too important to me to eat their food and that I would eat when they would release me. It was a struggle not to cry in anger and I was fairly certain if I expressed any of the emotion I was feeling Iā€™d be put in the mental ward in a rubber suit. Fortunately, I had learned about mindful meditation and had been practicing it as a way to get through the days prior to surgery when I was stuck in bed and I continued to focus on breathing and acceptance until I was released.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

Oy.

(Keto in Katy) #10

You see if you get a little of the Doritos food group and some of the Reeseā€™s food group then you have a balanced diet and itā€™s also low fat so you donā€™t get fat. America!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

I had a college friend who insisted that his daily Little Debbie addiction was offset by his Diet Coke addiction so each one would cancel the other out. Not sure if he graduatedā€¦

(Arlene) #12

This is a lesson to all of us to avoid surgery, unless absolutely necessary. Not that I needed any ā€œlessonā€ to help me with that decision. I am truly sad you had to endure that from the very people who were supposed to be caring for you. Sadly, they thought they WERE caring for you, though I donā€™t see how. You are much stronger than I. I would have been openly and loudly outspoken about my rights. Iā€™ll bet you were so thankful when you were finally released from there.

(Todd Allen) #13

I was very glad to get out of there but also glad I was able to have the surgery. I had a hernia that had descended into my scrotum that made anything but laying on my back in a certain position nearly unbearable. I imagine for most of human history and even today in some parts of the world it would have lead to a miserable death. I was put to sleep for a couple hours and woke up completely fixed with fairly minor surgical wounds that only took a couple weeks to heal. The bills are still coming in and the total cost is crazy but everything considered I feel lucky for my circumstances.

(Arlene) #14

Yikes, that would have been horrible without surgery. The medical bills are something else, altogether. Something is VERY wrong with the cost of a short hospital stay, very wrong. You either have to be very rich or very poor, otherwise you will be paying for your short hospital stay for a long time, and thatā€™s WITH the help of insurance. My husband went to the emergency room for a rapid heartbeat issue that turned out to be harmless, however the overnight stay cost us $10,000.00, and that was AFTER insurance paid their part. There is something VERY wrong with the cost of health care.

(Leslie) #15

Oh yea our vending machines at the hospital where I work are outside of the Surgery pre-op area.

Theyā€™re mostly for people waiting on family having procedures done-- many surgical procedures require fasting as preop measures.