The fallacy of pseudo-significant numbers

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #21

This is an excellent, meaningful goal. I can relate.

I want to be comfortable in real life situations, like choosing a seat in a public place or buying clothes off the rack in a place that doesn’t have an “X” in its name.

(Central Florida Bob ) #22

I think Dogbert has talked about “big round numbers” - you have to say that in an ominous, spooky sounding voice. It’s so big… and so round

The obsession with these numbers is everywhere. Every runner knows about running marathons, 26.2 miles. What’s so special about that besides the mindset? Just that it’s a standard. Is running 26.5 that different? Running 26? Same with riding a century on a bike: it’s 100 miles. A big, round number. If you live in the rest of the world, you ride 100 km, 62.1 miles. Just because it’s a big, round number.

Not that I don’t do it, too. Not that I’m not delighted every time I see the scale under 200, just because it’s a big, round number that means a lot to me. Every five pounds is another marker.

(Brian) #23

I’m about 9 pounds from that myself. And it’s taking it’s dear sweet time about getting here. I’ve already lost about 70 pounds so I can’t really complain. And less than 25 away from my goal weight isn’t so bad either.

(Bob M) #24

Well, I was under “obese” while doing a lot of fasting and right before shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. After surgery, I also got under “obese”, again because of fasting. When I finally was allowed to lift weights again, my weight ballooned according to the scale. I then realized I lost a ton of muscle mass before surgery (only doing aerobics, couldn’t lift my arms without pain) and after surgery (you have one arm in a sling for 4 weeks, then aren’t allowed to lift more than a coffee cup for months…). So, I was losing weight according to the scale…because I was losing muscle mass. I then gained weight according to the scale, because I was (re)gaining muscle mass. I look and feel much better now, with more muscle mass, but my weight is still above “obese”.

Mentally, I know that scale weight is a poor marker for health and BMI even less so, but I just want to be “over weight” at the doctor’s office.

(Doug) #25

Right on, Bob. For better or worse, that “1” is a big deal. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: