The 3 variables to weight loss/gain

(TJ Borden) #162

My last post was flagged? How was it inappropriate or offensive? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #163

It wasn’t. That doesn’t stop stuff getting flagged #becausepeople

(Bill C) #164

I’ll inquire. Thanks

(Bill C) #165

Here is an excellent article for those who are looking to trim body fat. The problem is #3 and #4 can sometimes be tough to combine, since high fiber can equate to increased carbs. But it is doable. One of the things I do is always have a batch of homemade soup, split pea or bean, with lots of vegetables incorporated on hand. One bowl gives you just about all the fiber you need for the day.

(TJ Borden) #166

There was talk earlier about liking what Dr Fung had to say and I stumbled across this. I thought the people on this thread might find this video interesting…no one in particular…just everyone in general:

(Running from stupidity) #167

That is a really well-produced video. Hats off to those who made it.

(Bill C) #168

I think people want to simplify the CICO discussion by making it black and white. First, to be clear, calories do matter. You may not wish to count calories with the thought that the scale or my belt is a better indicator of whether my diet, what I am eating, is effective. And this is true. One can approach their diet in this way. But for many, knowing exactly what they are consuming is a more effective way for them to lose weight, with the idea being how do I know whether I should eat X or not, since I don’t know what I have consumed or burned today.

It would appear those who are obese and have had a lifelong struggle with their weight would rather use a non-specific approach. Why? Because it gives them leeway to eat what they want, when they want. However, this site is not set up exclusively for those who are or have been obese. It is also set up for those who wish to share how they can take off the additional 10 or 20 lbs. to get into excellent shape. Some of those people want to know what they are consuming so they know how they can reach their goal.

Though Fung is arguing you cannot simply measure calories and know that you will lose X amount of weight, what he is not saying is that calories are irrelevant. We all know, regardless of the diet plan we are following, if we are eating more calories than we are burning we will never lose weight. NEVER.

We are not talking about people with hormonal imbalances, T2D or those with epilepsy. That is another discussion altogether. So, a healthy, though perhaps somewhat overweight, person can count and measure calories and know very precisely what they can eat and when they will be able to achieve their goal of losing so many pounds. The fact that one cannot exactly measure what those calories are doing in your body does not invalidate the tracking of calories. It simply means one may not arrive at their goal precisely when they think they will. It may be sooner, it may be later, but you will have a good idea as to when you will arrive at it.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the keto diet for those who do not have significant weight issues, is that it provides greater satiety and keeps insulin levels lower than other diets. People don’t feel they are having to starve themselves and they are experiencing less inflammation. So they are better able to stick to the diet and feel better in the process.

But to simply say calories don’t matter is erroneous thinking.

(TJ Borden) #169

I had another random thought, for no particular reason…

I’ve heard some make the statement:

But to simply say calories don’t matter is erroneous thinking

… that is totally correct, and I’ve never heard anyone on this forum say calories don’t matter, just that you don’t need to count them. Anyway, just a thought… not directed at anyone in particular…

Unless a certain someone is ready to be friends???

(KetoQ) #170

Baytowvin, you’re a funny guy!

(TJ Borden) #171

One of the greatest movies EVER :+1:

(Running from stupidity) #172

Oh look, my likes have refreshed.

(bulkbiker) #173

I think you mean that YOU aren’t talking from that position… a whole lot of us are here because of those exact reasons…

(Jane) #174

I used a SPECIFIC approach by diligently counting calories and tracking every bite I ate. Never felt like I had leeway to eat whatever I wanted. But was still overweight. Eating half what I ate in my 20’s.

Now I don’t track anything, am a normal weight wearing normal size clothes and it is effortless. I love keto and I love not have to track or count anything.

(Jane) #175

I don’t count carbs anymore because I only eat incidental ones unless consciously enjoying a higher carb meal. I go right back to very low carb so it doesn’t cause weight gain.

(Bill C) #176

I usually don’t count carbs or calories. I only do it when I am seeking to achieve an immediate goal. Otherwise it is too tedious. But sometimes I feel it is necessary for me to stay motivated.

(Jane) #177

How is your goal to a ripped ab going so far?

(Bill C) #178

And I was a total pig today. 195 grams of protein, 115g of fat and 224g of carbs. But I was still able to come in -1370 on the calorie count. What can I say? Sometimes you need to binge. Had I not burned the 1765 calories swimming and on the Precor I would have exceeded my allotment. It happens.

(Bill C) #179

Surprisingly well. But it has not been a straight line by any means. Was stuck at 189 for several days. Then, for whatever reason, over the last four days I dropped and am now at 184.4. So even though it has been up and down, overall right on target. I have dropped just under 13 lbs. in 24 days and am shooting to drop another 12 in the next 16 days. Don’t think I will do it. I think it is going to take more like another 24 days, based on what has happened to date. But all in all I can’t complain. Target 172 will be tough.

(TJ Borden) #180

I know, I said I’d leave you alone…

But WTF???:flushed:

You’ve been arguing it’s importance this whole thread.

(Bill C) #181

Hope this doesn’t violate any rules. But as you can see, the weight is coming off. I am not holding in my stomach because I want to see what my real progress is. I look thin from the front but not so much from the side. When I look in the mirror it is hard for me to believe I am still at 22%BF. But it is what it is. Scales don’t lie.