The 3 variables to weight loss/gain

(Running from stupidity) #141

Non-graphichy science :slight_smile:

(Bill C) #142

I think you are reading into my posts what you want to read into them, not what they say. At no point did I say it is not working. I said I have hit a stall, which you state yourself has happened to you. Yet you still say it works. I think my approach is working as well.

You say you have lost about 60 lbs in the past year. Congratulations! That is great. But your starting point was between 500 and 475 lbs. My starting weight was 197. I am now at 187 and have been as low as 182 and that is after only 3 weeks. I know exactly what I am consuming. You have no idea what your caloric intake is, only that “it is working.” 60 lbs in about a year from a much higher starting point vs 10 lbs in 3 weeks does not equate to your strategy working and mine as failing, not by a long shot. Also, as you may have forgotten I have stayed in ketosis, despite the fact that I have consumed more carbs.

All I can conclude from the personal information you have presented is that you have lost weight. Neither you nor I have any idea how many calories you have consumed since you state sometimes you fast for long periods of time and keep no record of your caloric intake. People who are overweight have gone for months without eating. One man even went for over a year without eating anything. So, your experience is going to be significantly different from mine.

I also find it odd that several people who have told me my approach, keeping data on CICO, is all wrong, that I haven’t a clue, then refer me to links to people who have kept detailed logs on how they have lost weight. Why would you refer me to someone who has kept meticulous records to support your thesis when you yourself tell me keeping records is meaningless?

Lastly, you and I have gone around the same tree several times now. It is redundant. Therefore, Lucy, Charlie Brown no longer wishes to kick the football. But thanks for your input.

(TJ Borden) #143

There’s a difference between tracking what you eat and counting calories for the purpose of caloric restriction. Look back over the thread and you’ll find MANY people echoing the same sentiment. They just moved on because they have better things to do, I clearly don’t.

Why do you get to be Charlie Brown? :joy: oh well, I was hoping we could be friends and continue to discourse, since this is a forum…called discourse.

So long as you don’t peddle your CICO dogma on newbies coming to this forum to learn how a ketogenic way of eating works, I’ll leave you alone. Best of luck to you.

(Bill C) #144

Thanks

(Debi) #145

You get a blood test to test you liver enzyme levels. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #146

Those tests are on every standard lipid panel I’ve ever had done. If you’ve ever had blood work check the results and they should be there. Even for a well-visit physical.

(Bill C) #147

Ok, I just had a blood test done so I’ll check.

You’re very welcome!

It’s just basic physiology. Healthy female bodies range between 45%-60% water, a HUGE range. And the earth itself is 70% water. And both the earth and our bodies are affected by the lunar cycles and its ebbs/flows/tides and ch ch ch ch changes!

The interrelationship between lymphatics and adipose tissue is quite magnificent. The anatomical proximity and interaction of lymphatic structures and body fat was studied by Natasha Harvey and is reported in the Annals of NY Academy of Sciences in 2008 “The link between lymphatic function and adipose biology" and can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18519961

This is a good short video on the fat cells/water thing by Nurse Cindy - and if you use the forum search bar there are some interesting past posts on swooshes, lymphatic system, fat cells -

Basic physiology and cellular biology - and it’s both empirical observation and intuitive logic. :rofl:

Our bodies are around 60% water, the earth is 70% water.

According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even the bones are watery: 31%.

Water is vital nutrient to the life of every cell, acts first as a building material.

Different people have different percentages of their bodies made up of water. Babies have the most, being born at about 78%. By one year of age, that amount drops to about 65%. In adults, males have 60% and healthy females range from 45%-60%.

Fat is more dense than water, that has something to do w/it. And there are a few interesting past posts around here discussing squishiness.

The interrelationship between lymphatics and adipose tissue is quite magnificent. The anatomical proximity and interaction of lymphatic structures and body fat was studied by Natasha Harvey and is reported in the Annals of NY Academy of Sciences in 2008 “The link between lymphatic function and adipose biology" and can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18519961

I also really like how Nurse Cindy explains it!

(Bill C) #150

Fascinating. Makes sense. Has anyone seen Volek or Phinney or any of the more prominent faces in keto present this in a lecture? If so, I would love to see it. Thank you.

(Debi) #151

That was a FAb video!! Thanks for takingthe time to share it with me :slight_smile:

(Bill C) #152

Could they be listed by another name? I don’t see AST or ALT shown on my blood results.

(Edith) #154

What a great little video! Nurse Cindy is terrific!

(Jane) #155

Not addressed to me but I am surprised they don’t show up on your normal labs. They have always been on mine whether OSHA required physicial or annual physical in Texas or Arkansas. And the OSHA was required and the annual one carried a $500 incentive deposit into my HSA account or I wouldn’t do them.

I don’t take any meds and have no need for annual physicals. I’ll go to the doc when I need to thankyouverymuch. But not turning down $500 to get free blood work and poked on LOL.

(Jane) #156

This was 3 years ago but typical of where you will find it on a typical lipid panel.

(Debi) #157

I think it depends…when I first went to my dr she ordered a blood work up and made sure they would be listed. So perhaps it might not be standard everywhere. I had been complaining to Drs for years that I ate well and couldnt lose weight, she was the first one to suggest a liver panel to see if that might be the reason I couldnt drop weight at the time. I had blood work previously and Drs never mentioned fatty liver…so they must not have tested. THis was about 10 years ago now…so maybe it is standard now? No clue. My new Dr will test anythign I ask…which is great :slight_smile:

(Consensus is Politics) #158

IMHO, calories in calories out is completely arbitrary.

Anyone that stays it’s all physics, “law of thermodynamics” doesn’t know what they are talking about, and is borderline moronic. I don’t mean to be a name caller, but to declare something, and then use a science you (the nebulous ‘you’ not you Baytovin :cowboy_hat_face:) know nothing about or obviously haven’t studied ( or just read into it) is beggin to be called an idiot.

/soapbox off

(TJ Borden) #159

I swear @gitanacv, I didn’t put him up to this. :worried:

Even if we share the same opinion.

(Bill C) #160

Here is a video that addresses two different approaches to dieting. One is called the ambiguous approach, the other the specific approach, whether you are using keto or otherwise. I choose to use the latter. There is very good information that can help each person reach their goals.

(Bill C) #161

Mine does not show the ALT or AST so I will check with the doc. Thanks.