Thank You, But I Can Order My Own Meal!

(Casey Crisler) #21

“ But would you make wine suggestions to a sommelier? Or suggestions to a regular upon the first time visiting a restaurant?
It is not intentionally rude, but it is thoughtlessness disguised as thoughtfulness.”

I wouldn’t make a wine suggestion to anyone since I don’t drink and hate wine. That was just an example. And I have no idea what a sommelier is. Nor do I see any rudeness in the suggestions. In fact, I appreciate they’re thinking about me. Seems people are thin skinned and just looking to be offended.

(Vladaar Malane) #22

I try to avoid eating with co-workers, but sometimes you get stuck where they all want to go to a pizza joint, or subway type of deal then it’s hard not to look odd in their eyes, when I say no bun or no thanks to the pizza I’ll take that nasty looking salad instead.with no croutons. LoL.

Family, that’s odd I don’t have any problems with them. Good Luck there.

Exactly!

(Laurie) #24

I’m very interested in personality types, and it’s given me a new perspective on this kind of thing. Some people value emotional decisions and/or social connection, while others value independence and/or logical thinking. The former type of person used to drive me crazy. I used to take their interference and blather as personal attacks or deliberate attempts to waste my time. Now I can say, “Oh, they’re just being themselves. Next!”

@Vladaar_Malane, I don’t know whether they have salads at your subway. When I go there I order a meatball salad with cheese. The people around me always say it looks wonderful, they never thought of it, they wish they’d ordered that instead. (Yes, the meatballs have filler, but I figure it won’t kill me.) Of course you can also order a roast beef salad or a salami salad, but the hot meatballs-cold salad combination is really nice. The same goes for cheeseburger salad, etc., at other places.

(Anne Brodie) #25

YES! I have had this several times. I have started paying more attention to when and how it seems to happen to try and reduce. In all cases I believe the people were trying to do “good” as others say, but it is annoying. My general conclusion is that it makes the other people uncomfortable that I maintain my stated eating plan. While I am no longer uncomfortable with bread on the table and such, the others are. I imagine they feel sort of guilty eating in front of me and/or not eating as I do. Often they will say things about how they should be doing what I’m doing but can’t because of whatever reason. Holidays are coming up, they have kids, hypoglycemia or whatever. Earlier today we had an office potluck and twice people reached for cookies and commented to me about me. One said she needed to follow my example after the holidays. The other actually apologized. I think I said something like “That’s okay. I’ve had what I want to eat and so should you.” Depending on the situation, I’ve started saying something similar to… “now that I’ve been doing this for many months, I enjoy being able to go out and socialize with people and not have it be an issue. The best thing for me is if people don’t make a big deal out of it.”

Recently I went on vacation and visited with several family members. I purposely chose not to mention keto or diet or eating at all. But one person found it important to tell all the rest and then every time we were out they all talked about my food. Exactly like you said, they would look at the menu and say “Oh look! You could have the salad!” (with lettuce, tomatoes, cranberries, sugared pecans, and tortilla strips). Or “they have broccoli you can swap out for fries!” All of them proceeding to order high-carb options, although that wouldn’t matter.

I am not complaining about intentions. I am 1) interested in human behavior and psychology, and 2) working to come up with responses I feel the best about. I’m on the spot when this happens because I feel I need to either thank them, deflate them (yes, I see it in their reaction) by explaining why that isn’t a good choice for me, or basically say mind your own business. This is WAY more uncomfortable than the food temptations.

One thing that has helped in social food situations is limiting the special orders to only as much as is needed. For example, I went to lunch yesterday and ordered the bacon cheeseburger and there were no side options I would eat. Rather than ask for no bun and no fries I simply ordered like anyone else and didn’t eat them. It is wasteful, but I and my lunch partner were more comfortable with my “normal” filled plate and I just ate the parts I wanted and left the rest.

This has come up a lot for me and I am pleased to hear someone else sharing about similar challenges.

(Running from stupidity) #26

My default is to take no real notice of what people say, so that stops pretty much everything being an issue.

Also, not eating out really helps :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #27

I’m not very creative but thanks for the link:

Good strategy!

(Carl Keller) #29

Maybe they are just worried that you won’t find something keto-friendly to eat? If i go out to eat with someone, I would feel bad if they couldn’t find something they liked or catered to their WOE, especially if I picked the place.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #30

I can see where he’s coming from if you replace the idea with, I am obese and on a diet and people are making condescending remarks about what you should order or avoid. Like he’s not smart enough to figure out what is right for himself. It implies that they don’t believe in your ability to have self control or make intelligent choices on some level. People sometimes don’t even know where they’re coming from when they say things, the sub conscience puts stuff in your mouth. Sometimes my filter is not working :cowboy_hat_face:

(I’m not implying you are obese, just a similar diet choice situation)

(John) #31

I, too, have been studying the humans for the past 60 years and still try to figure out how to respond to them sometimes.

They are apparently a species of very social ape. When one ape doesn’t conform to the tribal norms, it makes them uneasy in some way and they have to figure out how to address the situation in a way that reduces their unease. It really has nothing to do with you and your food needs, but with their own needs to address this unusual situation they find themselves in.

I follow the @juice method myself, laid out eloquently below:

(Anne Brodie) #32

Agreed!

(Troy) #33

Yup
Just 1 hour ago @Dave-in-Utah
“ You look like you just got off the boat. You need to eat more”
:rage:

My trigger “ almost “ pulled. Held back
Wanted to say
“ ok. You can stay on your boat - The Titanic then. And continue to rearrange the deck chairs ( SAD ) or your carbage …it’s not going help. You will still sink “
Ouch
Yikes😂

Leave me alone

(Neal Perkins) #34

You’re probably saving a ton on Christmas presents too!:wink:

(Mike) #35

Lighten up. Sounds to me like they’re both trying to be helpful and supportive. Your comment about their “carby” choices indicates to me that maybe you’re more offended by what they chose to eat, and the fact they didn’t spend the time you did to research. Live and let live, my friend. Be glad they care enough about what you’re doing to make helpful suggestions. Don’t let your lifestyle choices become the wedge between you and others. No need to get upset when someone shows support- consider the alternative- they could have suggested you just eat a “cheat meal”, but they didn’t. And maybe don’t be that person who becomes a little bitch every time you get your feelings hurt because you’re too sensitive … and over nothing. Or … keep eating alone since your attitude has the potential to drive others away.