Testing Question

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #1

Just curious…

So, say I eat at 8:40 and then have something else an hour later. If I want to see the impact of the food, do I test based on the first or second eating?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Depends on what you are trying to figure out. Really rigorous testing would be just before the first meal—tp establish a basline—then at 30 minutes, 60 (baseline for effect of second meal), 90, and 120. The pattern of glucose readings should tell you something useful. If you could measure ketones simultaneously, that would also be extremely useful.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

Yeah, I test both at the same time. I have trouble finding the patterns of what works and doesn’t based on what I eat. I can’t seem to establish any meaningful patterns.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Just saw your reply, sorry. If you can’t find a meaningful pattern, then I’d say that the food in question has a neutral effect and you don’t need to worry about it.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

I’m hoping to get better answers now that I have a FreeStyle Libre. I’m still going to also do finger sticks for the next day or so, while I check things against the sensor.

(Ann) #6

Can someone recommend a ketone test brand?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

For the price, lots of people like KetoMojo (you can use the meter to do both glucose and ketones, but you need both types of strips).

Others, like me, use the PrecisionXtra.

(Jennifer ) #8

I use the Keto-Mojo. I actually chose it for the price of the strips. I think it’s the best deal at Ketone strips at $1 for life if you buy the meter. It also claims to be the most accurate, but it’s hard to know that. Only way I can think of is to take it with you when you have your next labs done and test while you’re sittin’ in the chair and compare. The phlebotomist prolly doesn’t have the means to test at that moment, but when you get the results, you can compare.

~K-Bombs

(Jennifer ) #9

I think the hard line for PC (after a meal) testing is after you’ve finished eating. No more calories until you test. 1 Hr., 2 Hr., 3 Hr. It’s important to make sure you’ve taken in zero calories. No tea. No milk. No gum. LOL But that’s hard core and I don’t do those tests often. I’ll test after I’m done eating breakfast sometimes but I’ll also be drinkin’ herbal tea and Green Tea and Tom DeLauer’s “Good Gut Drink” (fancy water with ACV in it).

And I’ve heard the best time of day to test if you’re going to test only once a day to get a general feel for how you’re doing is AC right before dinner and after all your energy for the day has mostly been spent.

Interestingly, I tested when I felt super crappy - like I was almost in an Insulin Coma - and my Glucose and Ketones were normal. What does that tell you?

(Joey) #10

+1 for Keto-Mojo price-wise. I find functionality to be excellent.