Testing ketones

(Laurie Ann Murabito) #1

How did you test for keystones? I’m at the end of day 3.

Thank you,

LA

Keto Flu-Experiences? Potassium?
(Alex Peralta) #2

The cheap inaccurate way is to use ketone test strips. You can get those at a pharmacy. They test for excess ketones that are being spilled into your urine. Those only work for so long. As your body adapts it becomes more efficient and you wont see the excess. You can also get a meter but as I understand they are expensive to use. That actually measures a number in your blood which gives you a more accurate results.

(Sophie) #3

I’m seriously considering a meter. I do the strips but have noticed fluctuations depending on time of day and the amount of hydration I may or may not have. What I want to know about the meters is do I have to prick the tips of my fingers for the blood sample?! I really really hate that. Can a sample be done from the arm or back of the hand or leg or someplace else? What’s the purpose of the fingertip?

(Alex Peralta) #4

If anything like the blood glucose ones, you need a certain amount of blood if not it errors out. Finger tip will give a good size drop from a very small cut from the lancet. You don’t want to not get enough and waste a test strip. I can’t speak from experience though. I’ve only ever used finger tips.

I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands and can not do fingers to draw blood as it is terribly painful.- so have a lancet with an alternative site head which I use quite pain free on the outside of my forearm alternating arm by arm every week which gives it time to heal.
You rub the skin vigorously to bring the blood to the surface and release the lancet - this raises enough blood to test both Ketones and / or Blood glucose, the glucose meter needing far less to activate it than the Ketone meter - but it is important that it is whole blood and not plasma - you have to be quick and practise helps.
Testing times are also Important I have a Morning Bloom and do Ketones first once daily as I am adapting to Fat but I also check BG at the same time to ensure I stay in range and not go way high as of late.

I also see a fall in BG throughout the day especially when fasting.
My rule is simple = If my 7 day BG average is higher than todays reading I can eat today.
If not I wait sometimes a few days to eat = until my daily BG is lower than the daily average.

I should add I am a long term T2 diabetic (27 years) Had 38.4 mmol/l 700mg/dl when diagnosed.
I was on Insulin but have weaned my self off of it and now do not have that pleasure.
I am 70 years old and weigh 96,8kg (from 125kg last year) I started Keto in November last year and had the usual plateau but once again have begun to slowly advance to my target weight.

There have been so many changes = that life is once again just plain enjoyable.
I haven’t reached my goal of reversing Diabetes yet but I am well on the way… KCKO

If all you want/need is to confirm whether or not you’re in ketosis, a super cheap low quality alcohol breathalyser will give a positive reading from breath ketones. You can buy them on ebay or amazon.

(Christy Moreno) #7

I use a blood meter- NovaMax. It comes with free strips but gets really expensive. +$1 per strip.

(Ben) #8

(Travis Harris) #9

Do you happen to have a link for such a device?

This is similar to the one I’ve got - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201734619381?_mwBanner=1

A quick google should bring back similar devices in your region.

(Allan Misner) #11

I’m a full on nerd with stuff like this. As I will cycle in and out of keto for various reason, I have developed a process.

Starting around day three, I’ll begin using the urine strips. Once these confirm that I’m in ketosis, I may continue to use them for the few days.

After a week, I notice the strips show fewer ketones (now my body is beginning to use them and not pee them out). So, I’ll start using the blood meter. I’ll use the blood meter about once a week. And in the interim, I’ll use the ketonix. I’ve found that if my ketones dip low, the ketonix will show me out of ketosis. When I get a low reading with the ketonix, I’ll use the blood meter, usually finding I’m in the .5 - .7 range.

After about a month in ketosis, I put all my toys away and just enjoy life.

(Katie) #12

Are the lancets reusable?

(Carl Ockwell) #13

Yes they are if you are using them for yourself. Don’t share.