Test strip toggling

newbies

(Trisha Maroni) #1

I started five weeks ago and in the beginning I tested for ketones on the urine test strips within the first three days which was great, that was so easy! Well cut to a week ago I got bumped out of Ketosis (I identified the culprit as an over indulgence of keto friendly ice cream), now I expected set backs but it’s been a week of keeping my carbs very low and I keep testing negative. Everything else feels pretty effortless, I’m losing weight at a faster rate than expected and I’m never hungry even with the IF. So my question would be has anyone had test strips stop working properly pretty rapidly, as in within a month.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Don’t worry about it. Stay sub-20 grams of carbs per day and you’ll be fine. The urine test strips measure ketones (acetoacetate specifically) dumped in urine as ‘excess’. Any number of things can affect the quantity of ‘excess’ ketones detected in your urine test. It is a good lesson to learn, though. Seeming innocuous carb intake can have more consequences than you think.

Throw away those ketostix. They’re next to worthless for verifying nutritional ketosis:

(mole person) #4

It takes me about a week after I get well and truly knocked out to show ketones again on the strips. I know some people don’t like them, but for others they never stop working and are a great easy test. I’ve been using them for almost three years and they still tell me what I need to know.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I read this somewhere and find it both funny and useful. I love to quote it.

How to tell if you are in ketosis:

1. Are you eating less than 20 g of carbohydrate a day?
  2. Are you breathing in and out?

If you can answer yes to both these questions, you are in ketosis!

(Trisha Maroni) #6

I was considering buying new Ketostix to see if these were somehow defective but I’d rather not waste the money. I’m just going to focus on the food. Thanks for the help!