Test strip blues!

(Mike list) #1

I got the urine test strips today just to see how everything was going and i only have Trace amounts of Ketones in my urine. Am I doing something wrong or is that a good sign. I have been at or under 20 grams of net carbs and my protein isnt too high…Help me Keto Fam!!!

(jilliangordona) #2

How long have you been keto? Test strips are famously unreliable for some. I suggest getting a blood meter or breath meter

(Mike list) #3

I am on day 16 did i test too early?

(Andrew) #4

That’s a positive result. While faster for 4 days, and blood ketones over 4, my strips barely changed color. They are really only good for yeay/neay.

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

Pee strips are only good for throwing in the garbage can.

Test in the evening to see the highest levels of ketones on the urine strips, they are always lower in the morning.

If you have been <40g net carb for 16 days then you should be in ketosis, if not then re-study all of your intake as carbs might be coming into your consumption.

(Mike list) #7

I just did a retest and I am between moderate and heavy so that’s a good sign right. I’m ordering the breath meter this weekend because I’m not doing blood… I don’t do needles!

Go with carbs, not net. And how long have you been in the game? Be realistic with urine strips though, they suck. They’re good to see that your making ketones but they become unreliable very quickly for most people. If you want real numbers you gotta test blood. With that said, the takeaway is that you DO have ketones present, so that’s what to focus on, not the number the strips claim. I’ve been eating this way for years and Trace-Small is all I typically ever show with those, and I’ve lost around 100lbs so don’t brainwash yourself with those thing. Even with blood testing I only average .4-1.2 on both extremes which is good but still low compared with many others, doesn’t matter.

(Mike list) #9

I’ve been Keto for 16 days and I only got them to see if I was making Ketones which I guess I am now. I feel amazing and sharp so I know that’s working! My knee which is effectively 20 % disabled doesn’t hurt nearly as bad as it used too. So I am going at it wrong with net carbs damn!

There’s always back and forth on that one, YMMV but going with actual tends to work out better for many. Many things have high actual counts and they’re net’d down to almost nothing but those things can affect us other ways besides blood sugar.

(Mike list) #11

Then I’m going to use Carbs not net anymore I guess

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

When I first started the only time the strips showed me in purple or anything near it was when I got sick and got dehydrated for a couple of days. I think the strips are worthless. Try using a breath or blood tester. There is a long thread on the forums about the cheap breathalyzers and how to use them, etc. I found my Greenwon to be a good indicator if I was in or out of ketosis.