Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(Mel Fischer) #567

I don’t need help Dan. Simply posted to say I am using the device and getting results!

(Dan Dan) #568

ok I misunderstood and thought you needed help

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Dan Dan) #569

I read some of your posts and you are a power lifter and 8% bodyfat am I correct?

Have you tried the “Fog the window” method I get good readīngs with.

Im at about 10 to 12% body fat now, and no i didnt try that, can you tell me more about this method?
Thank you for your answer.

(Dan Dan) #571

It’s in the research I posted earlier :grinning:

Hold your breath at the ‘50 count down’ then at the beep ‘Blow like you are fogging a window/mirror’ (ha sound) :grin:

You mean like not puting the lips on the device itself or?
Ill def try it, thank you very much.

(Mel Fischer) #573

Hi Eileen,
I haven’t tried it on anyone not in ketosis yet, but I cheated over the weekend and it’s reading zero. You’ll want one for yourself, it’s addicting and motivational to take readings! I have found that when I’m deep in ketosis, the readings, with a hard deep blow, quickly read .13 consistently (morning, noon, evening). I’m excited for ya :slight_smile:

Keeping an eye on the mail awaiting my BAC’s! Thanks!

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #575

Just bought one, I like to keep a check on things occasionally so might be handy for a quick conformation after suspect coffee from a chain or takeaway, rarely eat out much now though.
\v/

Tanita body fat monitor/scale and Greenwon keychain BAC arrived from Amazon just before supper.
Feels like Christmas!
Greenwon gave me a 0.02 % BAC & 0.2 g/l consistently.
Tested on my son and his results were 0.
Will track daily for trends to observe - what does and doesn’t work for me.

Started “Keto” 2 months ago after being Paleo for a few years, however, blew it up over Christmas by eating carbs and got sick.
Learned more specifics about true Keto physiologic responses to diet.
Started using Cronometer to track my diet (to 0.5 ounces).
Now making measurable and observable progress.
I’m encouraged! :crazy_face:

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #577

My AT60000 arrived from eBay this morning. Did blood ketones 3. 1, tested breath at 0.3, three times in a row after reset.
15 net carbs yesterday evening omad.
Not quite sure if I trust it I need to drop out of ketosis to see if it returns zero for me I suppose. Although I could try my wife, but she likes a wine of an evening. Will see how it goes I suppose.
Edit, wife blew a zero even after a Stout and wine last night.
\v/

Having fun with my new BAC.
GREENWON keychain was 0.06% consistently this morning and 0.05% this evening.
I got 0.07, 0.05, 0.06% this afternoon so I’m ditching these results.
I’ve done 3 tests at least 3 mins apart.
I’m practicing until I can exhale like “fogging up a window.” … like Dan suggested.
Thanks for this informative thread.

Hi Dan,
Just want to make sure I am interpreting my GREENWON keychain BAC correctly measuring acetone for indirect ketone burn:

0.05% = 0.5 g/L = 50 mg/dL = 8.6 mM or mmol/L

I used endmemo.com for acetone unit conversion: http://www.endmemo.com/medical/unitconvert/Acetone.php

Is this correct?
I have seen folks posting numbers without units of measure and so I am trying to get a handle on the different results. What is the optimal range for ketosis while attempting to transition into keto adapted over the next few months? I am not in a hurry to get there as I enjoy learning as I progress.

Thanks for any input from anyone else too who has understanding and experience transitioning. :slight_smile:
I am not a body builder, nor overweight. I am doing keto for the antiinflammatory, pro-immunogenic properties attained.

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #580

I’m not convinced that there is a direct correlation on these cheaper breathalysers.
Yesterday, I measured 0. 04 with 3. 1 blood measured ketones. (15 net carbs, day before for me)
Today, blood ketone measured 1.3 but I blew 0.04 (25 net carbs day before)
Same 0800 time, 22 hour fast, before any water.
I’m intending to use the blower as a quick check, should I think Im out of ketosis for any reason in the future. There will a time at some point, at that time I can check when Im back in but I usually know by how I feel but the conformation would be good to have, for me anyway.
\v/

Unfortunately you cannot convert the readings from alcohol detectors (unless you know the exact specification of the sensor in it). Breathalysers typically measure the current (but some measure the potential) produced in ethanol oxidation reaction and then recalculate the current into % based on the reaction stochiometry, and sometimes kinetics.
If you don’t know how exactly the sensor responds to acetone (reaction kinetics may be completely different than for ethanol) than you cannot use those numbers with any certainly. So, it could give you an indication that you are in ketosis, but don’t rely on the values. The response function of the sensor may be non-linear and temperature dependent (with different slope for ethanol).

Excellent reply Tomo! Thank you.
Therefore, if I am getting anything besides 0 with my cheap breathalizer, I am in the right place,
correct?

Very likely yes, although other gases may interfere (ethanol obviously). But keep in mind that just because it shows zero doesn’t mean in you are not in ketosis. I don’t know what the lower detection limit of acetone is for your device (below this value it will show 0 even though there is some acetone), especially having in mind that it was not designed for acetone detection.

Thanks Vince! I’m going to use the BAC as evidence to what I am or am not doing from the days before to keep me in ketosis. It motivates me to keep on track. I am not aware enough yet to depend on how I feel, but that will come as I progress.

My first reading 3 days ago was 0.02%.
Yesterday, 0.06%.
Today 0.05%.
I have lost 3 lbs in the last 10 days and am down to 111 lbs.
No “keto flu” symptoms and my macros have been fat 65%, protein 20%, carbs 15%.
No alcohol.
No cravings except for salt every few days.

(Todd Allen) #587

I also have a keychain Greenwon. Here’s my typical results in testing mine against blood ketone strips. Note that because breath and blood are measuring different ketones the correlation is somewhat weak and likely to change somewhat over time probably with factors such as ones exercise volume, liver health, body fat %, etc.

0.00 or 0.01% BAC , below 0.3 mmol/L, ie neglible level of ketosis
0.02% BAC, 0.3 +/- 0.2 mmol/L
0.03% BAC, 0.5 +/- 0.2 mmol/L
0.04% BAC, 0.8 +/- 0.2 mmol/L
0.05% BAC, 1.2 +/- 0.3 mmol/L
0.10% BAC, 2.4 +/- 0.4 mmol/L
0.19% BAC, >5.0 mmol/L

So for me, 0.04% is my target and I’m mostly in the range 0.03-0.05% except when fasting and I go much higher. When low I get increasingly strict with carbs or will skip a meal. And when high I’ll have a piece of fruit or other limited indulgences.

I have two other meters both of which are less sensitive at low levels of ketones but ramp up faster at higher levels of ketones.