Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

I think your version is too high-end. I got this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wnnideo-Alcohol-Breath-Analyzer-Tester/dp/B01I2SFQMI/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514180320&sr=1-15&keywords=breathalyzer and it seems to work.

(Andrew) #547

Yeast makes acetone. Itā€™s in all non-distilled alcoholic bevs. Distillers usually remove most. At least the ones concerned about taste. Acetone is lighter and comes out before ethanol

$0.02

So, I got one of these and have been playing for the last month or so, getting from 110-150 or so.

What Iā€™ve noticed is that it seems to correlate with how much I ate yesterday, eat more, higher reading, except when fasting, when it also goes high.

Iā€™m wondering, seeing as itā€™s measuring a by-product of fat metabolism, is this actually a proxy for metabolic rate ? If so that could be very handyā€¦

Could anyone out there with the relevant data run an eye over it in this light and see if it holds for you ?

(Dan Dan) #549

Already done that in previous posts :grin:

People with higher NAD+ levels (an important coenzyme which declines with ageing[12]) and lower NADH levels are more likely to produce more breath acetone (which can be measured with the Ketonix) and fewer BHB ketones in the blood. Hence, higher consistent levels of breath acetone may be a more useful indicator than blood ketones that you are burning fat rather than just eating fat.[13]

ā€œMay the Force (fat adaption) be with youā€

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

Here are two of my goto guys on IF/EF Keto WOE :thinking:

Cool, and Iā€™ve already read that (useful) paper :slightly_smiling_face: but it doesnā€™t address what Iā€™m curious about.

Iā€™m making a different point I think, it is suggested on this board that metabolic rates are more variable than usually considered, and that eating more will cause oneā€™s metabolic rate (RMR,TDEE etc) to increase, presumably up to a limit. Measurement of this rate in a lab setting is usually acheived by measuring Oxygen in, Carbon Dioxide out (and often urine Nitrogen levels), Iā€™m wondering if, in the fat adapted, you can use breath acetone as a metabolic rate measure instead, at least for a ballpark, if youā€™ve already addressed that, sorry I missed it in the 544 posts up there.

This thread has been so helpful to me! I ordered the keychain style one for $5 on ebay. But during the wait, I decided I wanted to start using a glucose meter to measure my own carb sensitivity so I got the ketomojo. So far my readings and fasting state correlate pretty well with the breathalyzer. I got a low read this morning (0.01% BAC) so I tested my blood too, and it looks like Iā€™m just barely in ketosis (0.6). Iā€™ve ordered another to leave in my bag! I take a regular breath and just exhale into the meterā€¦ I notice that the more fasted I am, the faster it reads. Thanks, everyone!

(Todd Allen) #552

While metabolic rate might influence the reading I think it is a poor way to measure metabolic rate as other factors can drown out the metabolic rate effect. For example when one fasts the reading can climb quickly while metabolic rate is likely dropping. I think a better indicator of metabolic rate is tracking body temperature. All the energy your body is using ultimately ends up as heat. If your temperature falls you are using less energy.

(Brian Ernst) #553

Idk why your data seems different from others, but it is. Linear correlation seems too good to be true? If you multiply the BAC value by 50, you get the ppm result. If you multiply the BAC value by 12.5 you get the mmol/L. Iā€™ll keep those in mind for comparing my BAC results, thanks.

(Dan Dan) #554

I wish I was smart enough to claim it was my data but my research is based on the research of others way smarter than me as noted in my previous posts. I did find a correlation and put it in a format that was useful to those of us using the cheap breathalyzer :wink:

A few research papers and the Ketonix believe so :thinking:

ā€œMay the Force (fat adaption) be with youā€

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

Actually itā€™s my understanding, according to Fung, that metabolic rate does increase for the first few days of fasting, yup here we go http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1511.long.
While Iā€™m sure body temperature would be a useful metric, and Iā€™ll look to adding that into the mix, it would probably be more confounded due to active cooling i.e. sweat and variability of the temperature environment, whereas acetone is a direct metabolic product of ketone metabolisation.
Admittedly, that points to its being only a measure of fat metabolism, missing out on glycogen, glucuneogenesis, sundry dietary carbs etc.

(Mel Fischer) #556

I bought this device and mine is reading .13 consistently. Testing on sober friends as well!

(Dan Dan) #557

There are several models which one?
and you say it blows .13 for everybody?

(Mel Fischer) #558

I bought the one that was noted on the original post of this thread- AT6000 on eBay. Looks like everyoneā€™s readings are varying.

(Dan Dan) #559

I donā€™t understand what you are trying to say?

please clarify :thinking:

(Mel Fischer) #560

I donā€™t know how else to explain Dan. Perhaps you should put in some effort and read the entire thread from the beginning.

(Dan Dan) #561

LOL I have spent many hours research on the cheap breathalyzer if you had read the thread you would know.

I own 3 and they are very accurate to each other and correlate to the ketonix.

I truly wanted to help you but am not sure what you mean

not sure why a simple question warrants a snarky response ?

MelF
I have spent the last 3 hours reading this entire thread and copying and pasting important information as I am new to keto. I have chronic illnesses as well as autoimmune diseases but have been making progress and am no longer bedridden. I have made great strides in my health over the past 2 years. :slight_smile:
I have been attempting a ketogenic diet for 2 months and have implemented a lot of what I have learned into my daily life as well as investigating my response to each change. I would like to purchase the BAC but am curious as to what model you purchased from those referred to above:

GREENWON AT6000 Professional Breathalyzer with Semi-conductor Sensor and LCD Display Digital Breath Alcohol Tester with 5 Mouthpieces Fit
GREENWON Professional Breathalyzer with Semi-conductor Sensor and LCD Display Digital Breath Alcohol Tester with 5 Mouthpieces
GREENWON keychain on Ebay

I plan to compare my results with my husband and son who are not keto at all.
To clarify, are you stating that the BAC you purchased displayed a reading of 0.13 on everyone who has used it? Was the AT6000 purchased on Ebay a Greenwon brand or another manufacturer (as I have seen several that are made by other entities but state the model as AT6000)?

Any input would be helpful for me before I make a final purchase.
Thank you.

Hello guys, i have a cheap greenwon breathalyser. I excercise every day, i have a low body fat percentage, and i cant get anything from the breathalyser except the zero. I even fasted 24h, with excercise in the middle of the day, and still nothing. The only time that i got a result (0.5) from it was on the days i didnt train. I didnt excercise because i didnt feel well and got fever later that day, but that is not importantā€¦
Does someone have some explaination?

(Mel Fischer) #565

Hi Eileen, This is the one I bought

Yes, my readings are consistently .13. I have not tested blood yet, but will post when I do. Good luck!

Thanks MelF!
That looks like the Greenwon AT6000 that I ordered on Amazon a few minutes ago.
I also ordered the cheaper Greenwon that looks like a little black gun with an orange LCD.

Did you use your BAC on anyone else besides yourself to see the difference?
Iā€™m hoping to get my husband on board with being interested in some diet improvements and I thought that if we had 2, he could also take one to work.