Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

Yeah, me too. It’s helping me a lot. I over-ate pistachios today and it was very clear about them knocking me out of ketosis. I love that I can use it all day and after every meal. The quirks soon become apparent.

I should clarify above. A quick drink of water or carbonated water.

(Ben) #99

I’m enjoying using mine too :slight_smile:
It’s keeping me on the straight and narrow - now I have it and it’s showing that I’m in ketosis, I want to stay that way.
I’m conducting my own n=1 with it to see how many glasses of wine and beer I can have without being kicked out.

So far 2 pints of beer is OK, 2 pints of beer three days in a row isn’t (not a habit - a few socials over Easter)

You’ve lost me on how that would work. The breathalyzer measure alcohol and acetone as equals. So if the alcohol kicks you out of ketosis the breath meter will still show a reading.

(Ben) #101

I measure the following morning

Ah, now I’m curious too.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #103

Just got mine. Looks like @Lolo’s, but “Greenwon” branded. Mine came with a box, even. Fancy.

Tried it a few times. Seem to be consistently reading between 0.03 and 0.05 BAC.

The manual said to wait 3 min between testing, I guess to allow the sensor time to clear the last breath. Testing without blowing right after testing will still sometimes register high BAC levels.

The keto urine testing strips I have are showing mid-level ketones, so certainly seems like the meter is consistent with that. Hopefully, this will be a cheap way of at least getting a yes/no answer for ketosis.

(Stephanie Hanson) #104

I would love to know his results as the professional ones are supposed to distinguish alcohol from acetone.

(Stephanie Hanson) #105

I just ordered the AT6000. I have a ketonix and blood ketone meter. Lately, I feel like the ketonix is not as accurate as it used to be. It will blink green when my blood ketones are over 1. In the past, if my blood ketones were high, it would blink red. I don’t plug it into my laptop anymore b/c the software collides with my anti-virus program and is always shutting down. I just count blinks.

It’ll be interesting to see if the cheaper one will give a result that correlates with the ketonix or BK.

BTW, I bought a different cheap one when I first started keto and it had crazy fluctuations that made no sense. So even the cheap versions may have variation.

I look forward to hearing your results.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #107

48 hours fasted and I guess I really shouldn’t drive! :smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #108

Seems odd to me, but I started a (fat-supplemented) fast last night, so I’m theoretically around 18 hours fasted, and yet my readings are currently lower (0.02 vs 0.05) than when I was just IFing with just breakfast.

I have to wonder how much the readings are affected by what you’ve had to drink prior to testing (I’ve had coffee, and salt water with some sugar-free drink mix).

I’ve only been testing for a couple of days, so I don’t have much data to work with yet.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #109

I had surgery yesterday and was 24 hours fasted before that. I still don’t have an appetite, so I figured I’d just continue with the fast for a bit longer. Only thing I’ve had by mouth is water with a bit of lemon juice. I had saline by IV but no glucose (by my request).

(G. Andrew Duthie) #110

Perhaps the sensor technology has improved in the last 10 years (one would hope), but this is still an interesting read on the topic of breathalyzers and ketones:

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/05/21/low-carbers-beware-the-breathalyzer/

I do wonder about the question of whether what’s being detected is isopropinol or acetone. If it’s the former, then it might be wise for low-carb/keto folks to be prepared to ask for a blood alcohol test after a traffic stop, as Eades suggests.

(Roxanne) #111

I have yet to buy a cheap meter but he told me that their sensors are smart enough to ignore ketones

(Stephanie Hanson) #112

My brother is a LEO and told me the same. I hope Sure hope so as our numbers are growing

My AT6000 arrived today and I am getting consistent readings of 0.09-0.12 BAC
My first couple of attempts I got a zero reading, and the issue for those registering 0.00 BAC would most likely be the blowing technique.
What i would suggest for those not getting a score (and are expecting a positive reading because they are in ketosis) is to:

1. do not blow too hard, a very gentle blow is sufficient, and
  2. do not take a deep breath before you blow, instead blow when your lungs are almost empty
    when I do the above I get a reading EVERY time

(Roxanne) #114

Thanks for the tips. I finally broke down and ordered one on eBay - estimated one month delivery time!

(paul ) #115

so i am going to order mine today but what is a good reading, anything or .05 and up?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #116

Wish I knew. I rarely see lower than 0.03, but the highest I’ve seen is 0.06, and that only once.

It seems clear there’s a difference between keto and non-keto, though, as my wife, who is not keto, got a 0.00 reading.

I should have my older son try it in the morning, as I’ve heard (on the most recent 2KD podcast with Tom Naughton) that kids shift into and out of keto readily, and that kids who aren’t eating a lot of sugar probably end up in ketosis overnight most nights. Given my son’s build, that wouldn’t surprise me.

(paul ) #117

Thanks Dev. Good to know i have been in ketosis for 5 months and lost good weight (50), but now its coming off alittle slower and the sticks seem to be getting lighter also> I chaulk this up to being in Ketosis so long. I am still less then 10carbs a day, every day and never have a cheat day. I bought a blood meter but you need a morgtage to buy the sticks so I wanted to try the breathalyzer.