Taurine specifically as a supplement

taurine

(PJ) #1

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/clc.4960080507

^ growth hormone!

I had no idea. I have some, I’m going to start taking the stuff.

Are there any keto folks who take this has a supplement? I searched and found a few posts but they were all pretty old.

(Bunny) #2

Taurine (Amino Sulfonic Acid) is derived from Cysteine (e.g. eggs or produced endogenously) and specifically effects the hydration of cells and used very specifically for the conjugation[1] of bile acids by intestinal bacteria and the liver[2], here is TD’s take on it:

Why Taurine Isn’t Bad

footnotes:

[1] Conjugation: the temporary union of two bacteria or unicellular organisms for the exchange of genetic material.

image link

[2] “…Bile acids are conjugated with taurine or glycine residues to give anions called bile salts. Primary bile acids are those synthesized by the liver. Secondary bile acids result from bacterial actions in the colon. …Bile acids comprise about 80% of the organic compounds in bile (others are phospholipids and cholesterol). …More

(PJ) #3

Thanks. I see people saying it helps with sleep (or even that they can’t take it because of how it makes them sleep deeply and long). Between accidental keto (I’m not on plan right now, I just eat that way naturally 90% of the time) and menopause, sleep is one of my primary issues right now. So it seemed like even that part would be worth trying it as a significant supplement for awhile to see what it’s like.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I tried it to help with my sleep pattern, made 0 difference. I still go through long periods of restless or no sleep night regularly. At least with keto WOE, I have some energy to get through the day.

(Bunny) #5

I have a big bottle of taurine sitting in my bin of supplements and I forgot why I bought it, so trying remember what biological pathway I was experimenting with that would make me buy a huge bottle of taurine?

Will ponder on this a bit because it does something really neat other than just the basic info because it interacts with something else and does a something that would have been important enough for me to buy it?

(PJ) #6

Hey here’s one I hadn’t seen

The link is:
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep07467