Taking Me into Keto with a Sauna

keto
science

(Jenny) #1

Happy New Year Folks!
Getting back on the Keto train after a short time off. Was wondering if taking a sauna will help me get into ketosis faster? I plan on some intermittent fasting and daily yoga and thought it would make sense that a daily 30-40 minutes in an infrared sauna should help speed up the process, right?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

I have no idea but you will lose some fluids so remember to rehydrate and maybe a dab of salt. I usually lose 2 to 3 lbs in the steam room if I stay long enough.

(Sheri Knauer) #3

While I believe sauna has benefits for detoxifying, I don’t think you should use it as a way to ‘get into ketosis faster’. First, I don’t think it will make a difference. Second, after a few days of eating whole foods, keeping carbs to 20g or less, moderating your protein, and eating healthy fat to satiety, you will be producing ketones and running on fat. If you only took a short time off keto, then your body should not have to go through the same adaptation phase as it did when you were starting at ground zero. Approach this as a way of life and there should be no rush to “get into ketosis”.

(Frank) #4

Me too! Not a big surprise since I take 4-5 saunas a week. I look at sauna as a way to reduce stress and for sleep hygiene. The metabolic positives are a side effect for me personally.

Not at all jealous. Not a bit. Honestly. Really. :wink:

(Jenny) #6

Wow! Nice Sauna Mnketo46! Built it yourself? 4-5x per week? I need to up my game! I figured with it upping my metabolism this will help in a big way.

(Frank) #7

First thing I built after we bought the house in 2001.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

You don’t ‘run on fat’ until you are fat adapted and that can take upwards of 6-8 weeks. You don’t just switch to fat, your body needs to learn how.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

That’s a kick arse Sauna ;D

(Frank) #10

Thanks Katie!

(Running from stupidity) #11

*arse

You of ALL people should know that…

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #12

You’re like my personal grammar Nazi :wink:
What would I do without you? Lol

(Sheri Knauer) #13

She had mentioned that she was keto, then took a short time off, so she has already gone through the initial adaption phase coming from a SAD diet. If she only took a short time off, the transition back to being a fat burner won’t take as long, it all depends on what “short time off” means.

(Jenny) #14

“short time off” was less than a month. I ate mostly keto but had specific meals in a few days were I was definitely not keto.

(Sheri Knauer) #15

Awesome! Then it should really take you no time to get back to being a fat burner if you keep your carbs to 20g or less, moderate your protein, and fat to satiety. Sauna though for the health benefits of that, not to get into ketosis. I have a sauna and love it! I use it 3-4x per week.

(Alec) #17

Nope.