Taking butter with me on a flight

(Phoenix) #1

I will be traveling in 2 weeks time to Taiwan to visit my nanna and have to go on a 11hr flight from Australia.

Has anyone tried taking butter / avocado / cured meat onto a flight before to compensate for inflight food?

(Mike W.) #2

I would keep it less than 3 oz with the butter.

(Alex Dipego) #3

Traveled to Italy from the US with 2 stops… I just ate a ribeye and eggs before leaving and fasted.

I would not take something that could so easily become a liquid mess if I were you. You could take a packed lunch a sit were probably? 11 hours though - I would be tempted to eat well pre flight and then simply fast with plenty of fluids during the flight and eat at the next local meal time. It is also a good way to combat jet lag.

(Phoenix) #5

Thanks for the tips guys, just mentally prepping myself, I think if I have a decent meal beforehand I would be ok to fast, it will just be a challenge when I see other people eating.
I haven’t seen my relatives for more than 4 years, it’s going to be a tough week with lots of eating and Taiwanese food temptation.

Does it have to be butter?

If you took coconut oil you could have a small jar. Since it is non-animal and also has cosmetic uses it’s less likely to cause a fuss with flight inspection. Just say it’s for your skin.

(Alex Dipego) #7

I saw both dinner and breakfast and they looked very unappetizing

(Phoenix) #8

Fingers crossed!

(Phoenix) #9

That’s a great idea! I was just thinking of something small, and not smelly :slight_smile:

(Roxanne) #10

Yup, coconut oil is my go-to when travelling, and i even take it to meetings and add it to my coffee, much to the disgust of those around me. Nuts are also handy to have on hand, or chunks of cheese.

(jketoscribe) #11

Although fasting might be nice, the stress of travel can play games with your hormones, and I’d hate to be stuck in a plane for 16 hours with nothing to eat. That’s not the same as a 5 hour cross-country flight! At least have some food with you in case you really need to eat.

You can fill these tubes with coconut oil, nut butters, even real butter and then even freeze them. They work really well–leak-proof and airline-approved. I went to a conference yesterday and used one to bring my own coconut milk for coffee and it worked great. They are easy to fill and to clean.

Nuts and jerky travel well. Perhaps some low carb baked goods you make–I often travel with almond flour crackers I make. Maybe some canned pate in a tiny can (I’d suggest tuna or sardines but they are too stinky to eat on a plane).

You might have an issue with “agricultural products” like avocado, though. You won’t be able to take an agricultural products in to Taiwan, not even the pit and skins to throw away.

Be careful. Those things eventually fail (leak) as they are low quality silicon that will start to crack after a few years or hot/cold shifting. Happened to me several times. Flight approved plastic bottles are better and cheaper.

(danjo171) #13

I often carry a bag of pork belly cut into small pieces.

i dont see the major area of concern…just dont eat. If you get hungry guzzle some water or drink black coffee. You probably have gone 11 hours without food many many times.

If you just must have food eat a large streak before you go.

You take a stick of butter and they will probably think its C4 LOL. Those overweight TSA gropers would have a field day with that LOL.

11 hours is not that long. Your not going to die of starvation. i have full confidence in you that if you have come this far with keto you can handle a plane ride.

(Phoenix) #15

Yeah, I can totally fast for 24 hours if I want to without feeling hungry, but usually I am occupied with something to distract myself and not be thinking about food.
Being confined in a space where other people are eating around me in my full view at set meal time is a complete different situation, and not one I have had the experience of so far.
Being still relatively new to this WOE makes me slightly nervous, so I just want to have a plan B that all.

Really appreciate all the useful suggestions!

(Vivian) #16

I have taken 1tbs packets of coconut oil, a 3 oz container of HWC, keto friendly meat bars, macadamia nuts.

plan b is coconut oil. I basically always have an emergency jar at the gym but i have never had to use it since i am not in the 4% bodyfat range yet.

Hungry cravings are like nicotine cravings. They pass. They are just a signal your brain is sending you that it needs fat or its going to go into fat storage reserves. They are a positive thing in one aspect but a mistake people make is to get emotional and start guzzling down fat. i deal with it through relaxation and just acept the fact that if i want this dead weight off me its all just part of the process.

i wouldnt stress to much. Worse comes to worse and you go in on an empty stomach eat a bag of peanuts from the flight.

Best thing i can think of is a big steak and eggs meal before you go. 11 hours is not long. Take a book on fitness to keep you motivated.

I have faith in you. If you made it through keto flu you can do it.

I like these for travel. https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Serving-Brain-Brew-Premium/dp/B01LZ73FXY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490743460&sr=8-1&keywords=brain%2Bbrew&th=1