Switching from plate fat to body fat

(German Ketonian) #1

I have a question regarding the switch from plate to body fat. Take yesterdays OMAD for instance: 2700kcals, 265 fat, 50 protein, 20 carbs in the evening around 6 pm. Right now, its roughly 12 hours later, 6am the next morning. I would like to know, given the amount of calories, how long it takes before the body again uses body fat instead of plate fat.

Since beginning intermittent fasting and essentially the warrior diet for most of the time, I have also noticed that my blood ketones are through the roof. I measure right in the morning when I get up. Yesterday morning , they were 4,3, today, 12 hours after my last meal, they are 6,4. The question is, however: Is it body fat or plate fat that drive the ketones this way?

Good questions, looking forward to some of the answers

(MooBoom) #3

I too would like to see if this is able to be answered! Good question.

(Mandy) #4

Another vote for… I have no idea but I’d love to hear the replies.

(Allie) #5

Based purely on the fact that my blood ketones get as high as 7.5mmol when I’m water fasting, I’ll assume it’s from bodyfat. Beyond that, I don’t give it any thought because science makes my head hurt.

(German Ketonian) #6

:laughing:

(German Ketonian) #7

The problem with this logic of high ketones while fasting is that it is not really saying much in my case. I have had my highest reading (8,6 mmol/L) after a 10000kcals keto cheat day (consisting mainly of butter, olive oil, cream, cheese and sausage. And that was definitely plate fat! :slight_smile:

(Raj Seth) #8

My understanding about measured ketones in urine or blood is that those are excess “spilled” ketones. I would have to guess that as your body really learns it’s demand cycle for running on fat, the excess ketones would decline.

But since lipolysis is probably driven by fat demand from the bulk of the body, and ketones are only a by-product, my understanding may be a misunderstanding :man_shrugging:t3:

(German Ketonian) #9

Breath ketones at least are not really “spilled”. Rather, they indicate “usage”, if my physiological understanding does not fool me. But I am happy to be corrected.

(Mark Rhodes) #10

I would not trust BHB to be an indicator as it has been stated it is more of a potential marker than used. Blood Glucose should drop below your baseline indicating that insulin to has dropped. Having a lower insulin level signals that storage is not the body’s operandi but instead must now rely on lipolysis.

Check out this link from Richard: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) It should bring you to a nifty graphic, if not look through the thread.

(Karen) #11

I notice that too when fasting. No ketones lately, but ADFd for a couple of times and I’m back to smelling ketones on my breath, must be body fat. Plus dropped a few pounds.

Note: I don’t use ketostix. I can smell ketones…

K

(Mark Rhodes) #12

That is what the Ketonix does! Saved yourself two hundred bucks :grin:

(German Ketonian) #13

I use a breathalizer. If I register on that, I am ketosis. Apart from that, I can smell and taste that I am in ketosis, especially after drinking water or salted water. Coffee rather takes that smell/teste away temporarily (although I am still in ketosis). Its this weird odor in your mouth that you can party smell and taste that seems to indicate my level of ketosis. If it is strong, I know i am somewhere beyond 4 mmol/L at least.

(German Ketonian) #14

But returning to the original question: I am always in ketosis whether I use plate or body fat. I just wonder when the plate fat is depleted in the body and the body switches to its reserves. This largely pertains to metabolic rate.

What also interests me is whether this transition is completely smooth, or if, even in ketosis, there is some period where there is lack of energy and hunger due to this switch happening.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Dave Feldman has several videos on how the body manages fat, both exo- and endogenous, on his Web site, www.cholesterolcode.com.