Sweetners and basic help

(Britney) #1

Hi! New here! I am having trouble with sweetners like Sweve, erythritol, stevia, et cetera! I love coffe but need it sweet. How much should I have a day… how much is too much? I have read mixed information trying to figure this out and am so confused. I saw an experiment where a couple tested their blood sugar before and after ingesting different types of sweetners to see which ones have an affect and stevia, erythritol and a few others had no affect on their blood sugars. In another article I’ve read that your body absorbs half of what you consume… any light on this would help me. I have been on keto for three weeks now and am still hungry, tired… ughhh trying to stay within 1300 cals for slight weight loss… not a lot -10lbs-as it’s just a thin layer I’ve accumulated over my 46 years… I’m really doing it fot the mental and physical health benefits but I feel more tired and foggy now. I am active used to do circuit training and weights and classes at my gym. Sometimes I feel too tired to work out… I am Walking my dogs 30-60 minutes on other days… usually staying within my below 20 carbs (sometimes go over a bit on weekends) fat at 100 and protein 40-80…
any help, pointers?? Thanks bunches in advance!! Feel like I’m just spinning my wheels!

(Rebecca) #2

Did you cut calories when you made the switch to keto? If you did, maybe go back to your original calorie level until you get a bit more adapted. Sounds like your body is still trying to figure things out. I’m almost 4 months in and my calorie count is still around the same, give or take a few hundred cals.

As far as sweeteners go, was that Keto connect you saw with the testing? I love them. I’ve always followed the rule that sweeteners should be used at a minimum but I don’t think having some in your coffee each morning will do harm, I guess it depends on how much you’re consuming. Some people are able to wean themselves from sweet coffee over time so maybe that’s something to work towards. Try blending butter and coconut oil into your coffee instead and see if that helps. I’ve never been a sweet coffee person so I don’t know from experience but I know you’re not alone. Maybe someone else who has worked through this can offer more specific feedback. Try some different ones and see what works for you. Every person responds differently.

Good luck!!

(Rebecca) #3

The fog you’re feeling right now is pretty normal. It took me about 6 weeks for my performance in the gym to return to normal and then it just got better from there. Stick with it!!

(Pete A) #4

Sounds like you’re doing great, and your body is responding to the changes. Macros sound good, activity level etc.

As far as sweeteners I’ve tried and actually use them all regularly. I too require strong, sweet coffee. I’m sure I could do without them, but they haven’t had an affect on my weight loss or being in ketosis, so I stopped fretting about it. But that’s me, you have to see what works for you!

Keep trucking.

(Britney) #5

Thank you! That helps!

(Britney) #6

Thank you so much! It is really nice to be able to ask questions and receive advice/answers. I keep doubting myself here and there on what I’m doing, so this helps me. This is my first post anywhere, except on FB regarding recipes.
Yes, it was Keto Connect I saw the sweetener test done! I like them, too!

Thanks again for your input and time :slight_smile: