Sweeteners, substitutes, and health

sweeteners

This voice is very soothing.

Do artificial sweeteners raise blood glucose because of a stress response?

:rofl:

IDK how anyone could think it healthy but yeah, people believe so many odd things… I have read the “common misconception” wikipedia page yesterday, had some surprises (and very many very familiar ones already).

Interesting vidfeo title… I usually see what part of which living being I buy but that may be hardcore for normal folks.

And while I don’t have any particular problem with the sweeteners in my household myself, it always felt very logical to me that as they aren’t food, we should minimize them. And I did. Carnivore definitely helped a lot with it… :wink: Strong sweetness is overrrated (though nice sometimes), I say now.

This is a short video so if the voice is nice, I will listen to it.
Maybe I will limit my options even more that way… It’s not necessarily bad…

1. Yep, I read that. I prefer my food not having a label with ingredient list (and my two main pillars in my diet don’t) but it often has so yep, I do that.

I don’t consider flavorings so bad, surely some are worse than others but I don’t go that deep. Flavorings can be tasty and helpful sometimes. Of course my normal food should be tasty because the main ingredients are tasty. But I am not like some people who avoid flavorings and food colorings as the plague while most probably happily eating much worse things galore… I don’t add such stuff willy-nilly, far from it. But if it helps in some situation? My body can handle them. The amount is tiny and occasional, after all.

1. I don’t like to worry as a hedonist but I do need to be careful with fat. I don’t worry about sugar, normally as my carnivore sugars are quite fine even if they are high :slight_smile: It’s so cool, the same amount of sugar on keto wasn’t nearly as good.
    Some of us totally should be careful about fat and/or sugar. Some even need to focus on salt. I just eat according to taste and it’s good. Just like water. Fat is the problematic one.

I am sure replacing sugar with sweetener helps many. (At least, their teeth :smiley: But even their fat-loss journey.) And doesn’t help others but why would it? They still eat calorie-rich and possibly easy to overeat, not satiating sweets… Lots of added sugar is a problem (for some of us, even a smallish amount of plant sugar is a problem) but not the only one.
One can eat high-fat without added sugar, my SO does that.
And even keto can’t help with fat-loss if the one in question is me. The fat is just too much (and it’s so low compared to my high-carb times, I am missing little from that time but the very high fat, I still daydream about eating - almost - as much fat as I desire again…).

No, not the glutamate drives excess consumption in my case… Potato can be eaten almost forever. It’s super tasty (just potato and salt. and butter please! it’s way better that way) and has close to zero satiation effect on me (as it carbs). It’s not always the added stuff. But it may be, sure.

Oh yes I agree, pizza is a traditional, normal food. It’s a bread. It has plenty of flour so not good for everyone but it doesn’t deserve to call junk food or whatnot.

What. Eating real food isn’t more expensive, it’s the least expensive if we chose the ingredients well… It’s so known that cooking our own food is the cheapest (unless we buy more luxurious items but it’s still way cheaper than buying it from some classy restaurant where they use a comparable ingredient)! I don’t think poor people really can afford ultraprocessed food as it’s overpriced… I don’t understand that part.
Just look at it. Oats - cheap. Instant oats - super expensive. Bread is way cheaper to make too, gluten is way cheaper than seitan (and I made WAY better I am sure. not like I ever bought seitan but mine is just perfect. the secret ingredient is lard. even mine isn’t as good without it)… Coconut or almond milk made by ourselves barely cost anything but it’s expensive to buy.

Oh no I got fat because I ate a fattening (due to low satiation effect) HCHF diet. It didn’t matter it contained little overprocessed stuff (that was the norm I suppose, at least compared to the average person. my normal meals were cooked by simple ingredients, my sweets, yep, they were often quite processed. not always, Mom made great sweets).

So emulsifier is my new enemy…? :thinking: That should I bring down from minimal to zero? I will read labels regarding that :slight_smile: And get more info.

(Edith) #3

I can’t watch/listen to your video at the moment, but I recently listened to a podcast with Dr. Robert Lustig. During the interview, he mentioned how bad no-calorie sweeteners are. Not all of them raise insulin, but there was a study where they gave people a drink of no-calorie sweetener in the morning and even if it didn’t increase their insulin, it actually made them eat more at their other meals throughout the rest of the day.

The interview is what finally got me completely off of non-caloric sweeteners.

The non-caloric sweetener part of the discussion was at the 2:26:40 mark.

This is the paper:
https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2016225

It may be so in general but what about the individual cases? Some people surely responds differently and eating more isn’t necessarily a problem (yeah, there was talk about the obesity epidemic but still, it’s not necessarily a problem. one may go keto, eat too little and feel miserable but some sweets may solve the problem. yes, it’s better with normal food, not like sweets aren’t normal, mine totally are but it may be the best option to someone. there is a reason I half-lived on sweets as a beginner and it was the best I could do at that time. I didn’t undereat though, I ate too much… but with sweets, I could keep my net carbs as low as possible)… And what if I eat my no-calorie sweetener at 9pm and don’t eat anything afterwards?

But as it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to quit sweeteners, the idea didn’t even emerge :smiley: Who cares what happens if I do if it won’t happen? (Fine, if it gave me something super cool, I may be able to do it… But alas, just quitting sweeteners does little for me. I just eat more sugar anyway… Carnivore definitely had that effect. Way less sweeteners even on my off days but - probably just a bit - more sugar, on and off alike. Not like that is necessarily a problem but it can be. Sometimes I wonder what I should eat when I want sweets, sugar or sweetener… If I stick to carnivore, it must be sugar but so much fat comes with it and I rather would eat it in my meat.)

The result makes sense to me, sweets easily could have this effect. We should know ourselves and eat accordingly. Sweets often triggers desire for more sweets. Less so if they are high protein, high fat and extreme low-carb, at least according to my experiences.

It’s clearly not simple, we are too different and there are way too many factors anyway. If I change a single thing in my eating, I may need a very different approach to get success or at least, not to quit soon due to feeling miserable. Sometimes we must keep our sweet things to be okay with the other restrictions. At least temporarily (like a few decades in my case :upside_down_face:).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

No. They are not allowed to be sold by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, if they raise serum glucose. However, the cortisol that is part of a stress response can raise serum glucose all on its own.

What we find, anecdotally, at least, is that non-sugar sweeteners can raise people’s insulin, or that’s what we infer. The thing is that each person reacts differently to each sweetener, and a sweetener that appears to affect one person may have no apparent affect on another, and vice versa.

The real issue with sweeteners is that most of them, if not all, are metabolic poisons. For example, the fructose in table sugar damages the liver and causes mitochondrial damage to other cells. New research is showing that artificial sweeteners can also cause mitochondrial damage, and we are now learning just how important healthy mitochondria are to the health of cells, in many ways having nothing to do with ATP production, even.