Sweeteners are making me crazy!

(Ellie Baum) #22

Where are you based? There is a sukrin website for the US folks: https://sukrinusa.com/

I personally love their sweeteners. I feel like I can finally do keto desserts with their products that non keto folks eat.

I use plain, non-bulked sucralose powder. No aftertaste, does not lose flavor when in hot things. You only use a very small amount. I’m still using my first-ever package after 2 years. Probably still another year till it’s gone. Using this sweetener does not lead to further cravings in me.

(Mike W.) #24

This is unfortunately not true at all. It’s very very far removed from its “natural” state.
https://janeshealthykitchen.com/the-toxic-truth-stevia/

(Charlotte) #25

Not necessarily. This article is more than a bit alarmist in my opinion (“a journey of deception and international intrigue that will make your hair stand up on end”? Really?) and some of the sources cited do not really support the article’s claims. The article uses hyperbolic language–it lists alcohol, for example, as a “toxic solvent”. By that logic, you could also consider everything from vanilla extract to homemade tinctures to be made with a toxic solvent. All cited primary sources are 7 years old or older, or undated altogether. All newer sources are actually secondary sources with clear biases, also generally using pretty alarmist language, and therefore can’t be considered serious sources of relevant data.

According to the NOW website:

How is NOW’s stevia produced?

NOW’s stevia extract is produced utilizing a proprietary extraction process that uses only water and organic alcohol. The resulting extract is then prepared with a vegetarian-source enzyme (glucosyl transferase) to reduce the licorice-like and metallic aftertaste common in regular stevia extracts. NOW’s stevia is USDA certified organic.

We test our stevia extract to ensure the absence of contaminants, including:

GMOs
Pesticides
Fumigants
Irradiated ingredients
Solvents
Sulfur dioxide

NOW’s stevia is derived directly from the natural stevia plant and is organically grown and sustainably harvested and processed. The resulting product is USDA certified organic and non-GMO.

The only potentially weird ingredient here, then, is the glucosyl transferase enzyme. From a bit of quick google sleuthing, this appears to be a natural and non-harmful enzyme (though it’s possible I missed something in my search–a lot of the language was pretty scientific, which is admittedly not my forte). It doesn’t appear that NOW liquid stevia fits the article’s (unsupported) claim that “all ‘stevia’ in grocery stores is processed with toxic chemicals” (unless, I suppose, you consider alcohol a toxic chemical. But even if you do, NOW also has alchohol-free versions available that use vegetable glycerin instead). I feel comfortable using this specific brand of liquid stevia, and would absolutely consider it to be a natural product with natural ingredients.

Ultimately, though, as with all food, the only way you’re going to be 100% certain about how something is made is to make it yourself, and you can easily make stevia extract yourself at home, though it will have a bit more of the bitter aftertaste than most commercially available products. I honestly don’t find the aftertaste too bothersome, and it’s something you get used to over time. Here is a great step-by-step recipe for making homemade stevia with vodka (as is usual for making tinctures). In the “kitchen notes” section, she also links to a recipe for making it with only water if you prefer an alchohol-free version (the water version won’t last nearly as long or be nearly as strong, though): https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/08/homemade-stevia-extract.html

Thanks! I really wanted Daves_Not_Here_Man, but it was already taken.

And yes, my comments re artificial sweeteners are directed at people, such as myself, who get stalled and use them as a crutch, only to find they impede progress.

Nice, informative post. It makes me curious if I could attempt a tincture of hyssop. I have loads of that around here.

(Charlotte) #28

I’m sure you could! A quick google would probably give you some easy instructions, and you can pretty much make an easy tincture out of any plant. My mother used to make tinctures all the time when I was a kid from various herbs in her garden, and most take 6-8 weeks (stevia is unusual in how short an amount of time you steep it for) – basically you’re just steeping it in high-proof vodka, rum or everclear in a clean covered jar, putting it in a dark cabinet, and maybe giving it a shake every once in awhile. So easy.

(Sarah Bruhn) #29

I don’t find stevia erythrytol blends cause problems for me, no cravings and no stalling caused by it, it depends on the person.